Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phentermine after RNY?

Hi everyone :)

I’ve finally gotten to the point that I’ve accepted the fact that I am stuck at my set point and this isn’t going to “work for me” any longer. It’s more than frustrating and I’ve really lost my hope that I had in the first few months after surgery.

I’m 10.5 months out from RNY and while I am very happy with my 55 pound loss, I (and my team) had expected much more. I was a “lightweight” before surgery at 240 pounds and I’m 5’4”. I’m now at 185 (give or take 3 pounds) and I e been here since a few months out. I lost 33 pounds the first month, 11 pounds the second month, 4 pounds the third month, 2 pounds the fourth month, went up 4 pounds for month five, 5 pounds in month six, 4 pounds for month seven. Since then I have lost nothing.

I get 80-100 g of Protein daily, 64+ Oz of fluids daily, take all my supplements except my B12 because it was too high at 6 and 9 months. I’m actually following the rules- except I have SF cocoa in the am instead of coffee which has some caffeine in it. I’m now up to 6oz per meal which I usually can’t finish- I’m eating 2-3 of those and 2 Premiere Protein Shakes every day and although my team doesn’t want us counting calories (just portion size, protein and fluids) - MFP says I’m getting between 800-1000 calories a day.

At my 9 month appointment last month my NUT says I need to eat more and even though I protested- I was terrified of gaining- she ended up convincing me that although I may gain a few pounds at first, it would go away within a couple of weeks- and probably end up losing more! So I tried it- big mistake! I ended up gaining from 185 to 189.6. At that point I was so scared of going back to the 190’s that I went back to eating the way I’ve been eating before her suggestion-

When I talked to my surgeon he said that it isn’t what’s expected but he has seen it happen. When I asked why they do in these cases he said that sometimes they have to use meds to speed up the metabolism- that if my thyroid is low, he’d obviously use synthroid but my levels have always been fine - so he then said they would use phentermine if necessary- he said that my metabolism is just shot- (in a very gentle, kind way- as I type it that sound flippant but he really wasn’t)

Well I haven’t ever used weight loss meds and it scares me- I really thought that the RNY was “last shot” - I just don’t know what my it hasn’t “worked” - I know it’s just a tool that I need to use in my overall weight loss plan- but I’m exercising3-4x a week with a trained 3 of those times- doing 30 minutes of cardio and then about 30-40 minutes of resistance work- I’m following my plan and nothing-

The awful thing is that before surgery I told them all that I really didn’t think it was going to work- I had truly done everything I knew how to do before surgery and nothing worked- I just never believed it was possible to get below 185 as it was a set point for about 10 years before I gained to 240 after my second child-

I guess my questions are why does this happen, how many of you have had this problem of only losing half the weight you need to, and what experiences have you all had with phentermine- specifically the one with topamax in it-

Wow! I am just tearing up this ridiculously long post! I am so sorry it’s become so long- you all are so wonderful to listen to everyone’s problems and successes- and then reply with really thoughtful comments- I must read a bazillion posts a day on here looking for help and am so grateful for you all- so thank you from the bottom of my heart for listening-

I am so happy for those of you who have found success with these surgeries- you are so inspiring - congratulations!

Goodluck. He knows best. I would never use it after wls the small amount you can eat that heavy drugs you will be shaking. I tried it before wls.

I started of 244 3 months later I've lost 42lbs. I had a sleeve. I would be frustrated if things moved at your pace but I heard the same about light weights. And still you have lost a considerable amount of weight.

I don't know meal sizes for RNY but if I was still in the weight loss phase and in a stall it would be 3 ounces Protein 1 ounce low starch veg each meal. If you don't shift a lb then something is wrong.

Thanks DreamingSmall for replying :)
I could go back to 4 Oz per meal- that’s probably all I’m eating anyway- I can never finish the 6oz meals- but I don’t want to ruin my metabolism any further than it is-
I’ve read that after you stop the phentermine you regain it all- is this right?

You are eating a little less than 6 ounces 3X daily plus 2 Premier Protein shakes....What are you eating for those 3 meals? Can we have an example? Also, where are your total calories at daily? Are you snacking, and on what if you are?

If you are not snacking at all, and your 3 meals are low carb, you should still be losing weight, albeit slowly. Your weight is only about 9 or 10 pounds from being in a normal range for your height, so it might be a little harder to lose quickly.

You have also been doing resistance work, which will aid you in building muscle. You could have put on 10 pounds of muscle, and lost 10 pounds of fat, which would keep you the same weight, but make you leaner.

Society makes us believe that we should all be the same weight based upon some model that they created, but it just doesn't work that way. I am 6'2", and 249 pounds. I am MUCH leaner than another guy that I work with, which is 6'1 and 235 pounds. My body composition is more muscle, and his is more fat.

If your diet is on point, then keep doing what you are doing. You will see results over time. Maybe not on the scale, but in the way your clothes fit, and definitely in the way that you look.

I have taken phentermine. I would NEVER take it again. It gave me the jitters, and I gained all 50 pounds back and then some after I stopped taking the drug. You cannot stay on it, and must do cycles. Not worth it in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, DropWt4Life said:

You are eating a little less than 6 ounces 3X daily plus 2 Premier Protein shakes....What are you eating for those 3 meals? Can we have an example? Also, where are your total calories at daily? Are you snacking, and on what if you are?

If you are not snacking at all, and your 3 meals are low carb, you should still be losing weight, albeit slowly. Your weight is only about 9 or 10 pounds from being in a normal range for your height, so it might be a little harder to lose quickly.

You have also been doing resistance work, which will aid you in building muscle. You could have put on 10 pounds of muscle, and lost 10 pounds of fat, which would keep you the same weight, but make you leaner.

Society makes us believe that we should all be the same weight based upon some model that they created, but it just doesn't work that way. I am 6'2", and 249 pounds. I am MUCH leaner than another guy that I work with, which is 6'1 and 235 pounds. My body composition is more muscle, and his is more fat.

If your diet is on point, then keep doing what you are doing. You will see results over time. Maybe not on the scale, but in the way your clothes fit, and definitely in the way that you look.

I have taken phentermine. I would NEVER take it again. It gave me the jitters, and I gained all 50 pounds back and then some after I stopped taking the drug. You cannot stay on it, and must do cycles. Not worth it in my opinion.

My diet is on plan. and is not low carb. as my plan isn't low carb. And weightloss is still happening. But I understand its a good tool to speed things up. Well I'm not intentionally low carb I eat what ever is on my plan lol and I don't eat bread because it fills me but I'd eat fruit if I had space lol

1 hour ago, Finding Erika said:

Thanks DreamingSmall for replying :)
I could go back to 4 Oz per meal- that’s probably all I’m eating anyway- I can never finish the 6oz meals- but I don’t want to ruin my metabolism any further than it is-
I’ve read that after you stop the phentermine you regain it all- is this right?

Well

Ended up getting weight loss surgery after to that's your answer haha. Honestly the headaches paranoia and shakes were not worth it. I'd die feeling like that plus not eating much lol

That's a good point. I don't excersise so may lose weight faster than someone who is building muscle.