Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do u count protein and carbs??

Could u please tell me for 1000 calories how many grams of Protein and how many grams carbs???

I stick the plan of 3 OZ of Protein, 1 Oz of healthy fat and 2 OZ of fruit or vegetables every four hours.

I find that leads me to about 100g of protein, 60g Fat, and 60g of carbs every day.

I was obsessed with the magic numbers but found that too difficult to figure out. For me the simpler the better so the 3/2/1 OZ rule works for me Protein/Fruits&Vegtables/Fats. Also if I stuck to this rule I am consistently hitting the 1000 calories per day or just under.

I get almost all my fat from avocados or olive oil. I eat zero bread, rice and try to avoid any processed sugars. My sugar carbs come from the fruits.

It depends on what philosophy of eating you follow. I have followed a Keto way of eating since the first day of my six month pre-op diet program. I keep my carbs below 20 grams per day, and my Protein is usually somewhere around 150 grams per day.

But that's the road I have taken. Others do not limit their carbs as I do. But it has been a necessary step for me, and is an absolute key to my success.

Good luck!

It is just personal choice really. At 1000 calories you should lose no matter what. The trick is to find a way of eating that you can stick to without feeling like you are deprived.

Great advice and it shows there are many different ways to achieve the same goal. The Keto diet sounds like my second choice once I get more advanced in my plan. Right now 3/2/1 OZ rule works because it is simple to do no matter what eating situation I might find myself in while traveling.

I follow a Keto/LCHF plan too so I keep carbs to under 20g. According to some of the books I've perused (The Obesity Code, Good Calories-Bad Calories, etc), Protein also raises insulin, just not to the same extent as carbs. My protein intake is around 50-60 g, which is on the low end of what WLS dieticians recommend. I realize that most forum members eat much more protein than that with excellent results so I might not be the best example to follow.

13 hours ago, JeffN said:

Great advice and it shows there are many different ways to achieve the same goal. The Keto diet sounds like my second choice once I get more advanced in my plan. Right now 3/2/1 OZ rule works because it is simple to do no matter what eating situation I might find myself in while traveling.

Your plan looks appealing to me. I'm not eating currently because of I'll health. But when I start eating id like to follow this. Though I eat when well 3 ounces Protein 1 ounce veg perhaps the fat and fruit can be for snack. I don't do low carb but never fit in fruit but miss it. Maybe you can think of a plan for me as maybe a female needs less. I'm currently 5 foot 2 205lbs goal 135lbs I don't exceesise due to bad health so probably don't need as much food as you.

I just looked at my Lose It tracking for my macros. I also am not getting quite enough Protein even though I am trying. Around 60 grams a day. Carbs around 30-40 g a day. And fats shockingly around 80g a day. For around 1000 cals.

and I lose ounces EVERY DAY. I never had a stall yet. I'm at 11 weeks out. Everything I eat is normal fat. No Low or non fat. I eat no sugar, fruits, breads. Focus on Proteins. My "treats" are 85% or more dark chocolate and my homemade granola with no sugar but a touch of maple Syrup.

I stick the plan of 3 OZ of Protein, 1 Oz of healthy fat and 2 OZ of fruit or vegetables every four hours.
I find that leads me to about 100g of protein, 60g Fat, and 60g of carbs every day.
I was obsessed with the magic numbers but found that too difficult to figure out. For me the simpler the better so the 3/2/1 OZ rule works for me Protein/Fruits&Vegtables/Fats. Also if I stuck to this rule I am consistently hitting the 1000 calories per day or just under.
I get almost all my fat from avocados or olive oil. I eat zero bread, rice and try to avoid any processed sugars. My sugar carbs come from the fruits.

My Doctor's 3/2/1 is protein/fruits and veggies/ carbs.
Carbs instead of fats.

I'm at about 1200 calories a day currently. I typically get 70-90 grams of Protein and 90-100 grams of carbs per my NUT. I lost about 1-2 pounds a week typically and have lost 86 pounds since surgery.

I'm now almost one month post op and my sergeant told me yesterday to eat anything and everything ..but Protein first .. 6 small meals per day .. every meal size a half of cup .. anyone else is like that ???

I have been experimenting with my new way of eating, and I can tell you if I don't have close to 100g of Protein per day my weight loss drops off drastically. I am still losing weight because I am under 1000 calories per day but it has slowed.

I try to hit 80 grams of Protein each day, but after that, my diet varies greatly. Some days, I have mostly carbs, and some days, I have more fat. It depends on what I feel like eating that day. I do limit my sugar though, and that is the key for me.

My carbs are also mostly exclusively from fruit, nuts and seeds, ancient grains and Beans. I don't eat anything that is heavily processed either.

23 hours ago, Dolcy1182 said:

I'm now almost one month post op and my sergeant told me yesterday to eat anything and everything ..but Protein first .. 6 small meals per day .. every meal size a half of cup .. anyone else is like that ???

I use a lunchbox metal round container that is 3 ounces. It really guides me so I don’t eat too much and get a stomach ache. I will take it with me sometimes if I have to eat out. Or at least think of it and put what I can eat on a separate dish from what has been served.

i do not have to eat 6 times. Maybe 4? I just eat during the day when I feel the need for Protein to stay strong. Right now I am preferring to eat rather than drink the Protein Powder, so I mix it into full fat greek yogurt, adding flax seed and a bit of coconut Water to be able to mix those powders in. Then I put it into those little 3 ounce containers (I make enough for 2) and put them into my new Pokémon lunchbox with plastic spoons and a cold pack. When I need protein on the go I take a few bites. I was feeling a bit sick drinking the protein powder in milk, and this way I don’t, plus greek yogurt doubles the protein.

Can I eat row vegetables or not yet when u started to eat salad 🥗??