Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preexisting GERD and Gastric Sleeve?

I've heard that Gastric Sleeve can be worse for acid reflux sufferers. I've had GERD pretty severely -- but goes away when i don't eat certain foods -- for years. Now that I have my initial consult scheduled, I want to be prepared for if I need to consider bypass instead though i'd really prefer sleeve.

I am curious to hear from those whom had GERD and got gastric sleeve of how much worse your GERD is? Etc.

I never had much of an issue with GERD prior to sleeve. My surgeon did put me on a PPI after surgery, and said I would need to stay on that until 3 months post op. I am 6 weeks out, and for the last 2 days, have been battling severe reflux. It has made me sick several times. Not sure what the deal is...

I had GERD before my surgery, and all my gastro Doctor did was to prescribe me pills.

My VGS surgeon cured my GERD by fixing Hyanial Hernia. She said it was one of the worst she had seen and it took her over 45 minutes just to repair. My stomach was up in my esophagus and had to be pulled down. I have had zero issues with GERD since. I do take an anti-acid in the morning called OMEPRAZOL but was told that I could stop taking that in a few more weeks after my esophagus and stomach heal.

I found a few simple tricks to keep the acid down. I don't gulp Water I sip it very slowly. I drink water with lemon. I chew my food and when I think it is time to swallow I chew some more. I found that well-chewed food reduces the acid in your stomach because it has less work to do. I wait four hours between meals to allow what I have eaten to fully digest. Also, I had to learn what full was. It is now a GERD like feeling just under my breastbone. Once I feel that slight discomfort I am done eating not even another bite.

@codequeryI had GERD before surgery. They make you do an endoscopy prior to getting the sleeve and they said that I had a hiatal hernia and my GERD had been so bad prior to surgery and along with stress, I had a lot of ulcers. Basically the way they described the hiatal hernia to me was that my stomach was pushing up into my diaphragm up into my esophogas and that was what was causing my heart burn and nausea and pain all the time. I had a hiatal hernia repair during surgery and I rarelyyyyy get heartburn now. It was terrible before surgery and now I feel so much better. I hear some people say it gets worse, but maybe in my case since they did the hernia repair, it resolved my issue.

@JeffN looks like we had similar issues lol