Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keto diet for regain??

I am 4 yrs post VSG. I have regained a good amount of weight- I got back into drinking soda and I really believe it is a major culprit. Unfortunately i'm really struggling in that area, and I work a night shift job which goes against every grain of my being ( I DON'T sleep days, I have a terrible time staying awake at work, but only have about 15 months left because i'll be moving into a different career path after my post-graduate education is done).

Anyway, my hubs and I both have about 40 lbs to lose. I tried doing a 'bariatric' type diet, with lean Proteins and veg. didn't work too well, I was starved and only lasted 3 days. I tried going back to shakes- I have developed lactose intolerance and vomited from the smell/taste of whey even when I used almond milks. I tried doing a 'low carb' type approach which worked decently (only lasted about a week before I had to go back to work and that blasted soda grabbed hold again). I tried just stopping the soda but it didn't make a huge dent in my weight loss either (I drink mostly diet).

My hubs would like to try Keto. I am very nervous about it. I definitely buy into the major science behind it, but i'm scared with all the fats that i'll be in misery. I am very leery of dumping syndrome and think that the high levels of fat might have me bent over in pain. I don't have a gall bladder so dumping is a definite concern. while most people dump from sugar, my body is actually pretty tolerant to sugar, and I get dumping from fat and dairy (milk and ice cream only).

Has anybody had any success with keto, specifically for regain? thanks

Well really doing Keto is not super high fat. You set your Protein goals based on your lean mass. Then you set your other goals around that.

When I was trying to lose harder, my calories and fat grams and calories were lower.

These are my current macro goals, It is still a deficit daily but not as high.

7453a3e3e066170b847f8523f677ea44.png

This is what my macros used to be around 6 months post op, then I increased my protein based on my DEXA scans...

8d64e186b0e320281c6d9fa5ac51f7a2.png

Honestly I rarely hit my goal for fat, I always hit my goal for protein and I always keep my carbs under 25. This is how I have eaten pretty much the whole time.

The way you eat doesn't matter. What does matter is finding a way to eat that you can stick to easily while remaining on a calories deficit.

I thought you were getting a revision. You keep making the same posts over and over about regain but none of the advice anyone gives you seems to be sticking.

Your having issues being compliant. I would quite soda continuesly.

Also try going back to the plan you're team gave you. Keto works but not for chopping and changing.

8 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Well really doing Keto is not super high fat. You set your Protein goals based on your lean mass. Then you set your other goals around that.

When I was trying to lose harder, my calories and fat grams and calories were lower.

These are my current macro goals, It is still a deficit daily but not as high.

7453a3e3e066170b847f8523f677ea44.png

This is what my macros used to be around 6 months post op, then I increased my Protein based on my DEXA scans...

8d64e186b0e320281c6d9fa5ac51f7a2.png

Honestly I rarely hit my goal for fat, I always hit my goal for protein and I always keep my carbs under 25. This is how I have eaten pretty much the whole time.

The way you eat doesn't matter. What does matter is finding a way to eat that you can stick to easily while remaining on a calories deficit.

I thought you were getting a revision. You keep making the same posts over and over about regain but none of the advice anyone gives you seems to be sticking.

What is this website please

Hi everyone, just wanted to update. I QUIT soda immediately after having some ugly medical results come back. I've been off it for about a month. I also dove in and tried Keto, had great results.

Now that I feel like I've got a good handle on things, i'm trying to adjust a little bit to more of a low carb (40 a day) vs keto and seem to be doing well. changing my mindset was the key and i'm definitely headed in a good direction!

Op did you use a Keto app or smthg to track?

(In a similar boat, 3 yrs post, up 30)

Sent from my LG-LS993 using BariatricPal mobile app

I personally love sugar free red bull. I don’t like soda and don’t want the sugar although I do drink it now and then. Sugar free red bull is what I use to get through my work days which are long and tiresome.

I think low carb would be very good for you. Dumping is about sugar not fat. I have been so surprised to learn that over 50% of my calories come from fat. I lose a couple lbs a week. I’m 5 months out.

I eat about 30-40g fat a day. I focus on Protein, animal and whey (which I can only stand mixed into plain full fat greek yogurt). I only use plant protein in emergencies by keeping protein Peanut Butter packets in my purse if I am not near any animal protein. I have vegetables including potatoes after I’ve had protein. I eat 1-2 servings of my own granola recipe (2 Oz a serving) made with oats and seeds a day to keep fr9m Constipation. Breakfast is a scrambled egg in butter. During the day I eat the mixture of whey (grass fed, plain no sweetener) in full fat plain greek yogurt, with some groundflax seed and a splash of coconut Water to help mix it. Dinners are meat with some veg. Fatty meat is fine. Fatty fish, mayo, etc. I eat tons of fat and it’s is very satisfying.

No sweet anything - my granola isn’t sweet though it has a bit of maple Syrup. And my dessert is 85-90% dark chocolate. Avoiding sweet tasting things is absolutely key for me. No breads or pastas. First 4 months, no fruit. Now I will allow myself onebite of fruit a day, not every day. I’m good without it. I believe that sugar and eating sweet tast8ng things are our downfall. Once those things are out, the cravings are gone.