Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MCT Oil, Keto..an alternate way to eat Post VGS

I am cleaning out my cabinet and found a fairly new bottle of MCT Oil (I dont want to throw it out...). In the past, I used it mostly for bulletproof coffee but since I am pre-surgery I am weaning off coffee for a while. I plan on saving this (expensive) stuff and want to know how I would use it post-op, several months out once I start eating again. Can I even use it?

I am soaking in all of the information I can pre-op so I will be prepared for this huge lifestyle change- I know I need to learn a whole new way of thinking towards food and the way I eat and this is the time to do it!

Yes, there are lots of posts and books and websites about this but I cannot find anything specifically about eating Keto post surgery with recipes and direction on how to start making the change, what to expect, what to do and not to do. It's a HUGE change and I want to get it right......thank you!!

I used to use MCT oil prior to surgery for energy. Post-op I have so much energy I do not need it.

I have an almost full bottle I purchased after surgery that I have not used once I think.

The first 6 months you should follow your bariatric plan. The stages and foods allowed are a prescription for healing and to lessen complications, after you are healed at 6 months you can do what you want.

I used a Keto calculator to create my macros, and I followed them very closely for a long time.

A lot of the things that people that are not WLS patients do with keto are not necessary for WLS patients. The whole first year I had no physical hunger so I didn't have to do a lot of the popular tricks that people do. Like the whole purpose of bulletproof coffee is to extend your fast in the morning so you even up intermittent fasting, at least how it was originally intended by the Bulletproof guy Dave Aspey (been a fan of his for years). It is easy to fast for extended periods post-op WLS with no hunger. People online really bastardize the whole bulletproof coffee thing.

If you are used to low carbing, life post-op WLS is not really much of a change at all. The only difference is smaller portions and you have to eat more often. A person that is used to being Keto adapted and knows what to expect has the advantage in the WLS world. It made most of it pretty easy for me, I wasn't whining about missing crackers and other crap I didn't eat before anyway.

Bariatriceating is always trying to sell their BS shakes so I am not sure they are the best source.

Their NO NO List is :lol::lol:

I used heavy cream in my coffee when I struggled to keep my calories up.

Unlimited bacon as a no no is only because I don't have the room and can't meet my Protein goals with it.

I only use FULL FAT everything. The rest of it is fake and has additional carbs.

Their ratios on how to eat are not Keto at all, they have carbs almost equal to protein and that is not keto whatsoever. I hate that website so much, ugh.

Anyway...

I set my macros goals by setting my protein goal first. My protein goal has been 120 grams a day, at first post-op it was 90, then I raised it to 120. My protein goal is based on my muscle mass.

Here are my keto goals as they progressed.

2 months Post-Op

35b83497cc444799b17516783424259e.png

4 months Post-Op

d30ed56a89cbeab1827267618944f725.png

This is my current bare minimum calories for the day. I can lose like this but I can lose eating more calories also. This is my baseline to function without being dizzy or tired.

0d575b0eba563d136e7849c2e33b10b9.png

5 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

I used heavy cream in my coffee when I struggled to keep my calories up. I only use FULL FAT everything. The rest of it is fake and has additional carbs.

So I asked my NUT about fat yesterday and she said not to waste the calories on something that has no nutritional value. I was talking about mixing a mashed avocado with tuna instead of using mayo. I dont understand that logic. I understand the Protein thing, I get that, but what about the fat portion. I cannot eat tuna dry and if I dont use mayo why is the avocado just as bad? Do I use greek yogurt instead? Thats fine but I feel like as s a NUT she should have explained that to a newbie...It's comments like that that confuse me. Im trying to swap out the bad fat for the good avocado and I just dont get it....which is sort of what prompted the question about the MCT oil. I know how to eat well, my problem is with Portion Control. That will be taken care of real soon so Im back to what's ok and what's not with a sleeve. Maybe Im just thinking too much- lol, my head is swimming with questions!

I'll be following you, clearly you're doing something right :)

I'll be following too
Fat is awesome and has fantastic benefits for fullness and fat loss and won't spike your insulin
I use mct oil in my coffee and maybe a salad it's too darn expensive to use elsewhere lol so I use coconut oil instead
I also do intermittent fasting of 16:8 and try and eat hflc but stuff up a bit lol
I can't find anyone that does it with a vsg and so I'm very limited with the exact knowledge of doing it correctly.
I eat full fat everything and no added sugars although I still have sugar substitutes [emoji53]
I eat avocado and cheese and all sorts
I hate doing the calorie counting things so worked out my macros and it's too much for me food wise.
Today for lunch was tuna and egg and cheese and I can't get through it
Yesterday was 1/3 avocado tuna and 1 egg and had no problem getting that down. Lol

1 hour ago, MissT_SR said:

I know how to eat well, my problem is with Portion Control. That will be taken care of real soon so Im back to what's ok and what's not with a sleeve. Maybe Im just thinking too much- lol, my head is swimming with questions!

I'll be following you, clearly you're doing something right :)

That is how I felt pre-op. I had a pretty good handle on my food but I still really struggled with Portion Control. I would have an 8 or 12 ounce steak when I was low carbing before surgery. A proper portion for everyone, not just a sleever is 4 ounce. I was over eating all the time and I had a hard time stopping.

You kind of have to decide for yourself what you want to do. Like for example early on the first 6 months. I did not waste calories on chicken salad. I had baked fish with Ghee. I picked foods that followed my bariatric plan in the first 6 months but I used real fat and full fat items, within reason.

Even now most of my fat come from half and half in my coffee and the cooking oil I use for my Protein and the fat in my protein (I like pork chops). I don't have to add a fat like MCT Oil. I feel like MCT oil for a sleever is kind of a hack that isn't necessary. If you really like MCT Oil you can use it, but I wouldn't use it on a healing/new intestinal tract. MCT can be hard on a normal person.

I try not to waste calories on mushy things. I love Avocado but is it fairly high in calories, doesn't trigger restriction and when you eat it with things it makes them moist and turns them soft, and possibly into a slider. Not worth it. I try to avoid sliders and accidentally turning things into a slider. Although there is no real reason not so use mayo instead of avocado but long term, the calories for chicken salad are not worth it. In the short term healing it might be a nice way to help you get protein in because it has more moisture and get your calories up because it is higher in calories but long term, just eating a chicken breast cut into cubes will be more physically satisfying?

Confused? It is confusing. You learn as you go along and you have to do what works for you.

On 10/3/2017 at 1:59 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

I used to use MCT oil prior to surgery for energy. Post-op I have so much energy I do not need it.

I have an almost full bottle I purchased after surgery that I have not used once I think.

The first 6 months you should follow your bariatric plan. The stages and foods allowed are a prescription for healing and to lessen complications, after you are healed at 6 months you can do what you want.

I used a Keto calculator to create my macros, and I followed them very closely for a long time.

A lot of the things that people that are not WLS patients do with keto are not necessary for WLS patients. The whole first year I had no physical hunger so I didn't have to do a lot of the popular tricks that people do. Like the whole purpose of bulletproof coffee is to extend your fast in the morning so you even up intermittent fasting, at least how it was originally intended by the Bulletproof guy Dave Aspey (been a fan of his for years). It is easy to fast for extended periods post-op WLS with no hunger. People online really bastardize the whole bulletproof coffee thing.

If you are used to low carbing, life post-op WLS is not really much of a change at all. The only difference is smaller portions and you have to eat more often. A person that is used to being Keto adapted and knows what to expect has the advantage in the WLS world. It made most of it pretty easy for me, I wasn't whining about missing crackers and other crap I didn't eat before anyway.

Bariatriceating is always trying to sell their BS shakes so I am not sure they are the best source.

Their NO NO List is :lol::lol:

I used heavy cream in my coffee when I struggled to keep my calories up.

Unlimited bacon as a no no is only because I don't have the room and can't meet my Protein goals with it.

I only use FULL FAT everything. The rest of it is fake and has additional carbs.

Their ratios on how to eat are not Keto at all, they have carbs almost equal to Protein and that is not keto whatsoever. I hate that website so much, ugh.

Anyway...

I set my macros goals by setting my protein goal first. My protein goal has been 120 grams a day, at first post-op it was 90, then I raised it to 120. My protein goal is based on my muscle mass.

Here are my keto goals as they progressed.

2 months Post-Op

35b83497cc444799b17516783424259e.png

4 months Post-Op

d30ed56a89cbeab1827267618944f725.png

This is my current bare minimum calories for the day. I can lose like this but I can lose eating more calories also. This is my baseline to function without being dizzy or tired.

0d575b0eba563d136e7849c2e33b10b9.png

Hi @OutsideMatchInside - what app or program are you using to get those fancy smancy pie charts on your intake macros? Thank you in advance ....:)

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

That is the one with the pie charts and projected weight loss

Here are a few others so you can compare.

https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/

Hello! Thank you for talking about Keto diet! B4 my surgery i bought a keto diet cookbook but i only tried some of the smoothie recipes. I am now a 7 wk post op sleever. I still love to have my cup of Decaf coffee with flavored non dairy Creamer. I use International Delight. But in order to get my Protein in first thing i added 1 scoop of Isopure zero carb Protein Powder in my coffee with a Tsp of coconut oil (ie: Rocket Fuel). Im unable to drink it everyday just on the days I dont go to the gym. Thats because the coffee is like a laxative for me!
I like the keto diet idea but measuring Macos or calculating my fats & calories seems so confusing! I think the easiest thing for me to do is just to follow the recipes in the Keto for beginners cookbook & log what I can eat on my FitnessPal App & let it do the macos thing for me! By the way my 1 of my daughters started doing the Keto diet again @ 5 months post op & is doing great with her weight loss! She had the Gastric Sleeve also!
I would like to continue following this topic to learn more about keto dieting after WLS!
Thanks again for opening up this disscusion!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

So I asked my NUT about fat yesterday and she said not to waste the calories on something that has no nutritional value. I was talking about mixing a mashed avocado with tuna instead of using mayo. I dont understand that logic. I understand the Protein thing, I get that, but what about the fat portion. I cannot eat tuna dry and if I dont use mayo why is the avocado just as bad? Do I use greek yogurt instead? Thats fine but I feel like as s a NUT she should have explained that to a newbie...It's comments like that that confuse me. Im trying to swap out the bad fat for the good avocado and I just dont get it....which is sort of what prompted the question about the MCT oil. I know how to eat well, my problem is with Portion Control. That will be taken care of real soon so Im back to what's ok and what's not with a sleeve. Maybe Im just thinking too much- lol, my head is swimming with questions!

I'll be following you, clearly you're doing something right [emoji4]

I wouldn't try tuna with yogurt. Sounds absolutely ghastly! It's been my experience with the NUTS that I've worked with in the hospital, that discussing fats is difficult. They don't tend to be big on any fat, bad or good.

My NUT told me avacados are great!! Its a natural fat

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

I KNOW avocados are good fats so that’s why it’s puzzling she said NO NO! As long as I’m staying within a good solid program, and it actually stays down, I’m going for it...I’ll figure it all out with all the lovely help I’m getting here [emoji847]