Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious complications still affecting me!

So, I had my bypass in Mexico on Sept. 11 and 2 days later had to go back to surgery and they had to completely open me up because of a kinked bowel. I stuck to my liquid diet but I was sick all the time so I could barely get anything down. Nausea, and EXTREME gas, my stomach was vibrating constantly. So my surgeon in Mexico told me I was allergic to whey Protein. I didn't have any problems with it before during my per-op but I quit anyways. Now, I still can't eat, if I do it's a probably an ounce and then I'm sick for hours so the I feel like I'm withering away. I really need to to find a way to get the required amount of protein to keep me going, in small amounts, so it has to have high protein because I can't get very much down. I can't even get my medications down. I feel like I'm starving to death, lol! Anyone else having any problems similar to the this? I'm feeling a little lost.

Have you tried a non-whey Protein? I know there are some vegan ones out there as well as I think there is an egg-based one as well. I'm sorry I don't know the brands, hopefully someone that knows will post.

Have you been to see a doctor since you got back?

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

I am curious too.... who was your surgeon???

My surgeon was Dr. Juan Lopez-Corvalla, but I think it was just one of those " one in a million " kind of things and I drew the shortest straw, lol. So I ended up in the hospital again and found out that my intestines were very inflamed and that my pouch had ulcers. They also found an cyst on my spleen that was probably caused by the trauma of my second surgery. I still have pain in my abdomen but it's getting better, still have to re -bandage everyday. My taste buds have changed so much that EVERYTHING tastes weird to me so I'm doing the 1 oz Protein Shots that have 18g of Protein. I still can't get much food down but for now I'm shooting for 36g of protein per day. As far as Clear Liquids go, I still can't drink fast enough to get what I should be getting. Probably 16 to 20 ounces per day.

Oh gosh :(

Can you start getting IV fluids regularly until you can start drinking enough?

You REALLY need an ounce of Fluid (orally) for every gram of Protein you consume, or its just not going to digest well. (I think I would try pouring the protein shot into a big glass of Water and see how that goes). Since your intestines are inflamed you want to make everything as easy on them as possible.

Nice slow-simmered broth might go down easier.. it's worth a shot.

Hope you start feeling better very soon! [Hugs]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches