Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody on the pre op liver shrinking diet???

I'm thinking it's all doctor preference! I have had 2 different surgeons (band and now bypass) and they both used the diet I posted for 2 weeks. I do know my current surgeon has some of his patients do it longer if they are heavier.

That must be nice. I am on Day 8 of liquids and I can tell you I am sick of it! And then two more weeks of it after surgery. Don't know if I can stomach all of that. Already sick of Protein Shakes for sure. What type of surgery are you having? It seems funny to me that many surgeons don't do much of a pre op diet but some do a full 14 days. Don't see how they could be so far apart?

Im having rny on monday

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

I did the liver shrink diet for two weeks prior to surgery-while I still cooked meals for my family ☹️The last two days before surgery I wasn’t allowed any Protein. By that time, I had no interest in anything! It became a chore to drink. It seems like it’s difficult, but it’s all in our head. Think of it as a means to an end. Just make sure you’ve constantly got something hot or cold to drink. It really helps you prepare for what’s to come.

My surgery is scheduled next week and I am seriously thinking of putting it off for now. I had prepared myself for a long time for the SADI Loop and then to find out I could only have the gastric bypass, I just don't think I am ready for it. I have done fine on the pre op diet and am on day 9 already, so it is not that. I just don't know if I am prepared to go through the after effect of the surgery and the surgery itself. I need to lose 70 lbs, and I know this is the best way but I am just not sure at this time.

Honestly sweetie I think its just fear of change and nerves getting the best of you.. I'm also day 6 or 7 of pre op diet I have been diligent to get everything done for surgery... And I too have thought a few times even crjed maybe I shouldn't do this.. We didnt go through all this hard work and sacrifice for nothing....hold ur head up and don't let fear n doubt stop u from ur goals....WE GOT THIS!!!! Keep going forward we are almost there. Dont give up now.😍😍😍😍😍

Mine is still a month away, and I have flashes of fear sometimes. But I remember when my husband had his surgery last year and he was the same way. After surgery, he really got in his own head with the "what have I done?!" thing. In a few weeks he was adjusted, dropping weight and loving it. It's still an adjustment a year later, to not go back to what he used to do, but it's so worth the health improvements! Only you can decide though.

to ClbsMm2000 - thanks for that list it's helpful, but I have to wonder about things like Poweraid. SO much sugar! what is the benefit to that drink?

to ClbsMm2000 - thanks for that list it's helpful, but I have to wonder about things like Poweraid. SO much sugar! what is the benefit to that drink?

I had to go back and look. It says Powerade Zero. So that has no sugar!

My rny surgery is scheduled for surgery 10/25 and I am supposed to start my liquid diet on 10/4, but I've decided to start it today because I had a few cheat meals last week and figured I couldn't hurt anything. Anyways.... is anyone else on a 3-4 week 800 calorie diet consisting of Protein Shakes, broth, sf Jello and popsicles?? I'm finding it really difficult to feel satiated but I've stayed strong today. I did have some broccoli which I deemed was ok for now since technically I'm not supposed to start until 10/4 anyways.... how are you all keeping your sanity? Any advice? Also- I've noticed throughout the day my weight has fluctuated up 5 pounds which usually doesn't happen and I weigh myself constantly. It's obviously Water weight but I'm hoping it doesn't stick around??

Day 3 for me. Down 6 pounds. I have a headache, but it's doable. I have prepped for months with my Fluid intake, so I don't feel too deprived at the moment. I found a delicious creamy Soup that tastes like comfort food, so I'm good. Campbell's Home Style Harvest Tomato with Basil. Also drinking shakes, Poweraide Zero, broth, water, and sugar-free Popsicles for my treats.

I'm getting nervous reading about everyone else who's getting nervous, but I'm not backing down. Diets have never worked for me after I turned 30, and this is my only route left.

Surgery date: 10/23/17

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

I will be staring my two week liquid diet soon. I've stocked up on sugar fee Popsicle, jello's and puddings as well as broths and Protein shacks. Good luck and remember this is to shrink your liver so the surgery can be preformed with ease. It would suck to go through two weeks and have to do it again because you cheated.

Stay STRONG a new you is around the corner!

You ladies are really ON IT !!! good for you - and sharing your stories really helps the rest of us, so thank you for that :) Tomorrow I have an appointment with my "medical advisor" and will find out more about what I have left to accomplish. I know they'll want me to do a sleep study, but not sure what else. fingers crossed!

Edited by laurileet

Day 6 now.... but I did have a few saltine crackers and a piece of whole grain toast yesterday. I felt like I was going to pass out if I didn’t eat something. 15 days left to go. It’s taking all I have to stay strong but it does get easier as the days go by. I just keep telling myself I cannot eat anymore crackers or toast! As long as I stay strong these last 15 days I think I will be just fine. Just gonna drink broth til it comes out of my ears if that’s what it takes lol!

Wow you all had it rough I am on 2 shakes and one meal and 2 Snacks if needed and only for 1 week before surgery , I was hating life until i saw how long you all have to go with out solid foods. I have been practicing the above for months though, surgery is on 10-17-17 and then its 2 1/2 weeks of liquids. Wish you all the best of luck and keep your focus on the end goal!

I start mine next week - 2 weeks of that. Are you making the shakes with Water or milk?