Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day of... what was it like for you?

Hi all.... I'm trying to get an idea what the 'day of' is like... I know all practices/surgeons/hospitals will be different but I'm interested in hearing how yours was. What time did you go, what time was surgery, what was done before surgery leading up to it etc.

Let me know all about it?

Cheers!

I was 67, 4 years ago. I went to the hospital, about 6 am, had sleeve by 10 am, went to room, slept, walked, had swallow test, and was home in 8 hours. Never looked at my phone, or needed anything. Wore loose clothes there, and wore them home. Took one pain pill when I got home. Drove to the grocery store late the next day. Never felt like I even had surgery. I walked in the mall about four days later. I wish everyone had such an experience.

I had my surgery a year ago. Went in at 5am to the hospital. Surgery started at 7:45am was out by 9am. Up in room by 12:30pm walking immediately going to bathroom no swallow test needed to be done. Dr did it while I was asleep in OR. I never took one pain pill. Went home by 1pm next day. Never had any issues with the liquid diet or any of the other stages I went through.

I will say that do not take what people say to heart after you start loosing weight. As long as you feel good and you blood work is good all that matters. Today I had it hard saying I looked sickly now that I am done 82 pounds.

Best of luck in you journey to a healthier you!!!!!

Had my surgery Friday Sept 15. At 730am i drank a g2 (gatorade zero) in purple (NOT red). Was at hospital at 1130am. Had to give urine sample, change into gowns, fill in a few forms. It was very difficult to give urine sample as i had barely any liquid in me. Got a weigh-in and was down 12lbs from the pre-op diet- that was exciting!! Met with surgeon/anesthesiologist and their assistant and chatted for 10 mins. They commented on my tan lines, haha. Wheeled to OR around 1:45. Got a clip on my ear and another patch behind my ear for naseau. Had some problems finding a vain, but after a few pokes they got one. Got oxygen in my lungs and then the sleep drug kicked in- was out like a light. Luckily no problem waking me up. Was in a general holding area for a few hours- this was around 8pm- im not 100% how long surgery was. I talked to surgeon when I got out but dont remember much. I did ask how my liver looked, but forgot the answer. Went up to the gastrointestinal floor where i shared a room with 3 others- that was NOT fun. Lots of beeps and bells and noises. Begged for Water or ice cubes, my mouth and throat were so so dry. They remained dry all night as nurse restricted my intake. Walked a tiny bit, used restroom, slept more, read on my phone. Pain wasnt too bad, but i about screamed when i saw my bare stomach in a mirror- 4 incisions and tons of bruises. I didnt sleep well as there were so many noises, the other patients in room had some problems so people were always coming in. I also was unsure of what position I could sleep in since everyone has said they slept in a recliner. Ive been sleeping flat on back and that feels good to me. Did more walking the next morning, ate some broth, met briefly with some Drs who looked at my incisions and was discharged around noon.
Dont bring too much to hospital- you wont need it and will be a pain to lug around. Also every few hours in night you will get a temperature and blood pressure test. Came home, napped, showered, used my breathing 'toy' and went to pharmacy. Have felt dizzy/woozy/headachey the last few days but i know i just need more Protein. Good luck to you! Hope it goes smooth!

Surgery 4th July, asked me to come in at 7am, I did so. They come in and ask you questions, gave me an antisickness drug, told me not to drink or eat anything.

I went into a room about 2pm, they asked me further questions. They then came to get me, lying on the bed they talked to me did my blood preasure, before i know it , I was under.

I woke up did not even know it was done.

I was okay but in alot of pain and feeling sick for 3 days. :)

I arrived at 7, surgery around 9 did Paperwork, got bracelets and Id badge for hubby, gave blood. Went into a room where hubby wiped me down with antibacterial wipes and helped me put on a gown and size 3xl socks (knee socks for me). I got a patch behind my ear, an IV, and fluids. Met surgeon, anesthesiologist and had leg compression things put on. Also got a padded sticky thing put in my tailbone to help prevent bed sores.

Right before it was time, they had me get up and pee, because if you can pee right before, no cath.

Got back in bed, the nurse said she would give me 2 meds in my IV. I only remember 1. Supposedly I was still alert and complained of my coochie itching (medication side effect) and they took me.

When I woke up about 11 in recovery, I had no pain. I had every intention of getting up to pee, but they wouldn't let me, so I had my first experience with a bed pan. My mouth was so dry, my shoulder hurt as did my neck. The nurse swab bed me with biotene and brought hubby in.

When it was time for me to go to my room, there was some chaos, as my bed was broken. So they decided to switch me up stairs. Once I got to my room, 3 ladies showed up, got a backboard slider and moved me to my new bed. It was sort of ridiculous because I was capable, and one lady was saying "just lie there honey", and the other knew I was capable. Finally I grabbed the handle and just scooted myself over.

Then my main nurse came in. Did an initial assessment. Temp, BP, checked incisions and pain assessment. I said a 2, but felt like I exaggerated. Then he hooked up new ice fluids, pain pump and said he'd be back later to walk. He insisted on walking with me first few laps, after that he let me go on my own. My main complaints were my neck and shoulder. Turns out I had an injection of some sort in my shoulder, and it was bruised and sore. I just massaged my neck and it felt better after a bit.

I was able to totally get in and out of bed by myself. The air things on my legs were a pain, but I never had to ask for assistance.

Nurses came in a few times overnight. Give meds in IV, check vitals and since I was up, I would walk. Overall, I did over 120 laps in the first 24 hours.

I was released the next day. Day 2 was a blur though, because I had a reaction to something and was very very flushed and hot. Nurse gave me IV benadryl and I was an incoherent mess till right before discharge. But, they did let me walk myself out, with a nurse, of course. Gas pains hit as I was being discharged and I had a moment of panic something was horribly wrong, but nurse assured me it was gas and once I passed it, it would be life changing.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you very much guys, this is very helpful!

Hi all.... I'm trying to get an idea what the 'day of' is like... I know all practices/surgeons/hospitals will be different but I'm interested in hearing how yours was. What time did you go, what time was surgery, what was done before surgery leading up to it etc.
Let me know all about it?
Cheers!

Mine was 6-13-17 early in the morning 6am. Checked in, got to the pre op room, had to wipe down with these disinfectant wipes and put on a gown. Got an IV and my team came in one by one to say hi. Nurse, surgeon, PA etc. signed some paper work and then they wheeled my bed into surgery. I only remember my bed getting on the elevator whatever they gave me for nerves wiped my memory after that.

I can’t remember anything other than waking up. Not in a ton of pain or anything just tired. I had some hot flashes and made them bring me a fan in my room cuz I was sweating. Not sure why! I was just so damn hot! Lol by probably 2pm I was awake enough and my husband helped me stand up, I peed and then walked the halls a bit to try and help with the gas pains.

I had a few ice chips that first day for my dry mouth and hotness. Sitting up for me was a PAIN I needed help getting upwards cus my abs were so sore. Every time they gave me my pain meds, like every 6 hours- I would fall asleep in like 5 mins (dilaudid is an amazing drug) I also took anti nausea meds and blood thinner shots while in the hospital. I also had to wear these Super annoying blow up leg things for blood flow that I hated!

I ended up staying an extra day because when it was time to try and eat I couldn’t do it- like the smell and drinking enough Water just couldn’t happen so I stayed so I could be on IV one more day.