Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am crushed--will I ever be able to exercise?

For about 5 years I haven't been able to do meaningful (sustained aerobic) exercise because of the collaboration of the evil twin demons of severe arthritis of the knees and weak legs (due to a back problem).

My plan has been to lose enough weight so that could successfully undergo knee replacement surgeries. I was sure that I could at least walk a few miles at a time with new knees.

I've been concerned about losing weight without significant exercise because I know that I'm losing a lot of lean muscle tissue in addition to the fat. I have really been eager to feel better physically as a benefit of exercise.

Last week I had my annual neurological eval (because of the back problem--EMG, MRI etc). It showed that my legs have become significantly weaker over the year and as a result, I cannot (ever) have knee replacement surgery because I couldn't do the necessary rehab with the leg weakness. I'm screwed. :cry

Anyone else have difficulty exercising?

My neighbor had really bad knees and could barely walk. What he did was ride a bike (it was the lounged back ones) and swim. He said it was better on his knees.

Serena,

I am in the same boat. I have knee surgery in March, which has really not helped much. Now the other knee is hurting and I have a herniated disc in my neck.

Good grief!

We are both screwed in the exercise Dept. The only answer I have right now is to try extra harder to lose more weight, and maybe it will become less painful for us to exercise with another 25/30 lb. weight loss?

If you want to buddy up, PM me.

I can use all the help I can get.

I am upping my Protein shakes right now and really keepin up with the fills.

When did you have your surgery?

We seen at the same level weight wise also.

I have my surgery in April.

I agree with the others find exercises you CAN do with bad knees. Water aerobics? I think the more weight you lose the more likely you would be able to build up your muscles.

Can you go to a physical therapist now and work on things you can do to strengthen those muscles?

sWIMMING AND Water AREOBICS. Those are the best excercises in the world for bad joints. I know around here we have a physical theripy facility that has a heated pool for Water arobics. My arthritis doctor just had to sign a paper for me to go. then I paid like 32 dollars for 16 weeks of areobics. It was so much fun and a hard work out. but people in wheel chairs were in the class. my dad took the class after hip surgery to help with his movement and strength training.

Look for a place in your area or ask your doctor. not only will it help you lose weight but you may build muscle in your legs so you can get the surgery.

my mom had knee surgery in july and is not doing well at all. She is being banded on friday and I know her inability to exercise is on her mind. She is afraid it will stall her weightloss success. I know she is planning on swimming once her wounds have healed. Hopefully this will give her the cardio and physical therapy she needs to make her knee better (ps. she had a torn miniscus and a baker cyst).

Thanks for the support. I've had physical therapy several times but it doesn't help much because it is a neuro-muscular problem. I do handweights and stretch cords but what is missing is aerobic/cardio exercise.

Water exercise is a great idea but the idea of being in a bathing suit in front of others is horrifying. That brings to mind Terri Doodle's signature line: "how bad do you want it?" Apparently, not quite enough........

My mother lost her legs almost 2 years ago. At first she was so embarased to wear shorts with her prostetics that she would just sweat to death and get heat rashes (prostetics are very hot and confining) Now she has no problem not only wearing shorts but she will remove her legs in public if they start to ache.

Just remember EVERYONE in a Water arobics class except the instructor is probably embarased to be in a swim suit. I say find a pretty one and get moving!

Heck I am 370 and I was at the Water park all summer. Screw the idiots that cant get past my size. everyone has something about themselfs they dont like. If your going to make someone elses opinion about you matter then your own health that is just wrong.

I care enough about you! Get yourself to a pool and get moving.

;)

Aquarobics, Water running, resistance swimming... something in the Water will be your best bet, because that's one of the only options where impact and pressure on the legs and lower joints is reduced rather than increased.

I understand totally that being in a bathing suit isn't something to cheer about. However, there are VERY modest options out there. For example, Junonia (www.junonia.com) carries swim shorts & shirts:

231043_PACIF_Main_100x115.jpg537018_REEF_Main_100x115.jpg

Aquarobics, Water running, resistance swimming... something in the Water will be your best bet, because that's one of the only options where impact and pressure on the legs and lower joints is reduced rather than increased.

I understand totally that being in a bathing suit isn't something to cheer about. However, there are VERY modest options out there. For example, Junonia (www.junonia.com) carries swim shorts & shirts:

231043_PACIF_Main_100x115.jpg537018_REEF_Main_100x115.jpg

I totally agree. Good luck, keep us posted.

Thanks to all! Cerrin, thanks for the kick in the butt! Were you saying that having a referral from your doctor is what made the classes so inexpensive?

Wheetsin, thanks for the tip about Junonia.

I'm calling today!

I had a catastrophic knee injury in 2005 (doing a lunge, the irony huh?)

My next option for my knee, is knee replacement or cartalage transplant. I am hoping that the band will help me, so I can get where I need to be.

Workouts that worked the best for me were:

~Water anything

~biking

~elliptical (my knee would go out in the beginning, but as I got stronger, it got better)

Good luck to you, I know how awful this is. It literally changes your life!

A doctor had to sign a paper before I could even take the class. no matter the price. The place where it was held is a facility for physical training. the pool was heated it was really nice and it was a bonus that it was not expensive. You should ask your knee doctor about something like it I am sure most hospitals have something like it. I HIGHLY recomend it.

My first recommendation is - Get a second opinion... and then a third. Don't let one doctor tell you something without seeking other evaluations. My point of that is this - some may know about newer, advancements than others and the one doc you see now may not know about it.

Seek a second opinion. In the meanwhile - God Bless!!!

Amy