Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I had the lap band back in 2009 and in 3 years I lost 103lbs. At that time I started trying to have a baby and that proved to be very difficult. After many miscarriages I finally had a baby 4 years later (after 2 round of IVF. During my struggles with infertility things seemed off with my band though I was preoccupied with trying to conceive and I didn't really care too much. Due to an ectopic pregnancy I had emergency surgery to have a fallopian tube removed and even that surgeon said that she took at look at my band and it "didn't look right" to her. Now that my baby is a year old I've been thinking about going back to my baratric surgeon. As of right now I've gained half of my weight loss back. I also just got a letter from my surgeon's office stating that greater than 50% of band patients are having revisions due to ineffectiveness of the band, food intolerance, band slipping, and heartburn/erosion. I'm pretty sure I have all of those things.

I'm a little nervous about a new surgery but I can't live the way I have been living anymore.

So sorry that is happening to you. I had a baby and mine started to go bad afterward too. To the point if er surgery after throwing up liquids for a month. I lost 140 with the band I had about 10 years. I'm almost done with pre op for the sleeve. I am so sorry for your losses as well. I suggest going to your doctor because it usually just gets worse. I waited to long to fix it , just had to come out. Just my opinion. :)

I also had the band in 2009 and initially lost 80 lbs. I then had issues with food tolerance and band erosion therefore had the band removed in 2015. I know had gained weight back to where I was before the band. I met with my surgeon about revision and have a nutrition appt tomorrow but I am nervous to do a permanent surgery just like you.

Thanks for the responses! So I made a consultation appt. for this Friday 9/15! I am excited and nervous to hear what they say. I'm about 50lbs heavier than I was the last time I was there so I feel a little embarrassed about that. =/

I had the band placed in 2008 and didn't lose more than 15 pounds. I had tons of problems and ended up having it removed in 2013. Then I gained 40 pounds.

Last year I started researching the sleeve. I had my surgery a few days ago, and I'm feeling great! I will always have to be vigilant about junk food, but I am miserable being overweight and I needed this help.

Do your research and talk to people who have had it. You'll figure out whether it's the right thing for you.

So I had my consult yesterday! I know most of the nurse practitioners in the office so it was really nice seeing them and catching up as it's been a few years since I've been there for my band. I weighed in at 202lbs (I wore the heaviest clothes I own) and that only puts my BMI at 33.66 so right now the concern is that I don't weigh enough. They are confident that insurance will pay to have the lap-band removed but not confident that they'll pay for sleeve revision. So.......when I see the surgeon on 10/3 I somehow need to be 11lbs heavier. I'm going to have to figure that one out. :unsure: If my BMI is 35 I need a comorbitity. The only one I used to have is sleep apnea. When I went through all these pre-op things with the band I had a sleep study and found out I had it. So, I'm going to be having an at home sleep study and hopefully I still have it. That feels so weird to hope I have it. Insurance is so twisted.

Anyway so next Friday 9/22 I have to go for a barium swallow and lab work. Then, on 10/3 I'm going to meet with the surgeon. I'm waiting for the sleep lab to call me but I am hoping I can get the sleep study done before I meet with the surgeon. If all goes well and the surgeon thinks I could be a candidate for sleeve I'll have to have an upper endoscopy too to check for erosion and scar tissue. It's possible that I may only be a candidate for bypass due to erosion so we will see. That isn't really what I want but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

There will be other with nurse practitioners and nutritionist if all goes well but for right now I need to have the barium swallow and meet with the surgeon and go from there! Oh, and I also had them remove some Fluid from my band and my heartburn has subsided. Hallelujah!

I was also banded in 2009, in Mexico, and I lost about 80 pounds. I've since gained it all back. Last year I started the process to have a revision to sleeve. I took all the required nutrition classes and I had an Upper GI to check my band. It all looked fine but obviously needs to come out. I am scheduled for surgery on 10/2 to remove the band and have the sleeve done. I'm scared, nervous and excited. This is going to be so much different than the first time. We will have success this time around. I have to keep telling myself that.

On 9/17/2017 at 9:13 PM, newlifebegins2017 said:

I was also banded in 2009, in Mexico, and I lost about 80 pounds. I've since gained it all back. Last year I started the process to have a revision to sleeve. I took all the required nutrition classes and I had an Upper GI to check my band. It all looked fine but obviously needs to come out. I am scheduled for surgery on 10/2 to remove the band and have the sleeve done. I'm scared, nervous and excited. This is going to be so much different than the first time. We will have success this time around. I have to keep telling myself that.

Good luck with your surgery! My consult with the surgeon is on 10/3!

Hello I'm a revision from band to sleeve- had band place 2008 lost 100 pounds experienced esophageal dilation had to have Fluid taking out gained allll 100 back getting sleeved on Monday sept 25 had my last preop class today I'm feeling a lot of feelings mostly wanting to get on the other side to healing

I'm in a very similar boat. Had the bad placed in 2009, lost 100lbs, removed end of 2016 due to car accident. Just now finishing up all the hoops that my insurance requires. I will find out in the next 2 weeks if my surgery is approved to be scheduled. I will also be getting the sleeve. I look forward to reading about your progress. Good luck!

Thanks so very much Monday is coming fast I'm looking forward to the after math of all the surgery I will also be praying for you 2 weeks and you will know!!!!

Hello I'm a revision from band to sleeve- had band place 2008 lost 100 pounds[emoji16] experienced esophageal dilation had to have Fluid taking out gained allll 100 back getting sleeved on Monday sept 25 had my last preop class today I'm feeling a lot of feelings mostly wanting to get on the other side to healing[emoji1431]

Oh wow they were so fast in getting you scheduled after your last appointment, that's awesome! I was a little discouraged thinking it would be a month or more after my last consult. I will pray that you have a safe and successful surgery, easy healing and many wonderful milestones to follow [emoji177]

I was banded in 2009, lost about 80 pounds total, then started to have major issues and had to have surgery to repair it in 2012. It hasn't worked since then and I've gained over 50 pounds back since then. My new doctor does not do the revision in one go so he removed my band in Feb 2017 and I'll get my sleeve surgery on Nov. 1. I'm thrilled that after going through all the hoops my insurance finally approved it.