Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain not going away

Hey everyone,

I was sleeved Aug 30/17 and have had nothing but a rough go since. My pain in hospital was not well managed and I also had a large hiatus hernia repair as well as a bunch of adhesions removed. All of my bowels were adhered together and to my abdominal wall as well as my liver flipped upwards and adhered to the abdominal wall. So, needless to say there was a lot of work done. However, I now am post op day 6 have an awful sharp to dull ache under my left breast all the time and I don't know what to do about it. My MD thought it was just air trapped but its not, Ive been up walking and taking gasx to help with whatever I can. The pain seems to increase when I swallow anything and when I walk around. I find myself starting regret the surgery and want the pain to cease, I have been losing weight, currently 214lbs. Does anyone have similar pain? Does it go away? I take 1 percocet every 4 hours and then I also have medical marijuana to help as well. The only time I am pain free is if I'm very stoned...which is not something I want to be.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Hey there, I'm so sorry to hear about all your pain.

11 months ago I had the vertical gastric sleeve, gallbladder removal, and hiatal hernia repair. I was in pain for solid three weeks that pain you're talking about I had as well. My liver intestines and other organs were also adhered to my gallbladder in the tissue around. I had quite an extensive surgery as well. I wasn't able to get in and out of bed on my own for two weeks. My recovery was much longer than most that post here. It took me a full 12 weeks to get back to feeling remotely "normal".

The hiatal hernia repair also somehow managed to make my stomach and esophagus feel like an alien was inside of it, every time I swallowed it just felt weird like something weird was going on. But that slowly went away. The pain under my left rib is still there every now and then, I believe that's from the hiatal hernia repair. Which is right at our diaphragm.

I've lost over hundred pounds since the surgery, I struggled quite a bit the first few weeks, I went through an entire week of sobbing and regret, I came out the other side determined to make the best of the choices I made (and that includes becoming obese over 20 years, I keep having to remember that I did this to myself and that I am now trying to fix all my bad choices, and that's not easy).

I suffered a lot of pain, walking was a chore, sitting and standing was a chore, I walked around with my hand on my abdomen for about six months.

That's all the bad stuff, let me tell you all the good stuff!!

I can now run, for 30 minutes straight. Without being out of breath.

I can now do an hour of yoga every single day without being sore.

I'm now wearing a size 10 pants and being hit on by men at least 10 years and me.

The muscles in my arms stand out like I'm some American ninja warrior badass.

I can fly without fear of sitting in the seat and being kicked off or deal with the embarrassment of the seatbelt extender not fitting or any of those things.

I go clothes shopping at the mall. The MALL. I can find regular clothes in a regular store.

I'm saving hundreds of dollars a month on groceries. Hundreds.

I'm saying yes to invites to go out, to go away for weekends, and to generally be more active in my social life and social circles because I'm no longer ashamed of what I look like and I'm no longer physically incapable of doing the activities.

I write on roller coasters. Because I fit in them and their amazing fun.

I traveled back to see my family for the first time in years, reconnected with friends and loved ones that I hadn't for a long time because of my avoidance of travel and shame over my appearance.

Joy, energy, time, friends, everything, everything is better. No, I can no longer have my chicken strips, but I can fit in the seat. No, I can no longer eat a burger because beef doesn't sit well with me, but I can literally run the 3 miles to the grocery store that has a salad bar.

This is the opposite of "the easy way out". This is a physical, emotional, and mental battle. What we've done, I see this all the time, is one of the scariest things you can do regardless of what people think. The recovery is hard, the work and struggle is hard, we are such warrior bad asses for doing this despite our fears and the troubles. You are amazing.

It's okay to have a feeling of regret or fear, I went through it myself. What I encourage you to do is allow yourself to feel what you're feeling, and then allow yourself to come out the other end seeing that a new life is possible for you. For all of us. You are so amazing for having done what you did, you have so much strength inside you. I know this pain is hard, and it's scary. Be sure to keep in contact with your surgeon but know that is most likely something that will heal and you will move past and through.

Good luck to you, and sending you a huge hug.

Please excuse the typos, I've broken my hand in a fall and have to use speak to text. Sometimes I mean to say thank you what is typed out is Thanksgiving. LOL

I had the sleeve and hiatal hernia repair...I didn't start feeling normal and back to myself til week 3-4. The first two weeks recovery wise/pain wise were rough. I cried with regret a few times but it gets better as cliche as that sounds! I'm almost 2 months post op and 32 lbs down.

@littlelizzylilliput-you made my day!!! I can so relate bc, event though I have just started my journey, sleeved 8/7, I am already feeling better about myself and cannot wait to reconnect with old friends! I literally fell off the face of the earth socially bc I was so ashamed of how large I had gotten. Reading your post warmed my heart! [emoji173]️

5'7 Sleeved 8/7 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 235 At 2 week post op GW: 150

Thank you for all of your comments. I recently went to my massage therapist who did some myofascial release right on my ribs and intercostals. It hurt like crazy but I no longer have any pain on the left side now. However, that being said I still struggle with wanting the food and such but I am getting through it.

Although I now have severe pain by one of the incision sites on the right side by my old hernia mesh. Im wondering if the Dr might have done something to it in this surgery. Really hoping it passes, but it is a severe stabbing pain that doesn't cease.

Down 25lbs now, and am slowly getting better. Thanks again for all the kind words!!! :)