Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I may be laid off before my surgery date...

I had a major shock this morning as my boss was laid off out of the blue. They are having a meeting with me and the other department secretary later this afternoon. They said there is nothing new planned for us, so we shouldn't worry. I am still concerned, and terrified that I will be laid off right before my surgery. I was submitted to my insurer last week for approval. Has anyone lost their jobs prior to surgery? From what I've read, it's my understanding that if I do lose my job that I can enroll in COBRA to keep my benefits through my current insurance plan, and that should cover my surgery. If anyone who knows anything about this, if you would please respond it would keep me from having a continued panic attack until this afternoon's meeting. Thanks.

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. I've been through something similar when my boss was unexpectedly laid off. It's a scary and stressful time. But rest assured that you will still be able to keep your health insurance! Under federal law, you must be given the opportunity to enroll in COBRA. It probably won't be cheap, but you can still have surgery and continue your coverage. It shouldn't have any impact on your surgery at all.

Another thought is that the HR dept must be very careful about what they say (or what is communicated to you) in these situations. In my experience, they won't lie to you and say there won't be any changes if it isn't true. Instead, you'd most likely have less information than you already do if there were more cuts coming your way. Still, I understand the uncertainty of the whole situation, but seriously doubt they'd tell you that and then turn around and do something else in your meeting.

Hang in there. Sending positive energy your way!! [emoji5]

HW 280
CW 263
SW 274
DOS 8/24/17

Thank you so much for your reply. I've worked so hard for the last nine months to get here that I don't know what I would do if it all went up in smoke. From what I had read about COBRA, it looked like that was the case, but it's nice to have someone else confirm it who has been through a similar situation. I was fired without cause from a seven years ago, so nothing anyone does in the workplace surprises me anymore. I sent an email and asked, for clarification, whether or not our jobs will not be affected. Of course I haven't heard anything back, so that's been great. They may have repair an ulcer in addition to doing my bypass at this rate, I'm so stressed out. Thanks for the positive vibes, I really appreciate it!

Also, as my mother delicately put it to me when I found out major changes are happening in my company. Losing the weight will help with your job search. So, don't panic and don't use what's happening as a reason to put it off.

OMG, that sounds like something my mother would have said! Hugs to you during this time! You WILL survive.

Thanks everyone. I had a meeting this afternoon and it seems my job is safe for now, so that's a relief. I appreciate your support, which is why I like having these forums. They have already been a huge help with my pre-op stresses!

31 minutes ago, Shan W said:

Also, as my mother delicately put it to me when I found out major changes are happening in my company. Losing the weight will help with your job search. So, don't panic and don't use what's happening as a reason to put it off.

Oh, trust me, there's nothing that would put me off the surgery except being unable to afford it if something happened with my insurance. It sounds like COBRA would cover it even if I did lose my job, but that doesn't appear to be happening anyway.

11 minutes ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

OMG, that sounds like something my mother would have said! Hugs to you during this time! You WILL survive.

It looks like you are a week out from your surgery! How are you feeling?

1 minute ago, LINZ62383 said:

It looks like you are a week out from your surgery! How are you feeling?

I feel fine--had virtually no pain at all other than when I woke up right after the surgery. And I've had no trouble at all with any of the stuff I've been drinking (shakes, Water, Crystal Light). I am just sooooo sick of Protein shakes!! Cannot wait until food is involved again, no matter how small the portion. I've had some yogurt today . . .