Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just introducing myself - surgery 1/24

Hi

I am Lauren and I am having the lapband with Dr. Bertha on January 24th. I had the pre-op class today and was reassured as well as scared with my decision. It is weird, I am not sure how to feel at this point. I am excited to get going with this but at the same time it does not feel real. How will I deal with this drastic change in my diet and the fact that I cannot cheat! How will I feel after?

I have a 14month old son and he is my motivation for this decision. I want to be the best mom I can for him.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Lauren

326/326/healthy

Lauren,

As someone who is hoping to be banded soon, I have felt the same way. After I completed and passed my phych evaluation, it occured to me that my day was approaching. YIKES. I think that if you have the means and the time I would suggest speaking with a councelor to address some of your concerns. That way you can be most relaxed for your Amazing journey.

Good Luck and keep us posted. Dont forget to take some before pics.

Hi, Lauren, and welcome. Yes, it can feel a little unreal, especially when you don't know all the ways your life will change. But one thing you said needs correcting. Many of us no longer believe in dieting. We follow a few simple rules to make sure we are getting good nutrition and let our bands tell us when to stop eating. So the concept of "cheating" may not fit exactly. But certainly you can eat many things with the band that will stop or impede your weight loss. chips, candy, ice cream - they go right through the band and you can eat almost as much as you could before. That's why we say the band is only a tool. It will help you with your weight loss, but you will still need to be mindful of what you eat if you want to be completely successful. It's very important that you understand this before getting banded. Otherwise, you may end up feeling disappointed.

Nancy

Congrats with being Banded on the 24th... You will feel GREAT!!! okay, i havent had the band yet but I just know its the best thing... Good luck with everything

I walked around feeling numb for a month before surgery. I think it was my mind's way of kind of shutting down and quieting my fears. After surgery, the numbness went away. It has all been very real since then. It becomes a very natural state. Connecting with others who share this experience helps ground me. :)

Welcome! All the feeling you are going through are natural ones. Keep busy, read all you can about WLS, practice drinking slowly and not with meals. The time will pass by so fast it will be here before you know it. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey to bandland.

Welcome LaurenThat child should be all you need to say to figure out how you will handle it. With modivation like that you will just do it when your new tool is installed.

My modivation was due to feeling I'd not be around to see my grandchildren when they arrive. I got banded and have pretty much destroyed all my bad eating habits. And I truely believe God has Blessed me for this decision as my first grandchild is going to be born on/or near July 25th.

Nancy was right when she said we no longer diet. What I am doing is eating properly for a male who weights 190/200 pounds. And because my band restricts me from over eating I just listen to it when it tells me no more and I lose weight. Making the right choices is hard but I think everyone will tell you that when you see weight start to come off you get with the program a little more each time. We're all human and have our slips(no Becky I'm not offering to wear a slip). But I find when I do make a bad choice I am more willing to stop and get back on track then I ever was before. No more feeling like a failure in my diet because I'm not on a diet and normal weight people eat things that really aren't healthy once in awhile. So I just get over it and put it behind.

Good Luck and God Bless

Congratulations on your band date. I'm with Greg, no more dieting, although there's still plenty of work ahead. Be kind to your band, it will soon be your new best friend.

I just threw out enough diet pills to start a diet pill site. Gee I could have made a fortune on ebay. All those diet pills and miracle diet commercials, junk!

Hi. I am being banded on the 12th of this month. I feel the same way you do. I have a four year old son and a 6 month old daughter. I have a very active life, but want more. All my friends are wonderful and thin! I just want that for the 100th time in my life. I think it is finally going to happen . I am having a hard time thinking about the food I am going to miss. We do a lot of things that involve food! I am right there with you. Dr. Spivak is my doctor!

Hi, Connorsmom, looks like you were banded on January 24. How are you doing? Love to hear an update!

Tracie, Congratulations on your upcoming banding! It's not all about getting thin. You'll be amazed at how good you feel, your increased energy, less depression, and being released from that grip food has on you. There's a whole non-food related world out there just waiting for you! Best of luck to you!

Welcome Lauren and congratulations! I recall feeling many of the same fears pre-op... I even did the "last meal" pigout! Honestly... I can eat almost everything I ate before ... just smaller quantities. I actually enjoy the food I eat now more than I did before as I have to slow down and chew it well! I do try and avoid some of the things I used to treat myself to... such as ice cream... candy... etc but I find it is easier to say no to those things now? This will be a tool to help you and the hardest time will be the post-op healing period... I am betting you will love your band as much as most bandsters do!

Darcy

Psssssssssssssst...Marie its not the 24 of Jan yet.

Connorsmom see how excited Marie is for you to get banded..She has you done already and recouperating LOL Thats the way the people here are. Just so concerned for everyone.

I love ya all

Yipes, Greg, I'll have to do a mental calendar change and get in the right year! 2005 2005 Does the lapband further enhance senility?

I'm sorry, ConnorsMom! Best of luck to you!!!

Hi Lauren, I am new to the site too, I am going to be banded about the same that you are. My kids are alittle older but the same things apply for me. I want to be able to do things with them. I know I avoid things now. My biggest thing right now is that I do not want anyone at work or socially to know that I have had this procedure. I have told a few friends and my family (well part of them) Good Luck and let me know how you are doing.