Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok y'all..

Surgery on April 17th.. iv lost 57lbs so far.. I have read that Hair loss is part of this but wanted to see if there's anything else I can do to stop it.. any ideas?

I'm getting 80+ g Protein, 64+ Water, my patch (labs checked all good but vit d and I'm taking extra now), 10,000 Biotin day..also bought a hair Vitamin and been on for week lol

Thanks

Jennifer

Honestly? After talking to dozens and dozens of post-op bariatric surgery patients, it depends more on your genetics and your luck than anything. And I hate to say that. It's kind of like the loose skin issue. I wish I had a magical trick for the huge number of people that have asked me about my lack of Hair loss and loose skin, but really - I got my Protein in, I drank my Water, I used bath and body works lotion a few times a week.

170 lbs lost, never lost any hair, barely any loose skin. I have no idea how, or why - neither does anyone else :( take your Biotin, get your protein, drink your water - you could try to find some biotin shampoo! But honestly, I don't know if it makes that much difference. It seems that some people just lose the hair, and some don't. Good news? It will grow back! :)

Hi! I was sleeved on April 19th! Congrats on your 57lb loss! I am only at 44 so that's great! As far as the Hair loss have you started losing hair? I too do the 10,000 mcg of Biotin and knock on wood haven't lost any as of yet. I have heard that the slower u lose the weight the better of a shot you have to not lose much. My hair is thin to begin with so I was really worried. Hoping things stay the same where this is concerned!

I agree that it really depends on genetics and luck. There really isn't any cure but you can try all that Biotin stuff. I never took biotin and am down 294 pounds since surgery last year and did not lose any hair post bariatric surgery but lost hair post plastic surgery! Any surgery can cause Hair loss. It's the anesthesia that causes hair loss.

The best thing to do is promote fast regrowth. That come from exceeding your Protein goals, keeping your Vitamin levels correct, and good health in general.

Years ago, when I wanted to increase my Hair growth I would always added extra protein to my diet and that would make my hair grow like wildfire

I always take a separate folic acid Vitamin along with my multi, I am preop -so who knows if this surgery will cause Hair loss for me - I didn't lose any with knee replacement surgery 7 years ago???

But I am old...lol 62 and my hair, although fine and thin, grows in length fast if I take that extra folic (like prenatal Vitamins has extra folic). But genetics are probably a factor, too - as I only have about a dozen grey hairs as well. Anyone's guess for each of us. Hoping like heck it doesn't happen.