Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideas on what to tell work

I don't want to share what I'm doing when I schedule surgery in feb or March. I am saving my vacation days to take two weeks off and work remotely the third week.

What is a good cover story of why I'm out? My coworkers are nice and my boss is very understanding - I just don't plan to be as open as I was with my lap band.

I don't want to share what I'm doing when I schedule surgery in feb or March. I am saving my vacation days to take two weeks off and work remotely the third week.
What is a good cover story of why I'm out? My coworkers are nice and my boss is very understanding - I just don't plan to be as open as I was with my lap band.

My go to explanation is that I had surgery for some digestive issues. Only one person has probed further and I told them it wasn't my fav thing to talk about because it's kinda personal. I think people just assume I had some bowel issue. I debated not telling anyone anything but that didn't seem realistic. Now, post op, ppl understand why I'm eating weird or less and I don't feel like I have to hide my fatigue, and I've been given the space and understanding to recover without having to "hide."

I ended up having a massive hiatal hernia that he fixed while in there so I tell people I had hernia surgery. I'm really close with a group of ladies I've been taking Pilates with for a couple years, and I'll be out for about 6 weeks bc of my "hernia surgery." They keep asking where I am and if I'm ok so I told our instructor and she passed the info on.

5'7 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 235 At 2 week post op GW: 150
Fantasy GW: 135 Sleeved 8/7

Say Hernia. My husband and I both had hernias. My husband and I were sleeved and told no one not even his 30 yo son. We lost weight slowly, ate healthy, ate less, and were watching what we ate. Four days after the sleeve I drove to and walked the mall. I was in the hospital 8 hours and needed no pain meds at home. So no one had any idea. Now we have people gushing on and on about the weight loss, and God forbid I had to listen to them tell everyone about our sleeve. My husband has taught me you don't owe anyone an explanation and it sure uncomplicated our life.

I said I'm having surgery. Its no ones business what surgery. If they ask 'its personal' I wouldn't lie and say another surgery.

Sent from my Swift 2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the same conversation with my doctor about what to tell people. I was doing so well last year on my own but then I regained so much of what I lost. I feel like I'm cheating having surgery to help me so I'm sort of embarrassed to admit to people what I will be doing. My doctors advice was pretty simple; it isn't anyone's business and I don't "owe" an explanation to anyone. This is for me and the benefits I hope to gain are for myself and family. Not open to public opinion or discussion.

I have not told anyone at my job.. i started eating the way I am now 3 months before surgery, just to get used to it so it didn't really feel like a change after. I only had a week vacation so it was surgery on Monday, home tuesday walk/drink rest of the week. Drive to my follow up on Thursday and went back to work Monday. I was fortunate enough to have NO complications and Did not need any pain meds ( not even tylenol in the hospital. )

I used one week of sick and 2 weeks of vacation. This kept me from sharing if I didn't want to.

Sleeved 8/10/17 HT: 5'2
HW: 214 SW: 212 CW: 196 Goal: 155

I didn't tell work either. I was in hospital 24 hours, took no pain meds. Went back to work day 6. I work from home so it was fine but I wish I had taken two weeks just because I was so tired. Sailed through after that. I told a couple of friends and I regret telling two of them. One tells everyone she sees and we know a lot of the same people. It's highly irritating.

I just said I was having a medical procedure done and that it wasn't something anyone needed to worry about. Fortunately, no one probed, at least not yet. Surgery was tuesday and I am going back to work on Monday. Hopefully no one asks! If they do, I'll just go with the "I don't want to talk about it" line.