Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling a bit out of control

Hi there, I just found this forum online... I feel like I am needing some support... I had the bypass 3.5 years ago - lost 114 pounds - but was still overweight - I got down to 241. I was never happy that I didn't become 'thin' but was so happy about how free and awesome my body felt. I feel like you biggest challenge was body dis morphia... I looked in my mirror and still looked the same to myself. I saw a flight of stairs and still thought I couldn't do it... so slowly, the weight started to creep back. I gained 30 pounds back. I still felt good, but it scared me! One day, I found out that I was pregnant. This made me very happy! That's all I have ever wanted! In my pregnancy I gained another 30 pounds... I was proud of myself (even though the doctors said i should only gain 11), but i felt healthy and had an amazing pregnancy! I had a very healthy baby girl 6 months ago. She's strong and determined and amazing! The best thing that has every happened to me! I have a good husband, loving family and friends and a good job to go back to after my maternity leave! We also bought a great new house this year! I have a great life! BUT... for some reason, my eating has gotten out of control again and my weight is going up and up and up and my mobility is going down and down and down! I feel sick about it!!! I am 5 pounds heavier than I was when I delivered 6 months ago! It started with being tired and eating whatever I craved shortly after my c-section while I was healing and it spiralled into full on food addiction again. I have been doing so much better for about a month, but, despite that, my weight keeps climbing! Today I was just 42 pounds away from my highest weight!!!!! I'm going in the wrong direction and im scared and sore! My knees and back can't handle this regain! Anyone going through the same thing?

I haven't had my sleeve surgery yet but that is my biggest fear. Doing all of this and then gaining it back. ((Hugs) Hang in there. My only advice is start slowly with cutting down on foods and eating more Proteins and less carbs

Edited by sarajane80

I also have not had the sleeve, YET. I am in research mode. What I have learned is after you have the sleeve if weight loss slows down or you start to gain you can go back k for the second part of procedure which can take place a year after the sleeve . That is the bypass part of the weight loss surgery. This also is covered by most insurance. That part of the surgery is what cuts down on the calories that reap havock on our weight.

Research again you may be surprised. Yes, I also agree go low carb and high Protein. You may want to fast to shrink your stomach again .

Keep the Faith

I'm just 3 mos post op. But I'd say start with your food choices, get back to basics of Protein first then veggies. No drinking with meals. Congrats on your baby. Maybe take some nice walks with the baby in the stroller. They make jogging strollers that may make it easier to keep a good pace that with regular strollers. It's a life long struggle. It'll take time. Hang in there but you'll have to just set your mind to it and go for it. Good luck.

There are two phases to weight loss surgery - the Weight Loss Phase and the Maintenance phase. Because you had surgery around 3 1/2 years ago you are most likely in the Maintenance phase. This is the approach I used in the Maintenance phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf It is common to have some limited weight gain after gastric bypass surgery. They call it a 20 pound bounce. The important thing is not let go beyond it. According to my nutritionist, meals should consist of equal parts of Protein, fats and carbs after the first couple years post-op. Snacks should be limited to primarily whole food options: nuts, natural nut butters, fruits, veggies, boiled eggs, string cheese, yogurt with berries and almonds, tuna pouches. Avoid processed packaged foods as much as possible.
Also do not expect to lose weight at a rate similar to right after surgery. Generally if you gained the additional weight over a couple years, then it may take a couple years of watching what you eat to get back down.

I am sorry for the situation that you are in. That is my biggest fear, other than staple line leaks of course. I think the best way to help would be to go back to basics. Small portions...Protein first...Veggies and small amounts of fruit...Some other carbs like whole grains and brown rice, quinoa, etc. in moderation.

No matter what you decide to make your long term diet, get rid of the processed foods and sugars. Those items are probably the source of our addictions to food, and the calorie load in these items is very high compared to the amount you eat.

Example...11 Doritos = 140 calories, 8g fat, 15g Net Carbs, 2g Protein. That is for 1oz of chips. Example...Chicken breast=42 calories, 1g fat, 0g Net Carbs, 8g protein. That is for 1oz of chicken breast.

You can probably only eat 4 ounces of chicken breast, but may be able to eat more than 44 Doritos in 1 sitting.

Track your food. Drink plenty of Water. Start exercising again. These things will all help. Your tool should still be there, and will help as well.

Good luck.

Firstly, congratulations on the baby!

Most respondents are advising the original poster to track intake and increase the quantity of protein-rich food to get back on track.

These suggestions, although spot-on, do not address the original poster's root cause for regain and spiraling out of control. She readily admitted she had an addiction to food in her post.

The original poster can certainly go on another diet and lose her massive regain, but she will likely continue the cycle of regaining and losing unless the food addiction component is addressed.

I suggest counseling. Once the psychological component of the food addiction is fully treated, the next step would be getting back on track to lose the regained weight.

However, going on yet another diet without dealing with the food addiction is like washing clothes without soap: since neither action gets to the root cause, the action itself is futile.

Good luck to the original poster. She's got this. :)

If and when you go the a Psychological DR. please make sure that they are familiar with WLS patients. Congratulations on your baby girl. Be strong for her and teach her the healthy way to live!! You can use her for motivation. I can say I sure wish I had helped my daughter to get a healthy base while she was young. Not that she didn't see me on every diet known to man because she did. I thought I was doing great by not having her eat healthy. I at that time didn't realize how important it was. I sure didn't want her to grow u dieting like her mom. I am so sorry now!! She has no idea how to diet. I didn't want her to end up with a eating disorder while in fact I cheated her out of the knowledge as to work hard and eat healthy. So please don't make the same mistake I did. Have a great day and KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!