Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I permanently stretch my sleeve?

Hi guys.. I am officially 3 years out and have lost 133 lbs since my highest before the liquid pre-op diet. I still need to lose 60 pounds before my goal and I feel that i may have ruined my sleeve permanently by regularly overeating portion-wise and also frequency-wise. I have no problem going back to Protein and veggies only, but i don't know if I stretched to the point where eating the 4-6 oz meals will make me feel full enough... ever again... even 8-10 oz.... anyone know or have any thoughts on that?? (I've obviously made a choice to mess up, I know .. and regret it and am willing to do anything to try and fix this if I can)

I've heard from a lot of people that they reverted to the diet regime they had right after surgery, basically go through the entirety of the phases till your back to normal foods and it should shrink your sleeve back to normal size, but I haven't been sleeved yet but that's what I've read from people with long term success

I've heard from a lot of people that they reverted to the diet regime they had right after surgery, basically go through the entirety of the phases till your back to normal foods and it should shrink your sleeve back to normal size, but I haven't been sleeved yet but that's what I've read from people with long term success

I have seen that too, I tried it once over a year ago and it helped for like a day lol. I did ketogenic diet recently and lost 25 pounds, but it's not the way I should be doing it with the sleeve and I really need to do what I'm supposed to do. I'm working out now too but if I'm not eating portions correctly I'll never lose more. I just get hungry so quickly after if I eat the right size . thanks for your reply !

I read that it is actually not as easy as people think to stretch your stomach. Naturally, the stomach has folds that allow it to expand when we eat. So eating poorly or over eating occasionally will not stretch your stomach out over night. You may feel uncomfortable full and guilty for over doing it but you haven't ruined anything. However, if you begin to eat portions the way you did prior to surgery and you begin to eat that way consistently you will indeed stretch your pouch out again over time. So it is very important for you to manage your portions.

My personal opinion is some people get so strict with their diets they end up failing or stumbling. Denying yourself of what you like is a set-up for failure. Try using trackers on your phone to help you manage your calories and your portions. Seeing what you are eating over time helps you to make good decisions throughout the day and helps you see where you may need to adjust.

You shouldn't have to starve yourself to correct this, but you should remember to take your time when you eat so that your brain can register that you are full and if you need to maybe revert to following your post-op diet plan, maybe not the liquid phase but your 90+ day plan.

No problem just trying to be helpful, maybe talk to your dietician or seek local support groups, there are tons in my area and the hospital knows when and where

I think it's probably time for that! Thanks!

I read that it is actually not as easy as people think to stretch your stomach. Naturally, the stomach has folds that allow it to expand when we eat. So eating poorly or over eating occasionally will not stretch your stomach out over night. You may feel uncomfortable full and guilty for over doing it but you haven't ruined anything. However, if you begin to eat portions the way you did prior to surgery and you begin to eat that way consistently you will indeed stretch your pouch out again over time. So it is very important for you to manage your portions.
My personal opinion is some people get so strict with their diets they end up failing or stumbling. Denying yourself of what you like is a set-up for failure. Try using trackers on your phone to help you manage your calories and your portions. Seeing what you are eating over time helps you to make good decisions throughout the day and helps you see where you may need to adjust.
You shouldn't have to starve yourself to correct this, but you should remember to take your time when you eat so that your brain can register that you are full and if you need to maybe revert to following your post-op diet plan, maybe not the liquid phase but your 90+ day plan.

I think I might need to start over to find my fullness limit and portion size meant for my sleeve. I've been consistently eating way more than I should. Usually smart food but way too much. I'm so scared that I stretched it and can't fix it. I am gonna try starting over. Thanks so much