Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 1/2 years with the band

I haven't had reliable enough internet to post much lately, or even read alot of threads but I wanted to express my feeling on living with the band.

Those who have been around for awhile may remember me. If not, I started around 220 and am currently around 140. I just don't worry about my weight anymore. In the last few months, I was sick alot from acid reflux, food intolerances, etc and lack of access to food and dropped 5 pounds. It doesn't look to be coming back, which is fine. I would like to drop 10 more some day.

I left a professional job in the US, 8 years before retirement. I am a contractor in Malawi Africa right now. I don't know where my next job will be and don't worry about it.

I take alot more risks than I did when I was heavy. I don't know if the weight loss gave me the capacity to see that I can do anything or if being 'normal' size was the influencing force.

Surprisingly, my life does revolve around food, even though I don't care if I eat. The main social life here is dinner parties, brunches, etc. Also, My houseboy can cook any recipe I give him. But you can only give him recipes that have foods available here. For example, they are reconditioning the factory that makes cottage cheese and ricotta cheese so it won't be available in the stores for months. Thankfully, I have recipes for homemade that are better anyway. If anyone likes mashed potatoes, spinach, and feta cheese, I have a great casserole recipe for you.

Even though I work at the Ministry of Finance, I don't need to worry as much about clothes as people in the US. They do dress up here alot (even the janitors wear ties) but their clothes do not fit well and they are not trendy or fashionable. So any kind of dress outfit is acceptable. Most of the women don't wear pants yet (they only legalized it in 1994).

I don't always recognize me in pictures, mirrors or things but then, I don't have alot of access to those things. Its only when I look at my picture here that I realize my face has thinned since moving to Malawi.

I don't have access to doctors, fills, etc. When I was sick earlier this year, I flew to South Africa for xrays and a barium swallow. I mailed my US dr the xrays for them to read. My band was fine. Of course, I had to wait about 5 weeks to get answers so I have learned alot of patience. I am still waiting for the new medicine to arrive. Hopefully, this week.

Sorry to ramble but this has always been my place to vent. I miss reading the threads and posting. Hopefully, some day I will be able to activly participate again.

Good luck to everyone. This lapband surgery has just been one of my adventures of a lifetime.

Celeste

Good to hear from you! I'm glad the band is still working for you and you are happy in your new life. Stay safe and healthy!

Road Queen -

I really enjoyed reading about your life in Malawi. I love learning about other cultures. What has been the hardest thing for you to get used to? What was your biggest surprise? What is the weather like?

I envy your courage to make such huge changes in your life - getting banded and moving to another country! You are doing great with your weight (sorry you were sick though) I hope you have access to the internet often so you can keep us updated.

Forestcat

Forestcat5 - thanks. The hardest thing is the struggle to be a good bandster. When I go on safari, meals are provided and the dinner is usually served after 9. At dinner parties or evenings out, people never eat before 8 and I have been at parties where the food wasn't served until 11. Getting Protein can be difficult - I still rely sometimes on shakes and bars.

My biggest surprise was how difficult it is to have staff. I have a 2 acre yard and a huge house. The gardener works 50 hours a week and cannot keep up. I employ my household help half time (and pay full wages) and just keeping up with the dirt, dust, preparing vegetables, laundry, etc is challenging. But I currently have good staff and appreciate it (after a couple of disasters with bad staff).

Right now, it is hot and dry. It has not rained since May. In about a month, the rains will start and continue until May. But most days, its just a couple of showers. In Feb/March, there will be many heavy rains and storms.

Hopefully, my internet will be stable this rainy season. Last year, I lost it from Dec - March.

Celeste

I love hearing about your new life...I am just inquiring about this process and you started close to my weight .. (213)... and your goal is where I'd like to be someday....

I can honestly see how you would gain so much more confidence in yourself...amazing how that happens isn't it? Even though I am overweight I still travel quite a bit...but definitely don't have the energy and stamina that I used to have. I'm looking forward to gaining that back with the lost weight!:clap2:

hey love to hear your stories.

am new here. but have been living overseas for about 6 years....or more like 8 if you add them up..

am now in the Middle East and want to do the BAND surgery...

am about 200 lbs my highest ever..and have a bit of a thyroid problem now...not sure if i always had it..but ..i digress.

So can you get treated or FILL ....i mean what happens...after 2.5 years is there BAND MAINTANANCE???? What does one do to maintain it.

How long did it take you to reach 140lbs???? My Doc says you lose about 40-50 pounds in the first two months. !!!! mmmmmm

am paying for this myself ....instead of a car im getting healthy inshallah...

would love to hear more or do you have a blog??

Thanks and keep sane.

WINTERSUNSHINE:car: