Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious about MEXICO but many questions and concerns

Hello All! Anxious to hear all I can about having surgery in Mexico. I have been researching weight loss surgery for months and having it done in Mexico specifically for weeks.I can't seem to find how and when surgeons get your pre op health info. I have had a few minor surgeries here in US and even simple ones such as D & C and gall bladder removed the pre op work was pretty extensive. Does your surgeon in Mexico ask for any medical records or labs from your regular Dr here? Do they wait until you have paid a deposit, you fly there and the day before surgery do bloodwork, EKG, are you scoped? I am 62 and type 2 diabetic. I also have concerns that my sugar may drop too low on a liquid pre op diet, are you actually monitored closely by real nurses after surgery or by assisstants? LOTS OF QUESTIONS for sure! I'm leaning towards Dr Illian, it seems he is highly thought of and his patients are quite satisfied. Thanks in advance for any help and advice. Mentally I am ready to move forward with surgery and I will be self pay so Mexico is financially possible. I just want to go into this fully prepared.

Where are you from ? The prices have come down in the USA. I had mine in Florida. $10,000. Included everything. I have heard some good and bad things about Mexico.

I am in MI and have not found anywhere near here for that price. One Bariatric Center near me gave an estimate of $50,000 to $80,000. Crazy.......sure will not be going there. Most places I've spoken with are around $20,000 to $30,000 depending at what specific surgery you have of course.

I just had mine done in Juarez, Mexico at Star Medica on the 12th. I went through BeLiteWeight. I submitted all of my pre-op questions before I paid or scheduled or anything. Once I was approved for surgery by the doctor, I was scheduled and I started the pre-op diet. I have a lot of the same history you seem to have. Type 2 diabetic, gallbladder removed, d&c, etc. My fasting sugar was actually about 160 the day of my surgery due to my body healing.

The day I arrived, they did all of the pre-op testing. Ran labs, EKG, x-ray, and I filled out another questionnaire. They explained everything several times over with different people to make sure I understood everything. They did the scope while I was still under to check everything after the procedure and did a leak test the day before I left. It really was a great experience. The hospital was clean and quite nice, actually. I've never received better care from nurses. I'd choose it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by N0VA

Thank you Nova, sounds like they covered all the pre surgery tests and exams just as if you were in the US. That sets my mind at ease a bit

I had a nice view from my hospital room too :D

21017546_10213891225461308_7084682_o.jpg

I had sleeve surgery 8/10/17.. in Tijuana...I swear I had the exact same view...lol I cannot say enough about how wonderful Dr Illian and Bariatric Pal were... the whole team of Doctors and nurses to valets and drivers....They just have their system down and it runs so smooth....you fly in same day they do all your testing and you're in surgery before you have time to get scared... I loved it... I love my new tool ..... and I would do it again in a heartbeat.. I was type 2 diabetes on pills 6 years when I went in...So for me it was Diabetic surgery as much as it was weight loss... you will always hear Dr. ilian patients you the phrase "10 years ago" and that is so true.. BTW at @ $4600 I figure my diabetes and blood pressure medicines will pay for the surgery in about 6 years.... that is not even counting the heart attack I was planning on having next year....

Edited by Mike LaVelle

Thanks for the replies. Would anyone share how payment is handled and how much extra cash should be taken? I realize some of my questions can be answered by speaking with a representative from the surgeons office, weight loss agent, patient coordinator? Just who ARE all these different people anyway! Scrolling around I found a post regarding weight loss agents and how you think your speaking to a professional adult but instead it may be a teen ager hired to take phone calls and give information out? Another question (should I start a new thread since my questions skip around so much!) How did your primary Dr here in the US react to your decision to fly to Mexico for this surgery? Not the decision to have bariatric surgery but the decision to have it in Mexico? Were you reassured you would have continued care and their support and care should any complications arise? Thanks again everyone for your answers!

Kristi,

I just had VSG surgery in Tijuana 3 weeks ago, and understand your concerns. This was a very big decision to make that I researched well. I went back and forth many times before deciding to go with dr. verboonen.< span> I was looking for someone who was very experienced and had good reviews. I also talked to a distant relative who had the same procedure with this doctor a couple of years prior and she told me that her only regret was not doing it years earlier. Before making the decision, I read all of the information on Dr. Verboonen’s website and talked with his patient coordinator, Sheri, who was available to answer all of my questions. I was required to submit my health information via questionnaire to get approval and then paid a $675 deposit to schedule my surgery. The total cost (except airfare) was $4500. It included transportation from San Diego, 2 nights in the clinic with a family member and the 3rd night (last night) stay in a nicer hotel. I couldn’t find anywhere in the US for anywhere close to this price. I arrived and had surgery the same day that I flew in. Before surgery, they did blood work, an EKG and an X-ray. It was a busy day, I believe there were 7 patients that received surgery that day. They have lots of staff that seems to have the process down well. I met with the doctor and other health care workers prior to surgery but was busy enough going through the process I didn’t think of many questions or have time to get too nervous. I am not going to lie, it was not the medical environment that I was expecting compared to hospitals in the U.S., but I would do it again. It is more of a clinic environment that is located in the heart of Tijuana. The buildings are older, the doors have magnetic locks for safety, but it was clean. I had never been to Tijuana before so it was a little bit of a shock to me. The recovery/pre-op room and operating room are directly next to each other. As I was waiting to go in, there was someone in a bed in the same small room that just came out and another in the operating room. Like I said, this was a busy day and people were being rotated into the procedure one after another. The first 2 days after surgery were the roughest for me. My stomach was sore and I think I woke up every 15 minutes the first night. The hospital bed I stayed in wasn’t the most comfortable but I don’t think many are. One thing that helped a little was getting up and walking as soon as possible to try and get rid of some of the gas that is used to inflate the stomach for surgery. I didn’t feel like doing much the second day but felt quite a bit better by the third day. This was the day we could have a popsicle for the first time and it never tasted so good. Before leaving I had to take 2 leak tests that both came back clear. Since leaving, I haven’t had any complications so far. I am now 3 weeks out and just starting to be able to eat mashed potatoes and applesauce in addition to broth.< span> I have noticed that it doesn’t take much food or drink to feel full. I know it is going to take dedication and commitment to reach my goal weight but I feel like this is going to be a huge help in getting me there. I am looking forward to connecting with and hearing from others who are going through the same journey. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Edited by NeaZoi

I did mine in Puerto Vallarta with Dr. Joya. All of my pre-op work was done in the a.m. before surgery. I would never recommend that somebody who is a high risk patient travel to another country for surgery.

One of the advantages of going to Puerto Vallarta is that you don't have to drive over the border, and the hospital is literally next door to the hotel.

I would bring a bit of extra cash for tipping and meds.

Thanks for the replies. Would anyone share how payment is handled and how much extra cash should be taken? I realize some of my questions can be answered by speaking with a representative from the surgeons office, weight loss agent, patient coordinator? Just who ARE all these different people anyway! Scrolling around I found a post regarding weight loss agents and how you think your speaking to a professional adult but instead it may be a teen ager hired to take phone calls and give information out? Another question (should I start a new thread since my questions skip around so much!) How did your primary Dr here in the US react to your decision to fly to Mexico for this surgery? Not the decision to have bariatric surgery but the decision to have it in Mexico? Were you reassured you would have continued care and their support and care should any complications arise? Thanks again everyone for your answers!

I had my surgery in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Illan. I worked with Bill Yanez of BariatricPal MX and he answered all of my questions. He is an adult and anyone you speak to at BariatricPal MX are adults.

Payment is handled through a credit card or Wells Fargo. You can ask Mr. Yanez for more information on that. However, you first must fill out an extensive Health Questionnaire and be approved. Then, if you are approved, you give a deposit (I paid $500) in order to schedule and guarantee your surgery date. And you will have a certain amount of time to pay the balance, depending on how far out your surgery date is. I believe full payment is due one to two weeks before your surgery.

As far as primary doctors, each one will react differently to your getting the surgery in Mexico. But...how I looked at it is like this: I'm paying you to be MY primary doctor...if you don't like it, I will simply fire you and get someone else who will give me the care that I need. For me, I asked my endocrinologist to continue care, because she is the one who suggested I get surgery. And her care was simply giving me blood tests at three month intervals. She agreed to do that for me. Other than blood tests, I have not needed any extra care for my surgery.

Should any complications arise once you get home, there are different insurance companies that do different things. I would check out your particular company to see what they say. However, I have seen on many forums that if you go to the ER, they cannot deny you treatment, irregardless of where you had a surgery.

Also, there is insurance you can purchase, I believe, that will give you coverage for an amount of time after surgery.

I would call Bill Yanez and ask him all of your questions. He is very attentive and will listen to your every concern. You can also talk to, Skype with, and email Dr. Illan with any questions and concerns.

17 hours ago, N0VA said:

I just had mine done in Juarez, Mexico at Star Medica on the 12th. I went through BeLiteWeight. I submitted all of my pre-op questions before I paid or scheduled or anything. Once I was approved for surgery by the doctor, I was scheduled and I started the pre-op diet. I have a lot of the same history you seem to have. Type 2 diabetic, gallbladder removed, d&c, etc. My fasting sugar was actually about 160 the day of my surgery due to my body healing.

The day I arrived, they did all of the pre-op testing. Ran labs, EKG, x-ray, and I filled out another questionnaire. They explained everything several times over with different people to make sure I understood everything. They did the scope while I was still under to check everything after the procedure and did a leak test the day before I left. It really was a great experience. The hospital was clean and quite nice, actually. I've never received better care from nurses. I'd choose it again in a heartbeat.

WOW!! My hubby had his Surgery there and it wasn't a good thing!! We also went thru BELITE, Our coordinator was Sylvia she talked about other patients to us. She didn't seem to know or remember who she was talking about. It was horrible!! We were promised a suite we got a room with barely anything in there which was no problem. The TV was all in Spanish!! The nurses didn't wash their hands or use hand sanitizer. They removed his IV with bare hands. The language was definitely hard. We didn't get release pages. He paid for the RNY but his whole right side was solid scar tissue so he ended up with a SLEEVE. We had to bring our own washcloths from home. Hey, I'm sorry but happy that you had a great experience. We had to pay $50 for pain meds, it's a good thing he didn't need them because they didn't work as good as Tylenol. We wouldn't go back!!! So glad that you had better care and a positive experience.

19 minutes ago, GBLady41 said:

I had my surgery in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Illan. I worked with Bill Yanez of BariatricPal MX and he answered all of my questions. He is an adult and anyone you speak to at BariatricPal MX are adults.

Payment is handled through a credit card or Wells Fargo. You can ask Mr. Yanez for more information on that. However, you first must fill out an extensive Health Questionnaire and be approved. Then, if you are approved, you give a deposit (I paid $500) in order to schedule and guarantee your surgery date. And you will have a certain amount of time to pay the balance, depending on how far out your surgery date is. I believe full payment is due one to two weeks before your surgery.

As far as primary doctors, each one will react differently to your getting the surgery in Mexico. But...how I looked at it is like this: I'm paying you to be MY primary doctor...if you don't like it, I will simply fire you and get someone else who will give me the care that I need. For me, I asked my endocrinologist to continue care, because she is the one who suggested I get surgery. And her care was simply giving me blood tests at three month intervals. She agreed to do that for me. Other than blood tests, I have not needed any extra care for my surgery.

Should any complications arise once you get home, there are different insurance companies that do different things. I would check out your particular company to see what they say. However, I have seen on many forums that if you go to the ER, they cannot deny you treatment, irregardless of where you had a surgery.

Also, there is insurance you can purchase, I believe, that will give you coverage for an amount of time after surgery.

I would call Bill Yanez and ask him all of your questions. He is very attentive and will listen to your every concern. You can also talk to, Skype with, and email Dr. Illan with any questions and concerns.

One thing we have found is ""OTHER BARIATRIC CENTERS" do accept Bariatric People. I actually fired my Surgeon but before I did I made sure that OHSU (OREGON HEALTH AND SCIENCE UNIVERSITY) I love the care I have had. Don't dispare it might be hard but it will work out. Good Afternoon WL PEEPS!!

1 hour ago, shedo82773 said:

WOW!! My hubby had his Surgery there and it wasn't a good thing!! We also went thru BELITE, Our coordinator was Sylvia she talked about other patients to us. She didn't seem to know or remember who she was talking about. It was horrible!! We were promised a suite we got a room with barely anything in there which was no problem. The TV was all in Spanish!! The nurses didn't wash their hands or use hand sanitizer. They removed his IV with bare hands. The language was definitely hard. We didn't get release pages. He paid for the RNY but his whole right side was solid scar tissue so he ended up with a SLEEVE. We had to bring our own washcloths from home. Hey, I'm sorry but happy that you had a great experience. We had to pay $50 for pain meds, it's a good thing he didn't need them because they didn't work as good as Tylenol. We wouldn't go back!!! So glad that you had better care and a positive experience.

Well, I can only hope they learned from their mistakes and that's why my experience was so great! My coordinator was JoAnne but I spoke with about 3 people total for different aspects (billing, sharing experiences, diet etc). I don't think I ever spoke to Sylvia, though. The TV was in Spanish (all but one channel - that actually had decent films playing) but I kind of expected that since we were in Mexico. So it didn't bother me at all. I didn't find the washcloth thing weird... I guess I just chalked it up to being in a different country where they do things differently. All of the nurses used gloves when they handled me (including the IV removal) - that was actually something I was worried about so I looked out for it. There was always a nurse on duty that spoke English well and most other times the others who cared for me knew at least a little bit... if we were having a hard time understanding each other, they'd pull out their phone and we'd communicate via Google translate. All of the Doctors I spoke to spoke perfect English, as well as the assistants we worked with. We also didn't get any release paperwork but we were told that we wouldn't have to sign anything and could leave as soon as the shuttle arrived (honestly, I can't read in Spanish anyway so it didn't bother me. We got all of my instructions via email, in English.). I was told from the get-go that we'd pay a separate $50 for the 3 medications so that didn't surprise me when the time came to pay for it.

All of the billing is actually done through BeLiteWeight so if you paid for something you didn't get (RNY) I'd definitely contact them and have them send you a refund for the difference.

Most of the issues you mentioned were fine for me so maybe your experience helped them fix the issues! So thanks for that!