Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 1 week away-feelings?

I have my surgery the 15th and am nervous, excited and scared. I've told very, very few people what I am doing as I feel it's a private decision that I made for me. My husband is supportive but he is against the surgery, only because it is a surgery and he HATES risk especially to those he loves. This has made it difficult as I really do not have people near me I can just chat with. Then on top of my natural nerves there was an error, clerical, on my authorization from my insurance so I had a major flip out today trying to get it corrected. Thankfully, my doctor's authorization personnel are amazing and talked me down and assured me they would have it corrected in time for the surgery... but part of me worries it's a sign I shouldn't do the surgery. Dumb, as I am not superstitious, but still the thought lurks.

I think I'll feel better once I get the call letting me know the issue is corrected and after the surgery.

Did anyone else feel similar, especially without a group of people to be your support system?

I only told a few people so my support system was small but solid, especially my daughter. It's natural to be afraid. Just remember why you are doing this- for your health so you will have more time with your husband. Does your hospital have a support group that meets? Mine does so I'm going to start going next week. That might be a food option for you.
Good luck - I'll be praying for you.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 194 GW 135

3 hours ago, changingforme said:

I have my surgery the 15th and am nervous, excited and scared. I've told very, very few people what I am doing as I feel it's a private decision that I made for me. My husband is supportive but he is against the surgery, only because it is a surgery and he HATES risk especially to those he loves. This has made it difficult as I really do not have people near me I can just chat with. Then on top of my natural nerves there was an error, clerical, on my authorization from my insurance so I had a major flip out today trying to get it corrected. Thankfully, my doctor's authorization personnel are amazing and talked me down and assured me they would have it corrected in time for the surgery... but part of me worries it's a sign I shouldn't do the surgery. Dumb, as I am not superstitious, but still the thought lurks.

I think I'll feel better once I get the call letting me know the issue is corrected and after the surgery.

Did anyone else feel similar, especially without a group of people to be your support system?

Remind him the risk of staying over weight... You know like death, that might help. There is risk in all things, but the benifit here is amazing.

I went into hospital on my own, did the surgery on my own and woke up on my own and was in agony on my own and my own encouragement was enough. So I am sure you will be fine, but thank your husband for his words but now you need some positive energy around you.

No regrets. I had many 'signs' i should not do it , it was actually just anxiety. I do not need a group of people to give me their opinion or 'support' I know why I am doing this, that was all I needed.

Thank you so much for your words. I think I really just needed to hear from someone who had to do it on their own as well.

3 hours ago, Jfast said:

Thank you so much for your words. I think I really just needed to hear from someone who had to do it on their own as well.

No regrets :) I prefer to just have my own thoughts to process, its hard when too many other opinions and concerns get mixed in.

I'm super excited. Only my husband knows at this point and my family will know after. Ready to start over. I started my two week pre op diet last Monday (surgery 8/16) and after a week I'm down 7lbs and feeling good. Can't wait to start tracking more losses! I'm not particularly worried about the surgery- The only thing I'm worried about is my short term disability kicking in on time.

My husband and two others know about my surgery right now and I'll likely tell my family after and once I am healed.

i agree about the short term disability. I have submitted all my necessary paperwork, have my time off as leave of absence approved and use sick pay for the first unpaid week and hopefully the STD will kick in right from there.

Hope all goes well with that for you too!

My husband was also "not in favor of any elective surgery". He was there for the surgery but I sent him home to get some sleep that night. I was fine by myself. Super supportive hospital staff. My experience was soooo positive and I am so happy that he is now fully on board. I had no problems ever. Am 70 lbs. down now at 10 months. Reversed my Type 2 Diabetes. Completely off my cholesterol meds. No more heartburn. And I don't cry every time I pass a mirror anymore. Best thing I have ever done for myself.
I haven't told anyone else except for my children and one good friend here in town. That's a personal decision and am content with it. Good luck. Hope you are as happy as I am.

Thank you so much for the info! My husband has a tendency to focus on the risks versus the benefits and gets all paranoid. I know I'll definitely be sending him home to sleep!

i hope I am as happy as you have been- I've been happy with the process thus far.

Sounds exactly like mine. Once he met the Dr. (the morning of my surgery) and then after the surgery was over, he was fine. It probably helped my recovery as I was so determined to get up and going so he would stop worrying. If you need anyone to chat with just give me a shout. I really only told one friend (so she could sit with my husband and reassure him I wasn't dying) and my daughter (who was to busy to be much good) Mild discomfort was all I ever felt. Never even took a pain pill. Had the most conservative Dr. ever and spent the first month sipping 2 ounces of liquid every 15 minutes. I was religious about it, which I also think helped with a smooth recovery.

Again, good luck. You are going to love your new life.

Hello,

Congrats on your success. I had my surgery 3 weeks ago, and the only person who knows is my husband. I started at a lower bmi, and I did not want people to belittle or talk about me for my decision. I had high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.

Do you know how long it took for your diabetes to go into remission?

Thank you.

P S. I was also a low BMI. but had Type 2 and high cholesterol. Barely qualified, but beyond pleased with my results.

Hello,

I appreaciate your response.

Thank you.