Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cut Calories and Excercise and no weight loss

Ok, I admit I rarely eat salad. Protein fills me up so fast that I eat my veggies in a separate meal, and even then it's 4oz lightly cooked spinach. Before I cook it, 4oz of spinach is a HUGE plateful, but as soon as it wilts, it's just a normal looking portion.

I am still having issues with the visual sizes of food. A big salad looks so intimidating that I don't want to touch it.

So I actually split those 3 meals up into more smaller meals, same food though. It is simpler to write it as 3 meals for those that can eat more at once.

12 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Really? salad is a slider for me. I can basically eat endless amounts. What is in your salads?

I apologize for the delay, I thought I was following this thread. At this point, I'll add cucumbers, a sprinkle of cheese, and a Protein (Chicken or Shrimp). I use baby spinach, very seldom will I use ice burg. I can only get in a few bites, and I'm done. At this point, I get salads I know will not wilt and can be eaten as other meals. I used to love them so dang much :(

13 hours ago, Introversion said:

Same here...I can eat a decent amount of salad and be hungry 30 minutes later, even if it contained a decent amount of Protein in the form of grilled chicken, cheese, boiled eggs, ham slices, etc.

I can polish off a large restaurant-sized salad in about an hour if I wanted to by eating half now and eating the other half in 30 minutes. My stomach treats salad as a slider.

I eat Salads alone for this reason, because even with Protein, they are sliders, they will take a decent amount of protein that will provide some fullness and add so much moisture to it that it is barely filling, and I am hungry again in an hour.

A whole bag of baby spinach is like 40 calories, so it being a slider isn't an issue, but I have to be really careful when eating out and having salad with other things. It would make it super easy to over eat.

On 8/7/2017 at 10:34 AM, bwillia08 said:

I haven't been tracking on my apps, but I don't think over eating is the culprit maybe undereating. I do have PCOS and the doctor did just start me on Metformin 2 months ago. Only 500mgs/day. My day usually goes:

BF: Protein shake(almond milk) /coffee

snack: oatmeal or more coffee

lunch: Asian baked chicken/veggie Pasta or salad brown rice with veggies occasionally

snack almonds/nuts

Late evening: (Oatmeal or sweet potato prior to working out if going)

dinner: shake (almond milk)

I haven't really tracked my Water I just go from the color of my urine. (I know that's terrible)

I know I've been loosing inches. Somedays I feel like my muscles are inflamed from working out and then if I take a break for 2 day I feel lighter and leaner if that makes sense.

Im just wondering when I'll see something reflected on the scale. 😩

That's a lot of carbs, it may be causing a problem. Carbs are easier to burn, so if you consume rice/potatoes/pasta/flour/sugar/bread/cereal/grains, etc... your body will burn that rather than fat.

Also, take a look at the Protein Shakes, some are made for gaining and are not appropriate. Look for 100 calories per serving, and less than 5 gm carbs/10+ gms of Protein. That being said, at a year out, protein shakes should just be to supplement if you are not able to eat enough protein (this took me a year & 1/2) Try to move to consuming more dense protein and healthy fats. Lean meats, turkey/chicken breast, low sodium lean ham, 93% lean ground turkey/beef, lean steak, seafood, etc.....

The veggie Pasta that you mention, do you mean spiralized veggies? If so, as long as they are non-starchy veggies like zucchini, that is fine.

Hi,

New here and I'm confused on my diet. I am three years out and gained 20 lb I had to trainer go to nutritionist my trainer told me I'm not eating enough calories nutritionist says stay at 1200. I work out 4 to 5 times a week weights elliptical, treadmill I get all my Protein all my Water. The question is if you're working out how many calories am I supposed to have and do I count the exercise reduction if that makes sense . I look great at 163 feel great which is still considered obese. I have pretty good muscles. I'm 62 years old and I'm just at a standstill please help.

Thank you

Ok, so let me get this straight. You had reached a low of 163, but regained 20lbs (now 183?). Did you regain on the 1200 calories? Or did you eat more for a while, and the nut says cut it back down?

Were you exercising and gained anyway, or are you just now rejoining the gym?

Plus, I know you don't want to hear this because I didn't either, coffee is not good either. I guess your body goes to burn the caffeine first instead of the fat? Also you are forcing your body to gain muscle mass is sounds like to me. I'd cut the oatmeal, one cup of coffee, no Pasta, try more eggs and cottage cheese? Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Fla55 said:

Hi,

New here and I'm confused on my diet. I am three years out and gained 20 lb I had to trainer go to nutritionist my trainer told me I'm not eating enough calories nutritionist says stay at 1200. I work out 4 to 5 times a week weights elliptical, treadmill I get all my Protein all my Water. The question is if you're working out how many calories am I supposed to have and do I count the exercise reduction if that makes sense . I look great at 163 feel great which is still considered obese. I have pretty good muscles. I'm 62 years old and I'm just at a standstill please help.

Thank you

You don't indicate how much Protein or Water.

Since I started back with my trainer I increased my protein to 80g minimum from the 60g the Dr and NUT provided post op. It is also key to have protein within about 30 minutes of your workout to help repair muscle. Animal protein is best because it already has all the branch chain amino acids as well as the protein. A shake usually needs to have the bcaa added.

1200 doesn't sound crazy but we don't know your height. You may want to add in one day/week with some slightly higher calories. I found that doing a bit of calorie cycling can help me.

I would emphasize fat too. Make sure you get healthy fats in.

Tracking is key to me. I do best when I stay under 50g of carbs. Track your numbers and see if cutting carbs helps.

I also like switching up things so...switch your Breakfast and dinner. Try a new type of cardio.

Then there is the return to the basics. Go back to the liquid diet for a few days. You have to watch that with your workout but it may help get you started again.

1 hour ago, Geri Marie said:

Plus, I know you don't want to hear this because I didn't either, coffee is not good either. I guess your body goes to burn the caffeine first instead of the fat? Also you are forcing your body to gain muscle mass is sounds like to me. I'd cut the oatmeal, one cup of coffee, no Pasta, try more eggs and cottage cheese? Good luck to you!

I'm curious, my Dr. said eating an egg daily, isn't something he wants to see. It seems as if, a lot of people on this site eat them daily. Oh, the confusion. lol

11 minutes ago, heycrystal2052 said:

I'm curious, my Dr. said eating an egg daily, isn't something he wants to see. It seems as if, a lot of people on this site eat them daily. Oh, the confusion. lol

Interesting...eggs have the highest biological value of any protein-containing food in existence. They are staples in many peoples' maintenance meal plans due to the satiety they provide.

Maybe your doctor is one of those old-guard practitioners who still believes eating eggs on a daily basis will raise a person's cholesterol levels?

Thank you for that replies I get in about 80 85 Protein same with Water. I do construction and we're very hard never went to the gym. Move to Florida started eating out at restaurants very carefully. I don't drink anything with caffeine. I'm 5 4 look great at 167. I do a lot of cardio and some weights. I did the pouch reset lost about 3 pounds. I hired a trainer and was told I'm not eating enough calories I was eating between 1100 and 1200 I record everything so not sure what I'm doing wrong if I log everything two 1200 and burn 300 to 400 calories exercising should I be eating the extra calories that I burn? I'm going to have to look back at my calories and fat thanks for all the help

Hi All,

so here is the update from about a week of adjusting my diet. Started about 269-270. For the past week I've tracked my carb intake at 50-60/ day.

BF: Vega Protein Shake with almond milk

snack: half a Quest Protein Bar

lunch salad with extra meat

snack: nuts or yogurt

dinner: chix with veggies

no breads, oatmeals or anything like that. I upped my Water intake. I could prob seriously decrease my coffee intake. I drink about 20 oz in the morning and maybe 16 throughout the day. Terrible I know.

Right now I'm at about 264.5 and I've been working out. Should this have been more? I'm just hoping that I'll keep losing. I really really want to get out of the 260's I've been there for over a year now. Should I still follow up with my Surgeon?

Thanks everyone!

Can you share your source on the coffee? I have not found that in my research.

My nutritionist told me that. She said to stay away from all caffeinated beverages because of this. I didn't drink coffee at the time, but have since taken it up. So now I've cut down to one cup.

My nutritionist told me that. She said to stay away from all caffeinated beverages because of this. I didn't drink coffee at the time, but have since taken it up. So now I've cut down to one cup.

I've looked and can't find any science to support that claim.