Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cut Calories and Excercise and no weight loss

2 hours ago, bwillia08 said:

Right now I'm at about 264.5 and I've been working out. Should this have been more?

You lost 5 pounds in a week after making some dietary adjustments and exercising. I'd say you're on the correct track.

When is the last time you lost 5 pounds in a week prior to weight loss surgery? I will guess the answer is "Never." The typical person who hasn't had bariatric surgery loses anywhere from 0.5 to 2 pounds weekly with diet and exercise, so you exceeded that.

Keep in mind your progress will be slower than most others because you have PCOS, but keep plugging at it and you'll see continued results.

Keep up the awesome work. :)

Edited by Introversion

Well it was from 7 years ago. But u did just look in my pre op book amd it says stay away from caffeinated, carbonated, and sugary drinks so...

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

On 8/18/2017 at 10:59 AM, travelergirl said:

You don't indicate how much Protein or Water.

Since I started back with my trainer I increased my Protein to 80g minimum from the 60g the Dr and NUT provided post op. It is also key to have protein within about 30 minutes of your workout to help repair muscle. Animal protein is best because it already has all the branch chain amino acids as well as the protein. A shake usually needs to have the bcaa added.

1200 doesn't sound crazy but we don't know your height. You may want to add in one day/week with some slightly higher calories. I found that doing a bit of calorie cycling can help me.

I would emphasize fat too. Make sure you get healthy fats in.

Tracking is key to me. I do best when I stay under 50g of carbs. Track your numbers and see as cutting carbs helps.

I also like switching up things so...switch your Breakfast and dinner. Try a new type of cardio.

Then there is the return to the basics. Go back to the liquid diet for a few days. You have to watch that with your workout but it may help get you started again.

Thanks everyone for the great answers. Since I was doing all the right things I joined a metabolic weight loss place and down 3 lb so I'm on my way. As travel girl stated logging is the key. I cut my calories to 1000 and it's what I needed I guess.

Good luck everybody in your journey

On a serious note u might want to go back to your surgeon & ask him/her what percentage of your stomach did he/she take out cause I know not all of them take out same percentage

As far as the veggie Pasta, there is nothing wrong with that. I think some people read your original post as you were eating regular pasta. So, if you want to add that back into your diet, you can. Veggies are good.

I also have PCOS and I am no longer taking Metformin. I stopped after I had surgery, and my first blood tests came back normal (my PCOS tests and my Bariatric tests).

Because I do have PCOS, I keep my carbs at or below 35 grams a day. I work out 5 days a week, with two of those days being weight training. I also use the elliptical 5 days a week and the recumbent bike 3 days a week. I drink a drinkable yogurt every morning for breakfast (eggs are too heavy for me and the yogurt gives me more protein). I also drink one shake for dinner every day (it works for my lifestyle, so that when I'm out and can't cook something, I still get my protein). I drink at least 150 oz of fluids a day, including 12 servings of Water. I get in at least 100 oz of Protein a day. My nutritionist told me that when you start exercising more, you need two things: fluids and protein.

And....I can only get in about 800 calories, and I'm over 8 months out. I have never stalled once.

My point is...everyone is different. You have to find what works for you. One thing I have learned is...it's not about the number of calories. It's about the amount of fuel you are putting in your body.

But don't think you have to do what other people do. It's about your life and you lifestyle. So if Protein Shakes help you in your lifestyle, then do that. Find what works for you and go for it. Don't try to force yourself to eat more calories thinking it will definitely help you. I tried that and it didn't go well.

As far as personal trainers and nutritionists, unless they have actually dealt with bariatric patients, they are going to give you the same advice they would give anyone else, and we are not anyone else.

Keep discovering. You can do it!!

On 8/7/2017 at 10:10 AM, bwillia08 said:

Hi All,

I've kind of come to my wits end with seeing any kind of results. For the past 5-6 weeks I've completely cut out all form of breads/carbs cheese, dairy etc. I've been working out consistently from 4-5 times a week doing elliptical, boxing and lifting and the scale does nothing but creep up and sometime flux down. If I take off from the gym for 2 days it goes down. I've noticed my clothes do fit differently but the scale hasn't reflected anything and it's very frustrating. So much so I'm considering going to see my doctor, but before I did that I wanted to reach out to you all and see if anyone has struggled with something similar. I was originally sleeved in 8/16 my starting weight was 308 and my current weight fluxs from 265-272. I feel like I've seen 270 or at least the past 11 months. Any advice is totally welcomed.

That IS frustrating. I don't think You ve lost enough since the surgery. Does your doc do follow-up visits? Has s/he noticed? I would definitely ask for for another meeting and a meeting with the nutritionist. This is weird.

On 8/8/2017 at 0:51 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

I eat Salads alone for this reason, because even with Protein, they are sliders, they will take a decent amount of Protein that will provide some fullness and add so much moisture to it that it is barely filling, and I am hungry again in an hour.

A whole bag of baby spinach is like 40 calories, so it being a slider isn't an issue, but I have to be really careful when eating out and having salad with other things. It would make it super easy to over eat.

I can't eat but, only a few bites of salad but my Protein Drink I put in to two three cups of spinach and super greens. I hope it's okay and it has the same effect but it's easier for me. Of course I eat my protein first wait a while and sip for about an hour it takes me to drink 16 ounces

I had several bouts of this as well during the last 2 and a half years. Many times, I actually needed to up my caloric intake. I was using so many calories and not feeding myself. There were times, my nutritionist made me eat MORE carbs. You cannot just look at one aspect, it's all connected. I had MONTHS where I would stall and then bam the next month I would loose a ton of weight. I am a logical person so my thought was, I am doing A, B, C so D should be the result. Nope.

18 hours ago, Fla55 said:

I can't eat but, only a few bites of salad but my Protein drink I put in to two three cups of spinach and super greens. I hope it's okay and it has the same effect but it's easier for me. Of course I eat my protein first wait a while and sip for about an hour it takes me to drink 16 ounces

Yeah that's what I'm doing they made me bump up my calories several had to try this see how it goes so far down 8 lbs 12 more to go good luck on your journey