Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there an alternate to popcorn craving?

I always loved popcorn (before the surgery) and love it a little more now after the surgery :D. I was sleeved a little over 7 months ago. I have read many posts about popcorn being a slider food and totally agree. I cannot consume more than half a chicken wing, but can easily consume about 100-200 grams of popcorn.

I was wondering if there is an alternate food that is healthy, fibrous and crunchy that can easily be substituted for popcorn? If yes, please share details.

Just don't add oil, just add Water and salt and you'll have no calorie issues. I love popcorn and I don't see the problem with ig. It's just the oil that has more than 100 calories in a single table spoon.

SW:305
CW:217

Sleeved 01.30.17

I eat popcorn, it's a low carb/cal/fat snack and I have no problem with it. But it's an occasional thing.

I agree with the people saying if you don't use butter, it should be fine. (Once you are totally healed and it won't hurt staples, etc.) I enjoy a single size bag of Skinny Pop once in a while, when nothing else will do. Never more than once a week, I would guess, though I haven't been deliberate about it. The single bag controls my portion, so I don't eat more than I think I am. I haven't noticed any impact on my weight loss, it is still going very well.

That said, I am far enough out that I can handle that PLUS still get all my Protein and liquid in, which I am guessing is the most important part. A few weeks ago that wasn't the case. But my thought now is, as far as treats go, popcorn has very few calories, so if it doesn't interfere with liquid or protein intake, why not?

I have tried those Quest chips, too, and they are okay. Kind of like baked lays, but not as good. (That's right-- baked lays are GOOD in comparison.) But the crunchy is there, and I like the BBQ flavor.

I make a ranch dip for carrot chips and add sifted, unflavored Protein Powder. Although cold, it does satisfy that craving for something crunchy and salty. I find that it really fills me up.

I usually air pop my popcorn and just throw a little sea salt on it when I need a snack. I think as long as you watch your portion size popcorn is not a horrible snack.

17 hours ago, Jess13 said:

I thought it had something to do with the hulls that put popcorn on the do not eat list.

Early out I would say yes for sure. My NUT said not to eat popcorn until at least 12 weeks post op. At 7 months post op now, I don't have any issues eating popcorn but my incisions are healed.

Thank you all for the replies. I tried making popcorn with Water today and loved it :D. Didn't know there was an option to make popcorn pop without oil.

I try not to have popcorn, but if I do, I'll get the 100 calorie pack. I am questionable when it comes to popcorn, so I turned that like over to Pork rinds. They have Protein, and are a healthy snack.