Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Drink Suggestion

Just 5 days until surgery (gasp) and thought I'd share how I've been making my Protein drinks (Premier, pre-made) more palatable. In the blender, with a couple of ice cubes and a dash of cinnamon. Works on all the flavors so far, but I just picked up some strawberry so that might not be a good match. I know from this website that my tastes will change after surgery, but at least for now I'm okay!

I almost forgot to add: that I put my drink in an insulated Water bottle so that I can drink it over a long period and it's still cold. The longer I take to drink it, the better I can tolerate it.

Edited by Nhope

Just 5 days until surgery (gasp) and thought I'd share how I've been making my Protein Drinks (Premier, pre-made) more palatable. In the blender, with a couple of ice cubes and a dash of cinnamon. Works on all the flavors so far, but I just picked up some strawberry so that might not be a good match. I know from this website that my tastes will change after surgery, but at least for now I'm okay!
I almost forgot to add: that I put my drink in an insulated water bottle so that I can drink it over a long period and it's still cold. The longer I take to drink it, the better I can tolerate it.

I found that the Atkins chocolate shake taste a lot better then others I've tried. I'm on my week liquid diet and my surgery is scheduled for august 3rd.

My surgeon shared that he wants me to stay away from Premier Protein because it has too much Protein and won't shrink the liver...has anyone else heard this? I like premier and struggle finding others I like...any suggestions?

26 minutes ago, OhioMary said:

My surgeon shared that he wants me to stay away from Premier Protein because it has too much Protein and won't shrink the liver...has anyone else heard this? I like premier and struggle finding others I like...any suggestions?

I had not heard that - my understanding was to cut fat to shrink the liver and not Protein. My team was fine with Premier - which I use premixed occasionally.

In terms of mixing it up - I like the Premier pre-mix caramel mixed with a cup of cold coffee and a squirt of Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup (Hershey's makes one or you can get the syrups coffee houses use - which is what I use.) In the blender with some ice and you have a 30g protein frappucino.

Mostly, I use the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey - I get the big bag from costco. I use vanilla for the most part. Lately I've been going tropical - today was 1 cup coconut milk, half a mango, scoop of powder and some ice. I just finished it - having been working on it since about 8.

I had not heard that - my understanding was to cut fat to shrink the liver and not Protein. My team was fine with Premier - which I use premixed occasionally.
In terms of mixing it up - I like the Premier pre-mix caramel mixed with a cup of cold coffee and a squirt of Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup (Hershey's makes one or you can get the syrups coffee houses use - which is what I use.) In the blender with some ice and you have a 30g protein frappucino.
Mostly, I use the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey - I get the big bag from costco. I use vanilla for the most part. Lately I've been going tropical - today was 1 cup coconut milk, half a mango, scoop of powder and some ice. I just finished it - having been working on it since about 8.

I will have to check out the Optimum Nutrition from Costco! The tropical smoothie sounds wonderful!

My program pushes the premier protein premixed and powder. And they do sell Bariatric Advantage, baricare and new direction. They don't push it on you and just require that our meal replacements/protein drinks have at least 25g protein/less than 10g carbs/30% vit & minerals. The only thing I've found I like without absolute hesitation is Injury unflavored. The others I can tolerate.

Ta Rena

I was using quest... my favorite was the Cookies n cream

On July 30, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Nhope said:

Just 5 days until surgery (gasp) and thought I'd share how I've been making my Protein Drinks (Premier, pre-made) more palatable. In the blender, with a couple of ice cubes and a dash of cinnamon. Works on all the flavors so far, but I just picked up some strawberry so that might not be a good match. I know from this website that my tastes will change after surgery, but at least for now I'm okay!

I almost forgot to add: that I put my drink in an insulated Water bottle so that I can drink it over a long period and it's still cold. The longer I take to drink it, the better I can tolerate it.

I would be careful drinking it over too long of a period. That is considered grazing, then, and we should NOT graze or snack. Sometimes it does take me a while to drink my coffee with protien, but not too long. Thats a good idea with the cinnamon.

I just had my first post-surgery visit and cannot tell you how wonderful it was to eat an egg for dinner last night! For the first few days after surgery, I was very stressed out about the Protein Drink issue. All the ones I stocked up on (ignoring all the good advice NOT to stock up) were intolerable--either making me bloated and nauseated, or I simply couldn't drink more than a few sips and then I wouldn't be able to eat or drink anything for several hours. After a couple of days, I decided that to stop forcing myself and just drank the ones I could, even if they were not the highest grams of Protein. That way I was at least getting something in! After a week, I was able to take in more and that gets better each day. I'm not yet up to 60grms of protein a day, but I'll get there, especially now that I can eat eggs, cottage cheese, tofu, etc.

I have to ask... not to be a cynic but does your practice sell a particular brand of bariatrically advantageous powder and supplements? (See what I did there?) I have friends who have gone through this with other practices, where they discourage all the other stuff but the type they sell. My practice does sell BA stuff but they recommend premier by name as a great choice pre and post surgical.