Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Howdy and Imaginary Hat Tip

Hi y'all from the big ol' state of Texas. I'm a long-time reader, first time poster seeking long walks down the meat isle and gentle laughter in the produce department. I'm new to the whole WLS gig and am trying to wrap my head around new possibilities for living a successful, healthy, cancer-free life. I'm a 6 year breast cancer survivor who battles with stage II lymphedema in my left arm, a lovely parting gift of cancer treatment/surgery/reconstruction, so I no longer do much on my old blog. I was a very active writer | blogger specializing in low carb Keto living. Now I'm just a noob, grateful for the information, knowledge, and wisdom of fellow WLS losers (veteran and newbie alike). I look forward to participating here and getting to know each of you. TIA by the way!

(BTW, I'm not really seeking a date with ya :lol:--so don't be "skeered" I might be a letch or anything. I'm in a very happy 17 year relationship with my SO, Mr. Fluffy ;-).)

Edited by FluffyChix

Welcome! Do you have a surgery date, or know which procedure you're looking at?

Where abouts in Texas are you? I have family in Austin, and friends in Houston. My hubby spent a summer in San Antonio, and loved it. (I'm in Maryland, so no worries about me tracking you down.. lol!)

Hi Berry78! I'm in the Houston area. I only have a tentative time-frame (still doing all the pre-reqs for qualification). I don't want to have it right between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I'm thinking mid-January 2018 I will start the whole "new year-new you" thing with a bang! We don't know yet which way I will go. I do have a history of GERD, and with the cancer/pre-diabetes/PCOS, I personally lean towards the RNY, but I've got to speak with my oncologist to make sure there won't be any issues with absorption and with maintaining a steady serum level of my anti-cancer/hormone therapy pill--so I might not know for sure whether it would be an RNY or VSG. I lived in Austin and loved it and spent a lot of time in and around San Antonio--very cool town and area. The Texas Hill Country (which kinda starts in San Antonio) is God's country! I've always wanted to visit Maryland and eat ALL the crab cakes!

Awesome! Sounds like you are on the right track with everything!

Maryland is a nice state.. it has ocean, bay, rivers, and man-made lakes (no natural lakes!).. mountains, plains,.. D.C right next door, and Baltimore (historic port city). All that stuff in one fairly tiny package.

I never was fond of blue crab (from which crab cakes spring).. but with my tastebud changes, maybe I'll like it more :)

Welcome. Since you have GERD, RNY gastric bypass is probably a good choice, since sleeve will only make the condition worse. Many times the timing from deciding to have surgery and actually having the surgery can be long. For me it was around 9 months. Therefore it is common for the process to encompass two calendar years and thereby two deductible year for your insurance. Therefore if you can schedule the whole process and fit it within a one year timeframe, it will minimize your health insurance costs.

Thank you for these tips! It's such an interesting study on the human psyche, but I deferred making a decision and moving forward with surgery plans for a couple of years. My oncologist has been gently encouraging me (moving me) toward this surgical intervention for years because my recurrence risk has been crazy high. I resisted (I'm 6 years out from an aggressive, late-stage breast cancer.) And now that I've made up my mind to do WLS, I am impatient to get "the party started." LOL. :rolleyes: Like I want it yesterday.

I hear ya about the GERD. I also feel like with breast cancer, pre-diabetes, PCOS/metabolic syndrome, HBP and a few other delightful co-morbidities I'm a walking time-bomb and need to really have more malabsorption in the equation. The only huge thing that complicates it is if I would still be able to absorb my Femara (aromatase inhibitor) after RNY or DS. And the secondary question would be what happens to my chance of long-term survival in the event of recurrence? Would the surgery complicate treatment/survival?

I had GERD, diabetes and high blood pressure prior to surgery. I was taking 4 types of prescription medicine for these conditions. All those health conditions went into remission within 2 weeks after surgery and I have not been taking any medicine for these condition ever since. I am over 4 years post-op.

I have not information on absorption of Femara after surgery. Probably best to work with your surgeons office on this one. Also I have not come across studies on reoccurrence of breast cancer after WLS. Although I have seen studies that imply consuming less sugar helps in minimizing cancer. Generally after surgery, I was able to control my sweet tooth.

Welcome!! YAY KUDO'S on fighting that damn CANCER!!! Sorry I lost my MOM 13 years ago to Lung Cancer. I hate that stuff, muchh like everyone else. I had the RNY on July 2, 2013. I have maintained my weight loss for 3 and 1/2 years. I lost my weight in 6 months. I was so insulin resistant that my PCP was ready to throw up his hands. Since my surgery I haven't had to use anything. They call it remission. LOL I guess once you have Diabetes you have it. I found out 3 months ago when I had my blood work done, my BS was 210. My new DR wanted to treat it right away. I told her give me a month. I got back into my exercise and set down hard on my carbs. The first morning it was 165 then the rest were well within the guidelines so I dodged a bullet there. I decided to have the RNY because I knew I one chance and I said GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! I have never been srry about my choice not ever. Good Luck on whichever surgery you decide on. Never be afraid to ask ?. I'm sure you will get anwsers on any thing you may want to know. I look forward to following your journey.

James-I so agree with you! Sugar is just death--especially if you have or have had cancer! Congrats on your success and on being able to arrest your disease progression! Woot! I know you had to be thrilled to be able to stop your meds so soon after the surgery?! I read your story your sometimes link to (that has the recipes) and you have been one of my inspirations to begin this journey. And I hope to be able to pick your brain a bit more about your use of chili and "stewps" as an easy means of meal planning!

Here is an abstract that talks about bariatric surgery and breast cancer reduction. I can't get hold of the complete thesis, nor am I succeeding finding the 2 studies it references in PubMed. But it appears encouraging. In my first 5 years, I had a greater than 50% probability of recurrence and did not have good odds for 5 year survival. Now, I'm down to 25%, which is awesome to cut the risk in about half, but it's still pretty high risk from my POV--so if WLS can further cut that risk...WOW! Sadly Femara will be a drug that won't get to be discontinued after surgery--although I have hope my other meds will go bye-bye! :)

Sherrie, so sorry to hear about your mama! ((Sherrie)) I also lost my mom to complications of lung cancer. Cancer sucks! Congrats on your weight loss and control of the insulin resistance!! But boo on the new blood sugar! :( Glad you're back on course! Thank you for sharing your inspiration. I really pray that the surgery will help me get a handle on the IR. Even with fasting, reducing cals, and 35lbs weight loss my insulin is still on the high end of normal. :(

A few years ago I began experimenting with essential oils. FluffyChix you may find the following article interesting. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Experiments_with_Essential_Oils.pdf

Thanks James. Will take a look at it.