Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise suggestions with bad knees

I'm cleared to go to the gym and was told to incorporate strength training and try to go an hour a day 5 days a week. I'm mentally ready. I've had arthritis in my knees for 20 years. Since I can no longer take NSAID's its been bad. I'm in the process of getting gel injections in my left knee which was always worse, so hoping that'll help, I get my second of 5 injections today and go back once a week until they're done. My "good knee" had been bad recently. Yesterday was my first day back to worse and after a few hrs on my feet was actually hobbling the rest of the day. I'm tossing and turning waking up at night in pain. I'm going to talk to my ortho doc today at my appointment. However meantime wondering for those with similar problems what gym equipment doesn't cause you more pain? I don't want to wait until feel better and know with arthritis if you're not moving you'll get stiff. I know Water exercises are good but I joined a cheaper gym that does not have a pool shui that's not an option. Thanks for your suggestions.

As a person with bad knees as well I understand where you are at. Treadmills can be your friend, as they tend to absorb more shock from walking making it easier on your knees. Also ice is your friend when it comes to knee pain after a visit to the gym. Take your time and work your way back into it, your knees will feel better as you take more weight off and use them more.

I'm bone on bone in both knees. I need to have them both replaced, which was what started this journey - my ortho wouldn't do the surgery unless my BMI was under 35. (I'm probably putting off the replacement by at least 10 years now due to weight loss.) So here are a few things to consider -

1 - While you cannot take NSAIDs, you can take Cox-2 inhibitors (Celebrex, Mobic). I was switched from Naproxyn pre-surgery to Mobic and it has really helped control my pain. My VSG surgeon was part of that decision -- get both docs on the same page.

2 - My YMCA has recumbent elliptical bikes - so the pedaling is more like just pushing back and forth - very low stress on the knees. I could even do that pre-op. I would cue up and episode of Breaking Bad and pedal until it was done.

3 - Work with a trainer at the gym or get a referral for a few PT visits from your ortho to have a physical therapist help you set up a plan for weights with your legs. Strengthening your quadriceps and hamstrings is vital to rebuilding strength in your knees and transferring the load to the muscle from the joint. Start with low weight and 3 sets of 10 on leg press, leg extension and hamstring curl. But do work with a trainer or PT person to set up a safe plan for whatever your knee issue is.

4 - Consider a cortisone shot for the knees - I have them done about every 4 months with viscous supplementation about every 9 months. (I prefer Synvisc One which is a single injection rather than the repeats of smaller.) The cortisone injection will not affect your stomach and will reduce the inflammation so you can do more.

For what its worth - pre-op I was taking multiple Vicodin a day for knee pain. I'm down 99.5 pounds and almost a year out - I now fence (as in en garde) 5 hours a week and am in the gym another five and haven't taken a narcotic for knee pain in probably 8 months.

Remember - each pound off your body is 5-7 pounds of pressure off your knees. Get on a recumbent bike of some kind for your aerobic activity until you have more mobility.

I was on no big for a couple years prior to surgery and the surgeons office told me it was an NSAID and I had to stop it 2 weeks prior to surgery and not take it anymore. I just took their word for it and stopped. It really helped me. Didn't take pain completely away but I want spasming and throbbing all night long. I'm going to have to ask about that then. Unfortunately the steroid injection did nothing for me. I had a nerve block the day before surgery bc he wanted to make sure I could comfortably walk post op, amazing I had not pain for 3 weeks, but now here I am. I did go through physical therapy also before surgery and they gave me exercises to help stretch and strengthen my gluteal muscles. My physical therapist have me his business card and said to call if of like you schedule more sessions after surgery, they're located upstairs from my ortho doc's office. I absolutely don't want narcotics, I'm sensitive to pain meds. I have arthritis in my spine and last summer a flare up pinched off a nerve in my neck and I had horrific nerve pain in my arm. I thought for sure I tore a muscle. Anyway I was on Gabapentin and everyday I felt foggy. I ended up having to take it all at night so I could function better at work. I swear since I've been off of it my mind is so much clearer. Thanks for the advice.

I have arthritis in my knees and I can't stand continuously without it causing extreme pain later on. I have only a finite amount of standing that I can do in a day before I'm wrecked. And no amount of healthy knee exercises seems to change it, meaning exercise is great but it doesn't resolve my standing challenges.

I would encourage you to see if there are ways to minimize standing and make sure you're wearing supportive shoes.

I have arthritis in my knees and I can't stand continuously without it causing extreme pain later on. I have only a finite amount of standing that I can do in a day before I'm wrecked. And no amount of healthy knee exercises seems to change it, meaning exercise is great but it doesn't resolve my standing challenges.
I would encourage you to see if there are ways to minimize standing and make sure you're wearing supportive shoes.

Unfortunately I work 12 + hr shifts on a busy medical surgical floor as a nurse. I have good shoes and compression socks. The problem then turns into standing at the bedside then standing at the med cart etc. So I know what you mean about the standing. Hopefully the weight will be off before I know it and will help.