Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most absurd thing people said to you when you told them you were having WLS?

That's why you must choose the safe people in your life....Sometimes people closest to you are the wrong ones to share this with...there will always be judgmental people around you but just remember this decision is yours and yours alone and with that being said there will still be people around you that will try to scare you out of this....but you know when you've reached this point in life you've tried everything else..alot of people also think that this is the easy way out...but this is NOT easy and it's a tool to lose weight permanently

Sent from my SM-N910V using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, mytime4me said:

Your sister has the right plan, I got guilted into it by my husband because we have two small kids and she is going to "help" while I recover. I honestly have told 4 people in total and not sure when I'll be ready to share beyond that -if ever. The way I look at, people judge me bc I am fat, they'll judge me bc I had to loose so much weight in the first place, they'll judge me for being a mets fan...and the list goes on and on. Right now, I'm just worried about how I judge me- the rest will figure itself out :)

...oh and my MIL is un invited to thanksgiving hahaha

Good Lord, you're a Mets fan?!?

Sometimes and( I know people do have bad experiences with telling people about surgery ) you will be very surprised I told my close friends and family and some co workers I was having it done so the day of my mom and fiancé were receiving a ton of texts checking in on the actual surgery, my mom asked before I went in the day of if she could just write it on Facebook so she didn't have to respond individually to 1000 text twenty different times to update people and I told her no... but then got to thinking that I don't care what others think, I've worked really hard to even have this surgery, I'm making a huge life change and I'm proud of myself, so that night after having surgery from the hospital bed I made a huge Facebook post about here goes the first day of the rest of my new life and I was SHOCKED by the amount of support I received!!!! Over 100 comment and almost 200 likes of all support!!! I think you will feel so much happier to just be honest and open, when you hide it it subconsciously always makes you feel like your doing something wrong and by no means is this the easy way out of weight loss! I've had so many people say I don't know how you do it it just seems so difficult... but again I'm proud of how far I've come and I'm not even one week post op and have the love and support from my close community!!! And it feels GREAT... ignore the people who have negativity chances are they have never been in your shoes, also if there negative towards you they probably have something dragging them down in their lives and want to induce negativity around them to make them selves feel better! Respond to them with didn't your mother ever tell you if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all!!!

9 hours ago, Noworneverthin said:

Horror story that someone died after getting the excess skin removed. I dont need to hear stuff like that! Its scary enough. I'm trying to save my life

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

...some days I can't even with people! Good for you for trying to save your life. I swear, someone said "Anesthesia is no joke" , I responded with "So is heart failure for carrying around an extra 100 lbs" That shut them down for a little while anyway. SMH.

7 hours ago, gwbicster said:

Good Lord, you're a Mets fan?!?

...its worse than that, METS and JETS. I guess I just like to cry a lot :)

6 hours ago, bl1988 said:

Sometimes and( I know people do have bad experiences with telling people about surgery ) you will be very surprised I told my close friends and family and some co workers I was having it done so the day of my mom and fiancé were receiving a ton of texts checking in on the actual surgery, my mom asked before I went in the day of if she could just write it on Facebook so she didn't have to respond individually to 1000 text twenty different times to update people and I told her no... but then got to thinking that I don't care what others think, I've worked really hard to even have this surgery, I'm making a huge life change and I'm proud of myself, so that night after having surgery from the hospital bed I made a huge Facebook post about here goes the first day of the rest of my new life and I was SHOCKED by the amount of support I received!!!! Over 100 comment and almost 200 likes of all support!!! I think you will feel so much happier to just be honest and open, when you hide it it subconsciously always makes you feel like your doing something wrong and by no means is this the easy way out of weight loss! I've had so many people say I don't know how you do it it just seems so difficult... but again I'm proud of how far I've come and I'm not even one week post op and have the love and support from my close community!!! And it feels GREAT... ignore the people who have negativity chances are they have never been in your shoes, also if there negative towards you they probably have something dragging them down in their lives and want to induce negativity around them to make them selves feel better! Respond to them with didn't your mother ever tell you if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all!!!

THANK YOU! Its good to know that there is a lot of love out there for what we are doing, once we get passed the few negative ones that don't understand, don't agree or can't get passed their own issues to be supportive! I am getting sleeved Friday. I hope to be as happy and secure as you soon!!!! Good luck :)

9 hours ago, Noworneverthin said:

Horror story that someone died after getting the excess skin removed. I dont need to hear stuff like that! Its scary enough. I'm trying to save my life

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

...it amazes me that people think we are doing this for a quick and easy fix ;(

People don't realize what they say. Often their hearts are in the right place but they completely screw up on the delivery.

My brother encouraged me to go for walks every day. My ex told me he was scared for me. My mother told me when she saw I was losing weight from the Meal Replacement diet pre surgery that "see you don't need the surgery, just keep doing what you're doing now..." and then day of surgery, was told "it's not too late to change your mind!"

i believe these statements are fear driven.

Like I said- heart in the right place.

1 hour ago, mytime4me said:

...its worse than that, METS and JETS. I guess I just like to cry a lot :)

I admire fans in cities with more than one choice, who STICK to their teams and don't just root for the flavor of the month. Congrats!

I actually had a nurse in a doctor's office (my mother's doctor) say that I was cheating by taking the easy way. WTH!!! Anyone who says something that assinine shouldn't be in the healthcare "business". Doesn't know her head from her "you know what". Just so blessed to have family, friends, & co-worker's support.

Edited by polliwoggle

I had one person tell me that if i ate too much, that my stomach would explode.

Mine was... do yoga and eat boiled chicken and vegetables

20 minutes ago, polliwoggle said:

I actually had a nurse in a doctor's office (my mother's doctor) say that I was cheating by taking the easy way. WTH!!! Anyone who says something that assinine shouldn't be in the healthcare "business". Doesn't know her head from her "you know what". Just so blessed to have family, friends, & co-worker's support.

..there are so many people out there that don't know their head from their "you know what" haha. Im glad to hear you have such good support and I hope you are feeling fantastic.

12 minutes ago, Kimba Marie Angelina Wiggins said:

I had one person tell me that if i ate too much, that my stomach would explode.

...wow, that's impressive! I am not sure I would have been able to keep a straight face :)