Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most absurd thing people said to you when you told them you were having WLS?

12 minutes ago, Tat19808 said:

Mine was... do yoga and eat boiled chicken and vegetables

...yoga, who knew that was the key all along! Sigh....

...yoga, who knew that was the key all along! Sigh....

Then I'm doomed! I'm doing yoga and as bad as I am at it I might as well save my fat pants!

I had the rny about little over 2 weeks ago. Prior to surgery i didnt tell anyone but my husband. But my family and friends are really nosey. Lol. So i ended up telling some family and fyi i come from a family of big women and men. Not surprisingly everyone was negative. " 1.Why would you do that you not that big. Lol. 2.your legs are skinny just your stomach is big. WTH... 3. You should go gym and dont eat out at resturants so much. " meanwhile i been in the gym for over a year i rarely eat out, nothing beats home cooked meals. Fast foward to this week. I finally got back to the big island after being on oahu for surgery for two weeks and since surgery i lost about 20 lbs. Everyone was shocked. No one said a dam thing about my so called FAT. Lol. Now some are even saying they might look into the surgery for themselves. Power to them, but for me i did this for my family because i wanted to be around for along time and be there for all my childrens graduations weddings children and anything important. I cant help them from the grave. So so far it has been a rough mental journey but i kept pushing ahead and now i feel it was so worth it. And id do it all over again. So im so proud of everyone of you for making this decision its not eazy and only the tough will consider and do it.
(Desiree from hawaii )

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

10 hours ago, Joann454 said:

Then I'm doomed! I'm doing yoga and as bad as I am at it I might as well save my fat pants!

hahaha!

10 hours ago, Mrs chow said:

So so far it has been a rough mental journey but i kept pushing ahead and now i feel it was so worth it. And id do it all over again. So im so proud of everyone of you for making this decision its not eazy and only the tough will consider and do it.

Thank you for this, I really needed to hear it today. My surgery is Friday and I woke up last night crying. I was in sheer panic and started to doubt myself for the first time. I was sobbing so loud it woke up my husband, who initially was against me getting this done. He held my hand and reminded me all of the reasons why I need to do this for me. We have a 2 and 3 year old and I really want to be here for them as long as I can. Nothing is guaranteed in this world, but I do know if I stay on the path I am now - I will not be here long enough or be a healthy, happy person for them to see. Good luck with your journey, I hope come Friday afternoon when I wake up in recovery I am in the same place you are!

-Allison

Thank you for this, I really needed to hear it today. My surgery is Friday and I woke up last night crying. I was in sheer panic and started to doubt myself for the first time. I was sobbing so loud it woke up my husband, who initially was against me getting this done. He held my hand and reminded me all of the reasons why I need to do this for me. We have a 2 and 3 year old and I really want to be here for them as long as I can. Nothing is guaranteed in this world, but I do know if I stay on the path I am now - I will not be here long enough or be a healthy, happy person for them to see. Good luck with your journey, I hope come Friday afternoon when I wake up in recovery I am in the same place you are!
-Allison

I'm only two months out and I feel wonderful! I'm exercising and eating healthy and my hunger is so easily satisfied with Protein. You might not be thrilled the first few days but it gets so much better and so quickly. I was petrified before surgery. Go in with a positive attitude and before you know it you'll be on the other side and happy to start your new healthy life! Best of luck to you and so keep us posted!

3 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

Go in with a positive attitude and before you know it you'll be on the other side and happy to start your new healthy life! Best of luck to you and so keep us posted!

Thank you! I am really trying to keep it positive, this is the first time I really found myself doubting. Part of it is the end of the pre-op diet, I have no energy, I keep crying and I am exhausted. I was making my two year old Breakfast this AM and started crying because I had a thought that I may never eat that much food again (although in reality that will probably be the same food portion I can eat in a few months haha). I pulled myself together and now feel better. Reading all these stories of happiness and change and I am hopeful. Thank you for the support :)

Woah, that's fucked up. Your MIL said that??? Damn, I'm not even sure what I would reply with. IMO that's a reason to cut her out of everything. Ice the b***h out. I'm kind of not even kidding. I would have been so hurt and angry in that moment. And your HR person?? You should go to the person over their head and tell them what they said. Again, I'm not kidding. One of the many things I run at my small office is HR. That was inappropriate and a reason to tell their superior. If only to help the next person who has to go to them with something so personal and sensitive. That is grounds for a formal warning.

I guess the bottom line here is that I feel like people are willing to speak to you in a manner that is not only hurtful but inconsiderate and rude. And these are two people who should be speaking to you in the antithesis of that. Maybe you need to access some of those repressed feelings and words that feed into our obesity (It's what I've been doing for 10 months. As i tell people, I don't have the luxury of eating away my pain and feelings anymore so b*****s better be ready. lol!). Stand up for yourself and tell them, at the VERY LEAST, if they don't have something kind and supportive to say, than say nothing.

And what does your hubby think? Ugh, maybe I'm just in an emotional spot today but this would have upset me greatly.

1 hour ago, mytime4me said:

Thank you! I am really trying to keep it positive, this is the first time I really found myself doubting. Part of it is the end of the pre-op diet, I have no energy, I keep crying and I am exhausted. I was making my two year old Breakfast this AM and started crying because I had a thought that I may never eat that much food again (although in reality that will probably be the same food portion I can eat in a few months haha). I pulled myself together and now feel better. Reading all these stories of happiness and change and I am hopeful. Thank you for the support :)

Hey girl!! Ok, so I want you to know that you WILL get your life back! OMG I was in fear and crying and scared before the surgery, and a little afterwards too. I was afraid my life was over as I knew it, that I would not get to be like "normal" people, etc.

#1 - those are all normal, healthy, regular fears!! It's healthy to be afraid and scared and nervous. Humans hate change and this is a BIG one.

#2 - For the first 8 weeks things ARE going to be weird and you won't eat normal food and it will feel like this is your forever now. It's NOT. I promise, promise, PROMISE.

#3 - This is (i mean, most likely, I don't want to jinx anything, lol!) , hands down besides having your babies, the best decision of your life. Your life in 6 months from your surgery will be one of so much more happiness, movement, wonder, life, joy, etc. You aren't even READY for how great things are gonna be!!

Good luck, You are gonna do amazing. I know your fear, I felt it. And that's part of what makes us so god damned AMAZING. We are terrified...but we do it anyway. Anyone that says it's the easy way out has no idea what they are talking about.

53 minutes ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

Stand up for yourself and tell them, at the VERY LEAST, if they don't have something kind and supportive to say, than say nothing.

And what does your hubby think? Ugh, maybe I'm just in an emotional spot today but this would have upset me greatly.

You nailed it...I am getting pretty good at telling people to STFU these days. One hand, I think its the pre-op diet other hand, I think its just the new me. I am not taking this step lightly and I am not doing it for a quick an magical fix - I am however, doing it for myself and my family. As far as my MIL, thankfully she doesn't live close and we don't see her often. My husband basically told her if she isnt going to support my journey - she is not welcome on it. I'm thankful to have a good guy by my side.

I did put a complaint in to the HR department, as I sat and thought about it for a few days I only got madder. I don't want anyone to lose their job but someone in that field should understand words/actions have consequences...

57 minutes ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

Good luck, You are gonna do amazing. I know your fear, I felt it. And that's part of what makes us so god damned AMAZING. We are terrified...but we do it anyway. Anyone that says it's the easy way out has no idea what they are talking about.

THIS....ALL OF THIS! These words help more than you know!

20 minutes ago, mytime4me said:

You nailed it...I am getting pretty good at telling people to STFU these days. One hand, I think its the pre-op diet other hand, I think its just the new me. I am not taking this step lightly and I am not doing it for a quick an magical fix - I am however, doing it for myself and my family. As far as my MIL, thankfully she doesn't live close and we don't see her often. My husband basically told her if she isnt going to support my journey - she is not welcome on it. I'm thankful to have a good guy by my side.

I did put a complaint in to the HR department, as I sat and thought about it for a few days I only got madder. I don't want anyone to lose their job but someone in that field should understand words/actions have consequences...

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I love everything about your reply. WELL DONE! You are a freaking warrior and hero. I love it!!! Good for you, good for your husband. You are gonna do great on this journey, you are FIERCE.

3 hours ago, mytime4me said:

Sweetie, I had the surgery 1 week ago today and all my fears were unfounded. I was thinking like you. This will be my last BBQ rib ever, last piece of pie, etc. I have small kids too. Now, a week out, I have zero pain, zero nausea. And I'm trying very hard to get enough Fluid and Protein but not yet up to where it should be.

But all that hunger is gone. I can even discuss food with people especially if they don't know, and are talking about the best recipe for X. I can say and mean it, that sounds delish, WITHOUT WANTING IT. This is very new for me. I can see those tv commercials of food wihout wanting to eat them. I shopped for my family ( I'm still weak so the shopping cart was my Walker lol) and had help with carrying the bags, but I bought good food for them and didn't feel deprived like I did shopping o n the pre-op diet.

Hang in there. It's gonna be ok, you will not regret this. It's scarier before the surgery than after.

Today I saw a casual acquaintance who knew I was having this surgery (she is my daughter's camp counselor) and she asked how I was doing and said "Soon we won't recognize you!" And while I laughed, I was thinking, yes, all I look like is fat, I guess, and when the fat is gone, no one will know me.

You know what's funny? I've lived in the same county for 18 years, and even owned a retail shop here about 9 years ago. The shop had a group of regular customers. Right after we went out of business, I became a stay-at -home Mom, and instantly gained 70lbs. For the last 9 years, I've hardly ever gotten the: {"Hey! How are you, long time no see.. miss the shop..."}

But now that I've lost 69 of those pounds, suddenly people are SEEING me! My habits haven't changed, but the weight gain had made me unrecognizable. It'll be really interesting if I again become invisible when I get to goal...