Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4th WLS procedure coming up this week!!! No judgement!

Well I never though I'd say this.........but I'm actually going in for my 4th WLS surgery / procedure this week [emoji15], I'm 3 days away from it on the 21st of July 2017 [emoji106][emoji4]

My weight loss journey so far....back in 2004 I weighed 136kg / 300 pounds and am 182cm / 6ft. My GP in the UK wouldn't approve SAGB on the NHS so I self funded the operation at a hospital in the South of France. Operation went well, weight loss was good, got down to 90kg / 198 pounds.

However, gradually I had more and more complications with the band, slippage and erosion. Weight went up to 116kg / 255 pounds. No matter how much fluids were put in or removed from my band, my restriction was either that tight I couldn't get Water down or too loose so I could eat whatever I liked. I also developed reflux and experienced frequent vomiting.

I had a revision from band to sleeve in the same operation in Australia 3 years ago (2014) got down to 84kg / 144 pounds with the sleeve. My sleeve stretched over a couple of years, partly due to the poor shape of the sleeve due to the damage done by the band (after my operation my surgeon said to me that my stomach was in such bad condition it looked looked "like a dogs Breakfast in there!!") and if I'm honest partly due to me falling off the wagon, eating too much junk food and drinking a serious amount of alcohol, so my weight crept back up to 103kg / 227 pound.

So anyway I finally stumped up the courage to go for the full gastric bypass 1 year ago at a weight of 103kg / 227 pound. Weight loss was great, felt full quickly, no major dumping, no complications / side effects. Got down to 80kg / 176 pound then recently crept back up to 93kg / 205 pound, so now I'm having the Overstitch this week, which I hope will be my final weight loss operation ever this Friday! In hindsight I wish I'd never had the band and sleeve and gone straight for the bypass all those years ago, but still grateful for the overall weight loss to date.

I must have been quite lucky with the operations, I had no infections, significant pain or gas pain, I was waking around the ward on day of the bypass, got 1.5ltr of fluids down me same day and after the TT I was doing laps of the ward on day 2! Only real issue is I've become severely anaemic this week. I'm on Iron tablets and Vit B12 injects.

Now when I was in the mid-80kgs I had a fair bit of excess skin and I think the weight loss and the natural getting older process had made me look older than my years, so I went in for some plastic surgery to get my self sorted out. I had upper and lower blepharoplasty (reduction of loose skin above and below my eyes, liposuction to my neck, 2 separate neck lifts (first one unsatisfactory), liposuction to remaining man boobs, stomach, hips and back. Full abdominoplasty with new belly button. Oh and a complimentary mid-face lift whilst the surgeon was in doing my lower eyes, I actually didn't ask for the mid face lift but my surgeon couldn't resist doing it once he had perfect access to the areas / structures required to hitch up the face a little. I woke up to the unexpected news about the face lift and was thrilled with the results and even happier that is was for free!! I also had a fat transfer, where they sucked some fat out of my abdominal area and had it pumped in the jowls / cheeks / nasolabial folds to fill out my face a little!!! Now I just have a little Botox and some dermal fillers as maintenance to the face. Also had a vampire facelift lol.

And OMG for those of you who have had full tummy tucks, as in skin and muscles, jeez how painful is the recovery from that bad boy!! Worst of all the WLS surgeries I've had and the other cosmetic procedure. You can't sit up, you can't laugh, sneeze, burp, fart, go for number 2's, well that was my experience with the TT recovery although I recovered very well form all of the procedures with no issues at all, thank-fully [emoji106]

The Tummy Tuck for me is what makes me want to stay at around 80kg, any heavier and I feel the skin on my belly stretching because of the tightened skin. I gets quite uncomfortable so I have to get it oI don't want to ruin the effects of the surgery.

All in all the procedure took 3 seperate operations they were 11 hours, 5 hours and 9 hours in duration. After the 11 hour operation I ended up in ICU on a cardiac monitor with a special one to one nurse as I was at risk of an adverse cardiac even due to excessive Fluid loss. The three cosmetic operations cost me over $70k.

Anyway, that's my story in its entirety, I thought I'd share this information with you as I have had so much done and gone through so many procedures, so please feel free to comment and ask me any questions. Thanks John [emoji4][emoji106]

PS: No judgement please lol

No judgment from me! I have just had my 4th WLS as well! I was banded in 2004, had slippage and issues and it was removed in 2005....lost about 30 pounds. Decided to try again with the band about 2 years later. I seemed to have the same issues as you: too tight or if full of liquids my eating was somewhat restricted but could certainly get down junk food! Lost weight, gained weight...up and down over the years....In 2012 did a revision to the sleeve....Lost 30 pounds and that was ALL I ever lost..Even though I could eat very little.....(I have had to self-pay for all of my surgeries)....On May 30, 2017 I did a revision from the Sleeve to Bypass......Have lost only 20 lbs so far....my eating is somewhat restricted but I do have any "dumping issues" so sweets are not a problem even though I have restricted them. I ate a cookie to see how my body would react.....No issues here. So I have to be extremely disciplined with my eating, otherwise I will not lose weight. I eat about 900 calories a day and am exercising 5-6 days a week. I do have a food restriction on how much I can eat at a time and have eaten too much already and it came back up! But I thought my stomach was going to be the size of a walnut after this surgery but I can certainly eat more food than the size of a walnut! Will see how my weight loss journey goes over the next 12 months!!

Different surgeon for each surgery.....

Thanks!

My queston is this, have you had the same Surgeon with all of your WLS? Just curious. Man that is a lot of surgery's. Good Luck, I hope you both get the results that you want!!

I had one surgeon in the South of France then the same surgeon for the sleeve, bypass and for the overstitch planned for Friday.

For the plastic surgery I had the one plastics surgeon also here in Australia.

Why do you ask?

I researched the surgeons extensively and chose only those with a significant history of performing the procedures, who were highly experienced and had excellent reviews / feedback.

I 'also' interviewed several to make sure I had a good feeling about them, I'm a nurse and didn't want a**hole surgeons touching me lol.

Also all procedures were done privately so had to make sure my hard earned money was being well spent :-)

No judgment from me! I have just had my 4th WLS as well! I was banded in 2004, had slippage and issues and it was removed in 2005....lost about 30 pounds. Decided to try again with the band about 2 years later. I seemed to have the same issues as you: too tight or if full of liquids my eating was somewhat restricted but could certainly get down junk food! Lost weight, gained weight...up and down over the years....In 2012 did a revision to the sleeve....Lost 30 pounds and that was ALL I ever lost..Even though I could eat very little.....(I have had to self-pay for all of my surgeries)....On May 30, 2017 I did a revision from the Sleeve to Bypass......Have lost only 20 lbs so far....my eating is somewhat restricted but I do have any "dumping issues" so sweets are not a problem even though I have restricted them. I ate a cookie to see how my body would react.....No issues here. So I have to be extremely disciplined with my eating, otherwise I will not lose weight. I eat about 900 calories a day and am exercising 5-6 days a week. I do have a food restriction on how much I can eat at a time and have eaten too much already and it came back up! But I thought my stomach was going to be the size of a walnut after this surgery but I can certainly eat more food than the size of a walnut! Will see how my weight loss journey goes over the next 12 months!!

Wow thanks for the reply, glad to hear I am not alone!! Our surgical histories are almost identical :-)

Same here with me regarding the amount of food I can eat. For the first couple of months post bypass I could only eat quite small amounts and felt full then gradually I could eat more and more thereafter and didn't feel as full.

I do have dumping though, which I'm pleased about because it stops me eating too much sweet, fatty or carb heavy food. My dumping symptoms are quite mild though, but definitely if I eat too much bad food in one go, my heart races, I feel uncomfortable and a bit lightheaded and then need to lie down for about 30 minutes then it's all good. So it makes me stop eating junk food quite quickly, it has trained me to only have the occasional bit of forbidden foods and not to push it too much lol.

Now just over a year later I can eat over 500ml / 2 cups in one sitting and still feel hungry and can eat more about 30 minutes later.

I didn't thing things would loosen up this quickly, I feel as though my stoma / pouch has enlarged quickly over a year and don't feel as though I have pushed things so much to make it stretch. I have over eaten once or twice and immediately vomited everything up.

To be honest I do find the whole not drinking when eating thing kinda difficult, especially if eating foods which are a little dry, I tend to have a few tiny sips of Water with meals but never anything carbonated. Wouldn't have thought a few sips would make things stretch so much?

Good luck over the next 12 months I hope things work out for you :-)

@sydneyjonno

I'm not judging, you but what is going to be different after this surgery? Do you have a therapist to talk to about your eating? Do you have your metabolism and body composition tested?

You realize even with your over stitch, eventually you will be able to eat more. What is going to stop you from eating more?

Portion Control is supposed to come with weighing and portioning your food before you eat it, not your surgery. I will never know if I can eat 2 cups of food simple because I never put 2 cups of food in front of myself. I eat my doctor recommended portions, 4 to 6 ounces of dense Protein.

You still have to use will power after surgery. You will always be able to graze, nothing is going to stop you from grazing (that is what eating 30 minutes after you have previously eaten is).

I'm not discouraging you or judging you at all, but you could probably benefit from a more comprehensive solution than just surgery. After this you will really be at the end of the road with surgery, unless you have more of your intestine bypassed. What is your solution to your food issues beyond surgery?

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

[mention=322507]sydneyjonno[/mention]
I'm not judging, you but what is going to be different after this surgery? Do you have a therapist to talk to about your eating? Do you have your metabolism and body composition tested?
You realize even with your over stitch, eventually you will be able to eat more. What is going to stop you from eating more?
Portion Control is supposed to come with weighing and portioning your food before you eat it, not your surgery. I will never know if I can eat 2 cups of food simple because I never put 2 cups of food in front of myself. I eat my doctor recommended portions, 4 to 6 ounces of dense Protein.< br> You still have to use will power after surgery. You will always be able to graze, nothing is going to stop you from grazing (that is what eating 30 minutes after you have previously eaten is).
I'm not discouraging you or judging you at all, but you could probably benefit from a more comprehensive solution than just surgery. After this you will really be at the end of the road with surgery, unless you have more of your intestine bypassed. What is your solution to your food issues beyond surgery?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I do realise that this will probably be the end of the road as far as surgery is concerned and I'm pleased about that as I don't want any more surgery.

I have always had problems with portion control and grazing and have been working hard to deal with it, I am pleased at your will power and apparent success at conquering this issue.

For me I am still hungry after eating 2 cups, of course I try not to eat and I swap unhealthy foods for healthy options and choose Proteins first. But it's not always easy, hence most of our decisions to have surgery in the first place.

I have also given up smoking after 25 years of smoking 2 packets a day and no longer drink any alcohol at all. I do have will power but for me it seems that I am gaining weight after an initial reasonable loss with the bypass, so for me my next option, which my surgeon agrees is the Overstitch.

I had also started Saxenda with great initial results, I have only been on it for 2 weeks and am still titrating the dose but have noticed a marked decrease in appetite and have lost 4kg!

Happy days, I am determined to get where I want to be eventually.

Hope everything goes well. I'm here for you. I had a RNY on 5/17/17. That's my only wls. However, I know alot of ppl who had or need revisions. Two whom I'm very close to. I share my wt loss info from my f/u appts. Also, we go to h2o aerobics and the gym.We go @our own pace I don't mind sharing and welcome you and anyone else to join me for aerobics, walks, trips to gym or just an ear to listen.

Most important- Don't give up!

@sydneyjonno

When you eat do you eat dense Protein first, alone by itself then eat your other food if you have room? I find that eating protein alone is very filling. If i eat it with other food it is not as filling and I can eat 2x as much almost.

You could try eating your protein. Then an hour or 2 later eating vegetables.

I very rarely have physical hunger but I had to learn to reach my goals, it is okay to be hungry some of the time.

Good luck

[mention=322507]sydneyjonno[/mention]

When you eat do you eat dense Protein first, alone by itself then eat your other food if you have room? I find that eating protein alone is very filling. If i eat it with other food it is not as filling and I can eat 2x as much almost.
You could try eating your protein. Then an hour or 2 later eating vegetables.
I very rarely have physical hunger but I had to learn to reach my goals, it is okay to be hungry some of the time.

Good luck

Hi, yes I do go for protein first then veggies but what a great idea, fill up on protein then save the veggies for a snack 2 hours later. I will give that a try, thanks [emoji106][emoji4]

I'm having the Overstitch tomorrow so will be nil by mouth from midnight tonight then on liquids for a week. So I'll see how I go.

You should receive no judgement from a support page. You do what you need to do to be a happy healthier you. I have only had 1 sleeve surgery but I have had 3 gastrointestinal surgeries for kinks in my sleeve and want plastic surgery but can't afford it yet. Good luck on your surgery sweety.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank-you Pinky72 and Jellibean88!

So I had my Overstitch, was in theatre for one hour and 20 mins. Woke up with a very slightly bruised lip and a minor sore throat from the scope and zero pain at all. Was prescribed some anti sickness tabs and painkillers but never filled the script because I had no issues at all. Was hard to believe I'd even had anything done, I felt so well.

Have been put on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, so just over one week into it. Had the Overstitch on the 21st of July.

First couple of days it was a struggle to get Water down, but slowly, slowly, sip by sip I got around 800mls down each day, although I didn't really measure, I'm not one for weights and measures to be honest, I just guesstimate, if I feel thirsty I drink more anyway, on day 3 I tried a Protein Shake, that was hard going, managed to drink one, maybe 500ml size over the course of a day. Days four and 5 restriction eased up a bit so was able to comfortably have a Meal Replacement Soup, a shake, cup of tea and a litre of water throughout the day with no real issues.

I started the Saxenda a week before the Overstitch so it's a bit hard to tell if the appetite suppressant I am experiencing is due to the Overstitch or the Saxenda or a mixture of both.

Anyway since the Saxenda and Overstitch I have lost 10kg, which is about 22lb. A couple more KG and I'll be in the 'normal' weight range for the first time ever in my life!!

So happy with everything right now! I am determined to stick to the rules this time, no fizzy drinks, no eating and drinking, Protein first etc. After 4 weight loss procedures over 13 years this is the last chance saloon for me.

Happy that my perseverance has got me down 136kg obese class 3 to almost normal. Anyway, just thought I'd share my story so far for those interested :-)

Thanks,

John.