Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass for less than 100 lbs

Hi all,

I am a newbie on here and this is my first post so thank you in advance to all that reply. I am hoping to get some advice or support on Gastric Bypass. I am 250 lbs and my goal weight is about 150. I have not had my surgery yet but depending on my decision, it will either be scheduled for July 24th or August 9th. I originally scheduled my consult because I was interested in getting the Sleeve with Hernia Repair, but my doctor is recommending that I get the Bypass since I have severe GERD with Barrett's Esophagus. He was especially concerned with the Barrett's diagnosis. So... I was mentally prepared for to move forward with Sleeve, and am now having worries about the Bypass. The bypass seems like a much bigger decision to me especially since I am only trying to loose less than 100 lbs. Its a lot for me, but not a lot compared to many. On top of all this, my insurance wont cover the surgery so I would be paying for this out of pocket. This doubles the cost compared to a Sleeve.

Getting to the point, is bypass worth 100 lbs and are all the sacrifices really as bad as some make it seem to be? possible major life threatening complications, dumping syndrome, Hair loss, no energy, dry skin,.. all this sounds so scary (especially without insurance). Yikes!

I wanted the sleeve but because of acid reflux my Dr would only do bypass. I only needed to lose 80 lbs. I had the bypass October 11th I've lost 55 lbs do far. It got rid of my acid reflux and I don't have dumping but I had a really good doctor. I have lost hair and I've tried the Shampoo it doesn't work for me. Im going to try hair skin nails from it works (I sell it) next ill let you know if it works.

I wanted the sleeve but because of acid reflux my Dr would only do bypass. I only needed to lose 80 lbs. I had the bypass October 11th I've lost 55 lbs do far. It got rid of my acid reflux and I don't have dumping but I had a really good doctor. I have lost hair and I've tried the Shampoo it doesn't work for me. Im going to try hair skin nails from it works (I sell it) next ill let you know if it works.

Try Hairfluence - you can get it on Amazon. Been taking it twice a day for 6 mos now and can see a big difference in my hair, skin and nails!

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello
We have the same story. I'm 215 75-90 lbs I have I planned on getting sleeve bit gerd and barrettes esophagus as well so doctor and all the classes told me bypass so I'm scheduled for surgery 9/18. I'm also worried about losing too much weight. I'm 4'10 I have always been I the think side even when I was 120 lbs but being that small now I just don't think I would look right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you so much for everyone's comments. This forum is really wonderful and I am so glad that I found it. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one in this situation and I am pretty sure I'm going to move forward with getting the procedure. My GERD is so bad (I take prescription Nexium and about 8 Pepcid Complete chewables daily since the Nexium doesn't work) that I alone look forward to not having to deal with that anymore. Also, I am also worried about losing too much weight as I do not want to be super skinny. I have a broad frame so super skinny would not be a good look. My boyfriend told me to remember that it always seems easier to gain weight than it is to lose weight and binge watching my 600 life on TLC tells me that just eating the wrong foods even after bypass can halt weight loss. I figure that just like it taking a commitment to lose the weight, it will also take a commitment to eat enough to stop losing weight.

I've had terrible GERD for years. I too have less than 100 pounds to loose but I have medical complications..( two hernias, one of which was giant along with gastroparesis and more) my doctor told me that the RNY was the best choice for me and that if I didn't lose and keep off the weight my hiatal hernia could return in as little as three months. I am two weeks post op and although it's a struggle, I'm glad I made this choice.

Thanks again everyone. I decided on RNY and surgery is scheduled for Wednesday July 26th. I'll be starting my pre-op diet this Wednesday. I'm extremely nervous, but I think this is the best choice.

I had constant reflux and needed a pill every day for that. As a result of this acid reflux , I got a hiatal hernia. My doctor said I should have the sleeve because the bypass tends to create acid reflux forever. I had the sleeve, and I have not had reflux at all. I am so glad I got the sleeve. I do not have 100 pounds to lose either. I need to lose 80 pounds. The bypass surgery is for people who need to lose 100 pounds or more. Push for the sleeve, and if he resists you, go to a different doctor. This should be YOUR choice. He repaired my hernia too. Thank God!

Edited by LosinItOverHere

Hi Barbara,

New here and just reading through some of the forums. I did not struggle with GERD pre-surgery, but I can speak to the amount of weightloss issue. With RNY your surgeon will decide how much of your small intestine to bypass. They bypass more if you have more to lose. (So in my case they bypassed as much as they felt comfortable with.) If you share you concern of losing too much weight with your surgeon, then he/she can better explain the bypass process and their intentions on bypass length.

Best of luck!

On 7/13/2017 at 9:31 AM, Barbara1972 said:

Thank you so much for everyone's comments. This forum is really wonderful and I am so glad that I found it. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one in this situation and I am pretty sure I'm going to move forward with getting the procedure. My GERD is so bad (I take prescription Nexium and about 8 Pepcid Complete chewables daily since the Nexium doesn't work) that I alone look forward to not having to deal with that anymore. Also, I am also worried about losing too much weight as I do not want to be super skinny. I have a broad frame so super skinny would not be a good look. My boyfriend told me to remember that it always seems easier to gain weight than it is to lose weight and binge watching my 600 life on TLC tells me that just eating the wrong foods even after bypass can halt weight loss. I figure that just like it taking a commitment to lose the weight, it will also take a commitment to eat enough to stop losing weight.

I think you will be happy with the bypass. I too had bad GERD and was talked into the bypass from originally wanting the sleeve. I was taking prevacid every day and popping rolaids like candy. I'm now 16 days post op and absolutely no heartburn or burping. I'm also able to use my old friend Frank's Red Hot hot sauce lol! I wasn't able to use Frank's for years and now I use it every day with no problems.