Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone so my surgery was June 12th and I was losing weight pretty steady and as of this week I've gained 9 pounds and I don't understand why cause all I have each day is my Protein Shake and some meat like turkey or chicken and I can't eat that much when I do so I'm getting really discouraged and depressed is this normal or is there something wrong please help

I'm sorry you are having a rough time.

I had my surgery the same day as you! There is something called the week 3 stall- Google it. Mine was a few days early. Although I didn't gain, I experienced several days where the scale didn't move. Iy will move again, I promise you.

Some people say don't weigh yourself more than once a week (I break that rule and do it every day, but if I go up a pound or two I don't let it devistate me). I've had days I drop 4-5 pounds, followed by days I gain back a pound or two. Keep your eyes on the big picture.

You know darned well that in the long run you are going to lose. You can't be putting much more in your mouth than I or anyone else can, it's inevitable.

Don't forget, you are a woman. We men have it easy when it comes to dropping weight. Sometimes it takes you ladies a bit longer. But don't let that discourage you!

Best of luck and keep your chin up- you made a great decision to have this surgery!

1 hour ago, katie513 said:

Hello everyone so my surgery was June 12th and I was losing weight pretty steady and as of this week I've gained 9 pounds and I don't understand why cause all I have each day is my Protein Shake and some meat like turkey or chicken and I can't eat that much when I do so I'm getting really discouraged and depressed is this normal or is there something wrong please help

Are you retaining Water? Are you on your period? Are you having regular bowel movements?

9 lbs in one week is kind of a big deal if you haven't changed your routine much. I'd monitor my sodium but, to be honest, if you really have kept to your diet you might want to call your surgeon's office and talk to them. That's a lot in one week, I'd start to be concerned another health issue might have arisen.

Gaining 9 pounds in a week either means you went on absolutely insane binge eating 10s of thousands of calories in a week (you're talking realistically 50,000+ calories) or it's something else and not body fat.

Most likely it's Water, glycogen, stool, and something like that. If it continues trending upwards I'd bring an accurate food diary and go see a nutritionist or your surgeon

I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow cause I'm really concerned I keep a food journal and have been sticking on track cause I have other health issues that could really mess up my life if I don't I don't move my bowls every day I'm lucky if I do it twice a week and I've been trying to keep as active as possible only being a month out I can only walk according to my surgeon thank you everyone for your input and kind words I know in the end it will all be worth it but I just don't feel that way right now cause I feel bad most of the time

I came home from the hospital on July 11th weighing 7 lbs more then when I went in. I know it is Water retention and swelling and bloat. I'm not concerned about it. I think it will drop off in a few days.