Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts running through my mind, two weeks to surgery

I have my surgery (roux en y) coming up in a little more than two weeks. More and more thoughts running through my head.

I am excited and scared, but looking forward to coming through surgery. Frustrated in myself, I'm a physician and I should have been able to avoid coming to this point. I want to be able to sit in a coach seat again and travel. I don't want for my prediabetes to turn into diabetes. I'm trying to ignore the 0.9% mortality rate and the 3% major complication rate with the roux en y that my surgeon speaks of. I hope they don't go through my belly button.

Do I really have to be on a diet for four weeks after surgery when other sources say anywhere from 1-3 weeks? Scared of giving myself slack so early after the surgery, going to try and follow everything precisely. Convincing myself that not following directions will make me double over in pain or have some dumping syndrome at a most opportune time. I know I'll miss cake, I wonder what kind of mexican food I can still eat. I feel like it's easy to find recipes for bariatric diets, but hard to know if a recipe is for roux en y vs sleeve vs switch.

Moving about 6 weeks after surgery... that might suck. I have eight doses of hycet for postop, I hope that's enough.

Hi!

i had my surgery at mayo & needed to follow their diatary schedule for six months. it changed frequently for the first 3 months. It didn't matter to me because I did not feel like eating! You must follow your surgeon & Bariactric Dr scheme. If your not ready to be disciplined you may want to wait. It's not easy emotionally & physically but with help of your team you will succeed! At 6 months it was pretty much what I wanted. I'm only 2 1/2. Lbs from my goal. PLUS OFF BP MEDS! My BMI went from 38 to 27!! The rewards are so worth it!

hang in there! Here is a really good information from Tufts Medical Center, Boston.

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

Oops! Just looked T my paperwork & the goal I was given was to lose 77 lbs! Needed to update profile!

The thoughts running threw your mind are totally something that we all went or are going thru!! I had my RNY 4 years ago and I have been at my goal weight of 125#'s for 3 and 1/2 years. I still follow many of the suggestions from my Surgeon. Now I am not perfect and I do have my quirks. LOL But if I didn't follow what I still do I am afraid I wouldn't be on this site. If you follow your guidelines you will sail right on your journey. I will share the particulars of my own journey. HW 249 ( this time I was at 285 but managed to lose some before I started) SW 235 LW 117 CW 125#'s. I have been very successful in my journey. I owe it to my food choices, my exercise which I started right after I was released from the Hospital. I had to stay in a Motel for the 1st week because I was 2 and 1/2 hours from my Dr. I started walking around the Motel as soon as I got settled. Now I have never been one to just learn to do things on a small way!! I like to call it B@@@S to the WALL or 0!! I have learned to manage myself now I don't fall apart because I didn't get to go for my walk. I now have figured out that life doesn't always do what I think it should. It is a learning experience for sure!! I am going to shut up now I get to going and keep on going. You being familar with the Medical side will help you so much!! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to following your journey!! One more thing KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE AND ALSO KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

Thank you both for the wonderful replies. Sherrie, I appreciate your honesty and reassurance. You're at half of your HW, that's wonderful, but it also looks like you've been doing good. Thankfully I have support, parents flying in, lady friend flying in, a friend who is off of work, and another who may take off work as well. Bonus points to you for having to tough out at least for first steps by self.

Marieac2, thank you for your reply as well. Your progress as well is to be lauded, congratulations! I know myself, and I understand that my relationship with food (and drink) is for every social occasion - celebration and eat some cake, sorrow and raise a toast to a lost love one, boredom, etc etc. I feel with the medically supervised weight loss, I've been able to put a dent into that mentality. I feel that my medical knowledge is somewhat ironically my double edged sword: I feel like I can understand what I need to do quickly, but we are trained to nitpick details (example, when my surgeon says something, what are the pros and cons of a recommendations. I can't turn it off, so I choose to ignore it. And FYI, Medicine uses different levels of evidence, as detailed through this link: https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Name/grade-definitions#grade-definitions-after-july-2012 )

Hi focusonthefuture. I can really appreciate what you said in this post about being a physician. I too am a physician and I'm trying to concentrate on the pros versus the cons. My medical training is definitely a double edged sword because I've seen some of the badness that can happen with surgery. I too am about to have a Roux-en-Y in the next week. I hope that your surgery goes well and that you have a speedy recovery.

So what's the update? How are you doing with the bold step? My surgery is in 9 days and your honesty really spoke to me. Thank you.

So what's the update? How are you doing with the bold step? My surgery is in 9 days and your honesty really spoke to me. Thank you.

Driving to surgery now! I feel I've done all I can to prepare both physically and psychologically.

Driving to surgery now! I feel I've done all I can to prepare both physically and psychologically.

Let us know how you do. Best wishes.

Hope everything is going well for you!

On 7/8/2017 at 2:28 PM, focusonthefuture said:

Frustrated in myself, I'm a physician and I should have been able to avoid coming to this point.

this rubs me the wrong way.

are you saying doctors are somehow exempt from the same genetic bad hand, metabolic derangement, or set point issues that the rest of us are? you are indirectly saying "the masses are too stupid to be skinny, but i'm not, so i'm extra disappointed in myself." :rolleyes:

sorry you just now realized that you're as human as the rest of us.

I had my surgery, too and made it home today. Still having some pain, but doing well overall

Had my surgery yesterday. Hoping to go home tomorrow morning. Still some pain but no nausea. Dr. would have me go tonight but I decided to stay until. tomorrow

Fantastic news spindoctor! Rest up and I hope the pain meds keep everything manageable.