Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just might give up caffeine for good

I haven't had caffeine since surgery 5/31. I'm not back to work yet, but otherwise feeling pretty good without it. I used to drink coffee all day long. I also noticed haven't had any palpitations either which probably were related to the caffeine. Prior to surgery, I was told that I could have caffeine at 2 weeks once I was drinking 64 oz of non caffeinated Fluid a day. I was like oh no problem, I'll do that, I need my coffee. Well 5 weeks out and not hitting that goal yet. Curious if anyone gave up caffeine for good. It may be too early yet to know if this will be a permanent change.

I thought I would but at three weeks I had a cup of coffee and I was so so very happy [emoji4]. I was missing my "old friend" food and found the coffee comforting in some weird way. I drink two to three cups a day but that's about what I drank before. If you're ok without it I say stay the course! Especially since you don't want to go back to your old consumption levels.

I'm on week 3 and no caffeine yet. My dietitian did say that if I wanted coffee I could have Decaf coffee.
I'm just not craving any coffee at all. So I'm. It missing it at all, but I am drinking decaf tea. I really enjoy it.

Aka_ET

HW-220
Pre-op 194.3
RNY
SD June 16th 2017
CW-186
GW-140
HT 5' 3"
[emoji120][emoji878][emoji1272]

"You may see me struggle but you will never see me quit"

I am over 9 months post-op and I might have a 20ish oz glass of unsweetened iced tea once a week, if even. I mostly drink Water and Powerade Zero. I was the hugest Diet Coke and caffeine addict pre-op, and I went with no caffeine for 3 months post-op (and I have yet to have anything carbonated). At this point, I like it just like it is. Having that monkey off of my back is very nice!

I am over 9 months post-op and I might have a 20ish oz glass of unsweetened iced tea once a week, if even. I mostly drink Water and Powerade Zero. I was the hugest Diet Coke and caffeine addict pre-op, and I went with no caffeine for 3 months post-op (and I have yet to have anything carbonated). At this point, I like it just like it is. Having that monkey off of my back is very nice!

Is powerade zero salty like Gatorade?

I'm still preop but I gave up caffeine years ago. 2011 to be exact. Haven't had anything but Decaf coffee and Water. I never likey sweet drinks and have had my fill during this 3 week pre op diet. Everything sweet... Blah. But wanted to say I have felt great and never needed it. Id stay of the stuff if you can. As you lose weight natural energy will be all you need. I can't wait. Just this 20lbs I've lost on this preop diet has felt great. Can you imagine when more comes off. Who needs caffeine. GrInS :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

10 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

Is Powerade zero salty like Gatorade?

I don't find it to be. I have one 16 oz glass straight every day. The other two times I have it, I mix it half and half with Water.

I'm 2 months post op and only have a cup occasionally. I was tired of spending the money and having the addiction to caffeine. I enjoy a cup here or there but no frequent or daily use. And wow! It actually works when I do drink it.

I started drinking 1 cup/day with milk about 2.5 weeks out. Nutritionist said no, surgeon said OK. I chose to believe Dr.! I love my morning cup, and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't drink Diet Pepsi (aka nectar of the Goddesses) anymore, nor do I drink coffee multiple times/day at work anymore.

So my consumption of caffeine is way down, but my enjoyment of that one cup is sublime.

Is Powerade zero salty like Gatorade?

Not at all

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 8 weeks out- I have about a half cup a few times a week. The key is you have to drink a couple of glasses of Water for every caffeinated drink you have because caffeine is a diuretic.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 192 GW 135

Just a heads up. My surgeon says anything with caffeine make you put on weight

Why does it ? You dont mean coffee full of cream etc ? A black coffee is near 0 calories so why would it?

Sent from my Swift 2 using BariatricPal mobile app

8 weeks. I drink much coffee than I used to. As it gives Me the shakes. A big bottle of Water before. Then my coffee a big bottle of water after .

Sent from my Swift 2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi :)
They don't want us drinking caffeine because it's a stimulant. It can make you hungrier and eat more - for what it's worth I stopped before surgery and haven't picked it back up just because I'm scared of being hungry- I've had a cup two times though and boy did it work! I was buzzing around like a bee!
Like someone else mentioned, you're going to have so much energy just from the weight loss and the change in diet (less carbs) that you won't even need it- good luck to you!