Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I have AT HOME immediately after surgery

Can some of the experienced members tell me what it's good to have foodwise/medwise at home following my sleeve?

Should I have a good blender? etc etc.....

Any insight would be appreciated.

I never used a blender. It just puts air in your food and makes it thicker, pretty much the exact opposite of what you want post-op.

Food scale

Ready made shakes, sometimes even just shaking a shaker is too much

Good firm pillows to prop yourself up

I over prepared and spent a lot of money on things I didn't use, such as a variety of ice cube trays to freeze broth.

• Your tastes may change after surgery so don't stock up on Protein powders for the long haul because your favorite today may taste gross tomorrow.
  • The first few days will be all about hydration so a good water bottle with ounce markings so you can keep track is important.
  • For the Protein Shakes, I found a Blender Bottle worked well to mix up the powder (and you don't have to wash the blender!). I bought a 3-pack of the 20 ounce size. I found that getting the Protein Shake down was easier when I mixed it 50/50 with water/almond milk. it made it a little creamier and easier to tolerate.
  • chewable or liquid vitamins.
  • If you are on any medications, review sizes with your doctor ahead of time.
  • I was sent home with a prescription painkiller and once that was done, I didn't need any over the counter pain relievers.
  • You need to get up and walk, so make sure you can put your walking shoes on without bending over.
  • A food scale for once you start solids

15 minutes ago, deeveg said:

I over prepared and spent a lot of money on things I didn't use, such as a variety of ice cube trays to freeze broth.

• The first few days will be all about hydration so a good Water bottle with ounce markings so you can keep track is important.

Yes! My Nalgene bottle is my best friend, it never leaves my side. Love being able to sip 2 oz. at a time throughout the day.

Everyone is different so take it for what it is...

SF popsicles, because there will be times when you don;t want to drink or eat but you need to remain hydrated.

Protein Drinks, but don;t overstock as your flavor preferences can change.

SF jello- see the note about the popsicles.

broth of some sort to satisfy your need to feed your body and maintain hydrated.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

i can't begin to explain my gratitude for these posts. That's why I love coming to this site.

An abdominal binder - absolutely essential!!!

Would buy two - one for day and one for night. They really help in keeping your abdominal muscles together after they've been cut from the surgery. They also help to reduce the swelling around the incisions. This means less pain, more mobility and faster recovery. Mine were literally lifesavers and I wore them every day for at least the first month.

Everyone getting surgery should get at least one.

Good luck!!

Just now, NightPilgrim said:

An abdominal binder - absolutely essential!!!

Would buy two - one for day and one for night. They really help in keeping your abdominal muscles together after they've been cut from the surgery. They also help to reduce the swelling around the incisions. This means less pain, more mobility and faster recovery. Mine were literally lifesavers and I wore them every day for at least the first month.

Everyone getting surgery should get at least one.

Good luck!!

would you mind linking like, to Amazon or something so I can see what exactly you're talking about? Thanks...

Sure - there are loads of different types but just to share an example of a decent one with you:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0101RZR7M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Please don't be put off by the fact that it says its for post-pregnancy!! It still really does the job for anyone and is a good example of what to look for - you can get ones specifically for men by typing "abdominal binder for men" into Amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=abdominal+binder+for+men&sprefix=abdominal+binder%2Caps%2C1000&crid=2IX1H9G3OKQLF

1 minute ago, NightPilgrim said:

Sure - there are loads of different types but just to share an example of a decent one with you:

Ahhh okay, I kinda figured that's what it was but wanted to be sure.

So this helps with the healing in your experience?

Definitely!! It was recommended to me by my surgeon whilst I was in hospital, and it was a lifesaver.

Firstly, my abdominal muscles - which had just been cut open - were less painful when i was wearing the binder. It was easier to stand and walk when everything was being held in by the binder. It pulls the muscles in, allowing them to knit together more easily - so you heal faster. If you have a big belly, the weight of it can put pressure on the stitches, which is painful. The binder takes all that away. I was able to do much much more standing and walking when wearing my binder, than without it. I genuinely really noticed the difference.

Secondly, the pressure from the binder prevents Fluid from pooling around your incisions, which can be problematic and require draining (according to my surgeon)

Literally I wore my binders every day for at least a month. I slept in a regular velcro one over a clean t-shirt, and I had more of a "body girdle" for daytime which I wore under my clothes.

3 minutes ago, NightPilgrim said:

Definitely!! It was recommended to me by my surgeon whilst I was in hospital, and it was a lifesaver.

Firstly, my abdominal muscles - which had just been cut open - were less painful when i was wearing the binder. It was easier to stand and walk when everything was being held in by the binder. It pulls the muscles in, allowing them to knit together more easily - so you heal faster. If you have a big belly, the weight of it can put pressure on the stitches, which is painful. The binder takes all that away. I was able to do much much more standing and walking when wearing my binder, than without it. I genuinely really noticed the difference.

Secondly, the pressure from the binder prevents Fluid from pooling around your incisions, which can be problematic and require draining (according to my surgeon)

Literally I wore my binders every day for at least a month. I slept in a regular velcro one over a clean t-shirt, and I had more of a "body girdle" for daytime which I wore under my clothes.

Ok. Yeah, that sounds like me, big belly. I'm a bit of a light weight when it comes to pain so I'll be getting one or two of these I suspect. I mean, the same thing helped when I used it on my knee recently so I get the concept.

I have a foam wedge pillow that has been a blessing. Makes it easier to get up and down into bed since I'm not completely supine. I've liked having the premade premier shakes because from day one I've been able to get 60grams of Protein in by drinking two slowly through the day (I'm currently Six days post op). I personally couldn't put the abdominal binder I got on by myself so I used a small dense pillow or small blanket folded into a small rectangle to support my side. Find loose easy to put on clothes.

HW-292

SW- 256.6

CW-256.6

scale, small 4 oz containers, little spoons, get the Protein samples because what you like now you might later