Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little hopeless and totally lost in the process

Hey guys! I'm from Pennsylvania using BCBS. I am 5'3 and 208 lbs at my first weigh in and my doctor says that my severe asthma qualifies me at the 35%+ bmi range. My PCP is overseeing my weigh in appointments and I'm using the local hospitals surgeon for my sleeve. I'm feeling SO confused and hopeless right now. My PCP says I need 6 months of weigh in appointment to be processed for insurance yet the bariatrics coordinator said BCBS had changed and I only need 3. I have my second weigh in appointment on July 6th, so according to the coordinator.. I'm more than half way done and can have surgery in September when I was anticipating January. I am ready to start this journey as soon as possible but at this point I feel so uninformed and distraught. The bariatrics coordinator didn't have much time to speak with me on the phone and my PCP only schedules me 15 minute windows in their book so I hate to take up his other patients time. The bariatric coordinator said that "the seminar will answer all of your questions" yet, the seminar isn't until July 27th. My "final" weigh in will be the first week of august and then they said they can submit for approval and schedule my surgery. Giving me just one week to process everything and decide which surgery (sleeve, bypass, or band) that I want to go with. I'm overwhelmed. I don't have any tests scheduled. I don't know WHAT tests I need to schedule. I don't know I don't what my insurance covers.. I'm becoming hopeless. My bmi is on the low end so I keep rethinking all of this as if I can do it on my own but I've tried and know that this is what's best for me right now. Can anyone give me a vague rundown on what testing I should likely expect and a time line to have them done? Or a basic rundown of what I should be doing as far as prep 2 months from surgery? I haven't told anyone that I'm pursuing a weigh loss procedure which has been my own choice.. but that leaves me in my current situation of having ZERO support. Not medical or family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Depending on your health, your doctors protocol, and what you've had done recently you'll get an EKG, chest x ray, endoscopy, CBC, and a whole bunch more blood tests, possibly a sleep study if they think sleep apnea is a possibility, ummmm that's all I can think of because I just needed a couple blood tests and an EKG since I see a rheumatologist frequently.

You want to eat well, and work out however much you can. You may or may not get put on a strict liquid diet a few weeks before surgery. Your weight isn't TOO high so maybe not as it's to shrink the liver. My doc just requires liquids the day before like I'm having a colonoscopy.

Study the surgeries. You do NOT want a band. It isn't done by reputable doctors anymore as the side effects can be severe up to and including eroding your stomach, requiring a band to sleeve/bypass surgery. If you don't have GERD you'll want a sleeve. Bypass is generally reserved for the extremely obese or those with reflux. It causes malabsorption and you will never be able to have sugar again or risk explosive diarrhea and vomiting (dumping syndrome). Sleeve doesn't have that complication.

I haven't had surgery, it is scheduled for July 31 but Ive completed all my pre-op requirements so I'm knowledgeable and am here if you have any questions. My mom doesn't support me. She says she supports me but not my decision so I know how you're feeling.

Oh, a reputable program will also have you meet with a therapist for a psych evaluation. Make sure you understand the gravity of the surgery and all that.

Depending on your health, your doctors protocol, and what you've had done recently you'll get an EKG, chest x ray, endoscopy, CBC, and a whole bunch more blood tests, possibly a sleep study if they think sleep apnea is a possibility, ummmm that's all I can think of because I just needed a couple blood tests and an EKG since I see a rheumatologist frequently.

You want to eat well, and work out however much you can. You may or may not get put on a strict liquid diet a few weeks before surgery. Your weight isn't TOO high so maybe not as it's to shrink the liver. My doc just requires liquids the day before like I'm having a colonoscopy.

Study the surgeries. You do NOT want a band. It isn't done by reputable doctors anymore as the side effects can be severe up to and including eroding your stomach, requiring a band to sleeve/bypass surgery. If you don't have GERD you'll want a sleeve. Bypass is generally reserved for the extremely obese or those with reflux. It causes malabsorption and you will never be able to have sugar again or risk explosive diarrhea and vomiting (dumping syndrome). Sleeve doesn't have that complication.

I haven't had surgery, it is scheduled for July 31 but Ive completed all my pre-op requirements so I'm knowledgeable and am here if you have any questions. My mom doesn't support me. She says she supports me but not my decision so I know how you're feeling.

Oh, a reputable program will also have you meet with a therapist for a psych evaluation. Make sure you understand the gravity of the surgery and all that.

Thank you so SO much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No need to worry, BCBS is at the top of insurance companies. They only require three months for the dietician and weigh in's and a psychology evaluation that consist of a easy computerized test that consist of common sense questions like, Do you want to harm yourself? Or are you depressed? I have A date set finally july 25th. A lot of people are going with the sleeve these days. The Seminar is very helpful and it help you make a decision on what type of proceedure to get.

I'm going thru process too. If you have reflux, you will need scoped. If they think you have sleep apnea, you need a sleep study. Otherwise psych consults and nut visit. The program usually knows what you need. I'm also low bmi, i qualify because of my HTN. I get my sleep study results Thursday. My program, which is accredited , won't do lap band. I chose sleeve and surgeon agreed. He will also discuss what he thinks is best for you. I also have doubts, but than i remember why i went to the seminar. My hospital had their coordinator leave, so i got left on my own a bit too.

Forgot, they did do blood test on first consult

Don't worry it will all come together. I have BCBS also. I had psych evaluation at the start. I didn't have any med tests until 2 weeks before surgery. Chest X-ray, blood work. They didn't scope me in advance. Read about surgeries. Watch #askdra online at youtube. He answers every question about sleeve and the differences. Most doctors won't do lap band anymore. Mine only does revisions now. Do sleeve or RNY ; I chose sleeve but I think my loss would have been more with rny. It's still the gold standard but either one takes commitment. Your surgeon should help steer you. The seminar really will answer a lot. Make a list of questions and bring them. Now focus on whatever they tell you. For me it was giving up my bad caffeine habit and learning to eat slower.

Awwww....learning to eat slower has been the hardest change for me...chewing real well till the food is like applesauce is also a hard one. My Nut was on me to slow down every time I saw her and I'm glad she was cuz not chewing well causes great pain...only did that once I'll tell you...OMG! Weird tho...never had to worry about my food getting cold before.

7 hours ago, kimmlu said:

Awwww....learning to eat slower has been the hardest change for me...chewing real well till the food is like applesauce is also a hard one. My Nut was on me to slow down every time I saw her and I'm glad she was cuz not chewing well causes great pain...only did that once I'll tell you...OMG! Weird tho...never had to worry about my food getting cold before.

that will be so hard for me! I eat so fast because i used to not get lunch at work. We all poked fun (good heart'ed) at my husband because he ate so slow chewing thoroughly. I told him his revenge is coming....LOL

just follow your surgeon's process. there are lots of steps. it takes time and that's good. it gives u time to reflect on what, why and how you're eating. all of which will change. i used the time to try to gain some insights into why i would snack late at night, also used the time to come off caffeine, then off caffeine free diet coke. that was huge, actually easier than i thought. i had the sleeve. can't imagine proceeding with the band. ask your program for pros and cons of sleeve vs bypass. i was bmi between 35 and 40. bc bs approved quickly because we discovered co-morbidities during my bariatric program

Congratulations to you. You will most likely need pulmonary clearance for surgery with your severe asthma. I had to have a sleep study done which was the most time consuming part. I had an EGD which my surgeon did and then found out that I had a small hiatal hernia so they were able to repair that at the same time as doing my sleeve. I had to have cardiology clearance bc of a blood clot in the past. I also had to have a psychological eval. I had a pre op class a week befor surgery that was very informative. The monthly nutriton meetings that I went to were very helpful. The dietician was vey knowledgeable about the whole process, the different insurance companies requirements, and what to expect. That really helped. But by having the sleep study and EGD I actually had 2 more co morbidities prior to submitting to the insurance.