Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All: I was told by my psychiatrist that my Cymbalta for anxiety and my Bupropion for depression will not work well or perhaps not at all after surgery. I was alarmed by this.

I know you often can go off of meds like cholesterol, diabetes meds, etc. but these are necessary meds for anxiety disorder, depression, asthma and thyroid replacement therapy.

During your post-op experience have any of your medications stopped working?

Thanks!

I think he depends on the medication. I take Zoloft and had about a year before my surgery. I asked my surgeon about it before my surgery and was told it should be fine after. I believe it's still working. I have noticed others like decongestants that are supposed to last 12 hours don't. They least maybe 6-8 hours.

Maybe talk to your surgeon. I've noticed that a lot of other doctors don't completely understand weight loss surgery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm on Citalopram and haven't had a problem. I did get very depressed a week after but I think that's normal from what I've read.

As far as OTC meds the only thing I've taken has been NyQuil and it hit me way harder than it used to.

I don't know... And here's why.... I've been taken off all of my meds for depression and anxiety because I don't need them anymore. I feel fine. The meds I need are my Migraine meds, I take them as needed. And my sleep meds. It really just depends on that of each person because they're all different.

----------------------------

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 186
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017

"Only those who try will become." ~FFX

Thank you to all of you that replied. I really appreciate your input. Nancy G,

22 hours ago, shericrazylady said:

I had my sleeve done 5days ago I take lexapro and I'm a emotional wreck! I have the feeling of impending doom on me all the time and I just cry. It will get better though

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh my, I'm so sorry. Did the doctor who prescribes lexapro talk to you about this pre op? I'm sure it will get better. Nancy G.

10 hours ago, mike_s said:

I think he depends on the medication. I take Zoloft and had about a year before my surgery. I asked my surgeon about it before my surgery and was told it should be fine after. I believe it's still working. I have noticed others like decongestants that are supposed to last 12 hours don't. They least maybe 6-8 hours.

Maybe talk to your surgeon. I've noticed that a lot of other doctors don't completely understand weight loss surgery.

Hi there. Yes, I am thinking the same thing. Only a bariatric doc would truly understand.

I made an appointment with the PA who works with the surgeon for this Friday. Also, I am needing to lose about 70 lbs. Therefore I was told something about the surgeon not bypassing the intestines as much otherwise I would lose to much weight. Maybe there will be less malabsorption for me.

I will add to this thread after I talk to the doc. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Maxthecat said:

I'm on Citalopram and haven't had a problem. I did get very depressed a week after but I think that's normal from what I've read.

As far as OTC meds the only thing I've taken has been NyQuil and it hit me way harder than it used to.

Do you think that we can get depressed after the bypass because our hormones are changing? Thanks. Nancy G

35 minutes ago, Myaiku_Kuraitani said:

I don't know... And here's why.... I've been taken off all of my meds for depression and anxiety because I don't need them anymore. I feel fine. The meds I need are my Migraine meds, I take them as needed. And my sleep meds. It really just depends on that of each person because they're all different.

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 186
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017

Hi. Do you have any idea as to why your depression and anxiety resolved? Thanks. Nancy G.

Do you think that we can get depressed after the bypass because our hormones are changing? Thanks. Nancy G

Being male, I may not have as many hormones but I did feel depressed and frustrated after surgery but I never once felt I made a mistake about the surgery.

Hi. Do you have any idea as to why your depression and anxiety resolved? Thanks. Nancy G.

I'm not sure why. The last time I did research, it said that the surgery may help with your depression or anxiety. It said something like "the more weight you lose, the more happier and confident you'll become." Which was true about me. I still get anxiety a little bit if I feel like I've eaten too much or have eaten the wrong thing. It varies from person to person. What may happen to one person may not happen to the other.

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 186
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017