Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

My doctor wants me to undergo Bariatric surgery because I'm 5'3" and weigh 289lbs. My BMI is 51 and I have been dieting and exercising all year without any results whatsoever (have not even dropped one pound). I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, diabetes, a thyroid condition, PCOD and ulcerative colitis. All of which my doctor thinks can be helped by weightloss.

Part of the "preparation" I guess you can call it is I have to watch a bunch of videos explaining the different types (band, sleeve and bypass). I was wondering if any one could tell me what kind of success they've had with the different ones, and if possible, share their stories (I know it may be personal, so I won't try to push any one or anything).

I won't lie. I'm a bit anxious about all of this. I have never had any surgery before in my entire life, and this seems like it's a major surgery. But if it will help me get healthier and get some of my medical conditions under control, then I am willing to give it a shot.

Any help would be appreciate, thank you

I had the sleeve five weeks ago. I chose it because it was simpler and the long term weight loss success was very similar to bypass surgery (although I believe bypass patients lose weight at a faster rate). I liked the idea of having no malabsorption and had zero reflux prior to surgery.
The pain of surgery was so minimal for me. Had no gas pains. Sometimes I forget I had surgery and I'm only five weeks out. I've lost 30lbs between preop diet and post surgery. I do suffer from low energy but it's returning slowly.

Are you a binge eater? A grazer? Emotional eater? Getting your head right before surgery is so important. I didn't and am facing it now. I was so focused and scared about surgery that that's all I focused on. I suggest NOT doing that. The real work is after surgery.
I think both bypass and sleeve are great options. The band seems to have a lot of issues ( slipping etc ) my surgeon has stopped doing them all together.

I was banded 5 years ago and it never worked for me. Sure I would feel full for a few minutes, but then the food passed through the band and into my stomach and I was hungry all over again. I am not unique to band failure, there is a reason why many WLS surgeons no longer perform the surgery, it's because it has a horrible success rate.

I converted from a band to a sleeve 5 months ago, and the results have been far better than I ever had with the band. I've lost twice the amount of weight than I ever did with the band, and it has taken care of both diabetes and high blood pressure for me.

Of course there are other WLS options like rny bypass and duodenal switch, both of which have their own merits, but I obviously can't give you first hand knowledge of them.

Yes, WLS is a major surgery, but it is also in many cases a life-changing and in some a life-saving procedure. The final straw in my decision process for deciding to have WLS was the fact I never had trouble losing weight, but always gained it back. I realized I needed help making sure I could lose it and keep it off. It is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

12 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

I had the sleeve five weeks ago. I chose it because it was simpler and the long term weight loss success was very similar to bypass surgery (although I believe bypass patients lose weight at a faster rate). I liked the idea of having no malabsorption and had zero reflux prior to surgery.
The pain of surgery was so minimal for me. Had no gas pains. Sometimes I forget I had surgery and I'm only five weeks out. I've lost 30lbs between preop diet and post surgery. I do suffer from low energy but it's returning slowly.

Are you a binge eater? A grazer? Emotional eater? Getting your head right before surgery is so important. I didn't and am facing it now. I was so focused and scared about surgery that that's all I focused on. I suggest NOT doing that. The real work is after surgery.
I think both bypass and sleeve are great options. The band seems to have a lot of issues ( slipping etc ) my surgeon has stopped doing them all together.

Thankfully I'm not a binge or emotional eater (in fact, if I'm stressed or upset, I have pretty much no appetite. Do you have any suggestions for helping to get my head in the right place?

Isn't the sleeve the one where 80% of the stomach is removed? (Its the procedure the video is talking about now). I'm glad you warned me about the banding, I was considering going with that one, but now i'll ask someone from the medical team I have to see about the slipping issue.

11 minutes ago, Navigating the Wilderness said:

I was banded 5 years ago and it never worked for me. Sure I would feel full for a few minutes, but then the food passed through the band and into my stomach and I was hungry all over again. I am not unique to band failure, there is a reason why many WLS surgeons no longer perform the surgery, it's because it has a horrible success rate.

I converted from a band to a sleeve 5 months ago, and the results have been far better than I ever had with the band. I've lost twice the amount of weight than I ever did with the band, and it has taken care of both diabetes and high blood pressure for me.

Of course there are other WLS options like rny bypass and duodenal switch, both of which have their own merits, but I obviously can't give you first hand knowledge of them.

Yes, WLS is a major surgery, but it is also in many cases a life-changing and in some a life-saving procedure. The final straw in my decision process for deciding to have WLS was the fact I never had trouble losing weight, but always gained it back. I realized I needed help making sure I could lose it and keep it off. It is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

It sounds like both of you believe the sleeve is the better option. I won't lie, the thought of having that much of my stomach removed does make me a little squeamish (lol like I said, never had surgery not even for tonsils, so the thought of parts of me that should be in me being removed is a bit icky to me right now).

The videos I'm having to watch don't cover a duodenal switch (at least I don't think they do. They only mentioned covering 3 types).

Listening to both of your experiences with the band, maybe I won't go with that one. The only 2 things that drew me to it were the fact that it had minimal risks and that nothing was removed.

May I ask how long you were in the hospital for after the sleeve surgery? Thats also a concern for me since I hate being hospitalised. I understand that sometimes it's necessary, but i get very bored in them very quickly >.<

Also, what type of after care did you have to have? Was it difficult to adjust to the sleeve?

And sorry, I do intend to ask as many questions as I can. While yes, these videos are helpful, and I'm sure the doctors will be as well. I feel it's best to speak to those who have actually had the procedure. They can tell me things a doctor wouldn't think about because they are the ones who actually had to deal with it

The band is usually ineffective with PCOS because it doesn't induce the favorable metabolic and biochemical changes needed for weight loss. You'll still be hungry as a PCOS patient with a lap band.

With all of the health issues you have, I'd opt for a sleeve or bypass if I were you.

I was sleeved with longstanding hypothyroidism, insulin resistance and prediabetes. I lost 100+ pounds and have maintained my weight nicely. I was ravenously hungry prior to the sleeve, but now my appetite is under control.

Still, the struggle is lifelong. Once you've been obese, it's incurable. The body will fight long and hard to get back to its highest weight, so good food choices and exercise are imperative.

Good luck to you!

I'm sure you'd find many happy folks who had the bypass too.
How to get in the right head space? Learning how to eat right and actually doing it before surgery. Being really honest with yourself as to how you became overweight. I didn't realize how much I comforted myself with food. I didn't eat when stressed either. I ate to feel warmth and comfort (I'm struggling to articulate this well). When I felt down for any reason I ate and didn't realize it until I couldn't eat. I wasn't in touch with this until after surgery.
Both surgeries are irreversible I believe. Bypass you have a little pouch and while the rest of the stomach isn't removed I believe it's no longer viable. Yes, the sleeve is the one where they cut most of your stomach away.
You definitely need to be sure you want the surgery before you do it.
For me, the lap band was not an option. I hated the idea of having fills and read about too many people who weren't happy with theirs.

Oh, forgot the after care. I had my wife with me every step of the way but many people do it who are single. The first week I definitely needed help. No lifting anything over a gallon of milk. I have a small farm and couldn't have done it alone. I took narcotics for a couple of days and then nothing. Not even Tylenol. It felt like I had done a bunch of crunches. Good wise it was kind of weird to remember I could only eat a few ounces. But I've been VERY fortunate with no issues eating and drinking and taking my Vitamins. There are plenty who have struggled so much more than I have.

2 minutes ago, Introversion said:

The band is usually ineffective with PCOS because it doesn't induce the favorable metabolic and biochemical changes needed for weight loss. You'll still be hungry as a PCOS patient with a lap band.

With all of the health issues you have, I'd opt for a sleeve or bypass if I were you.

I was sleeved with longstanding hypothyroidism, insulin resistance and prediabetes. I lost 100+ pounds and have maintained my weight nicely. I was ravenously hungry prior to the sleeve, but now my appetite is under control.

Still, the struggle is lifelong. Once you've been obese, it's incurable. The body will fight long and hard to get back to its highest weight, so good food choices and exercise are imperative.

Good luck to you!

See, the strange thing for me is,, my thyroid disease is HYPERthyroidism (the one skinny people typically have. I mean, really, why cant I have THAT side effect?)

I try to do as much exercising as I can. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis with no pain medications at this moment (I see a pain management doctor on the 6th).

I'm glad you mentioned that the band is usually ineffective with PCOS, because thats one of the things I want to get under control.

2 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

Oh, forgot the after care. I had my wife with me every step of the way but many people do it who are single. The first week I definitely needed help. No lifting anything over a gallon of milk. I have a small farm and couldn't have done it alone. I took narcotics for a couple of days and then nothing. Not even Tylenol. It felt like I had done a bunch of crunches. Good wise it was kind of weird to remember I could only eat a few ounces. But I've been VERY fortunate with no issues eating and drinking and taking my Vitamins. There are plenty who have struggled so much more than I have.

Don't worry, I understand what you're talking about. It wasn't emotional eating for it, it was more comfort. I have some comfort foods as well (things my grandfather would make for me when I was little).

At this point, I do want the surgery. Naturally I'm scared and anxious about it (I'd assume that's normal for any one having major surgery, especially if it's their very first surgery).

Thankfully I'll have my boyfriend with me through this. We live together so I know he'll be here to help me with things. I've even convinced him to stay at the hospital with me and take the time off of work so I won't be alone after the surgery (I won't lie. It didn't take much convincing at all. He just said it has to be done after New Years so he can use vacation time for it).

Are Vitamins very important to take after the surgery, or is that just a personal choice?

now.thumb.jpg.d37e6f21dea4239e306207c0acdf5ef4.jpg then.thumb.jpg.e9c18dcb97075f08eb262f79c80c53c7.jpg

1 hour ago, skyewolfe said:

Hello,

My doctor wants me to undergo Bariatric surgery because I'm 5'3" and weigh 289lbs. My BMI is 51 and I have been dieting and exercising all year without any results whatsoever (have not even dropped one pound). I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, diabetes, a thyroid condition, PCOD and ulcerative colitis. All of which my doctor thinks can be helped by weightloss.

Part of the "preparation" I guess you can call it is I have to watch a bunch of videos explaining the different types (band, sleeve and bypass). I was wondering if any one could tell me what kind of success they've had with the different ones, and if possible, share their stories (I know it may be personal, so I won't try to push any one or anything).

I won't lie. I'm a bit anxious about all of this. I have never had any surgery before in my entire life, and this seems like it's a major surgery. But if it will help me get healthier and get some of my medical conditions under control, then I am willing to give it a shot.

Any help would be appreciate, thank you

I'm 5'3". High weight April 2016 271.5. Today, 10 months post surgery (8/23/16) I am 173. I have lost 98 pounds in less than a year an people don't recognize me.

I'm 55 years old, work full time, have two teen daughters and a husband. I had the sleeve. I went in the hospital on Tuesday, was home Wednesday and back a work on Monday (I'm a desk jockey.) I was 246.9 at surgery. I have lost more than 70% of my excess weight - which by my practice's standards, I can shift to maintenance now, but I'd like to get close to 150 before I go to maintenance.

Now, I can walk for miles without pain in my knees. Last year around Memorial Day, I couldn't finish the campus tour at the University of Pittsburgh - it was too far, too many hills, too hot. Was at campus last week with my daughter for freshman orientation - parked the car on Wednesday and didn't move it until check out on Friday - walked 5 miles a day and then went to work out in the gym.

Yes, it is major surgery, but it is laparascopic - you will have three or four small incisions in your belly. As compared to the two C-sections I had for my daughters - this was a walk in the park.

Here's what before and after look like for me - the before photo was April 2016. The after photo was about 6 weeks ago - I'm down another few pounds since that photo. I'm your height. You decide.

Edited by Diana_in_Philly
Forgot to attach photos.

Don't worry, I understand what you're talking about. It wasn't emotional eating for it, it was more comfort. I have some comfort foods as well (things my grandfather would make for me when I was little).
At this point, I do want the surgery. Naturally I'm scared and anxious about it (I'd assume that's normal for any one having major surgery, especially if it's their very first surgery).
Thankfully I'll have my boyfriend with me through this. We live together so I know he'll be here to help me with things. I've even convinced him to stay at the hospital with me and take the time off of work so I won't be alone after the surgery (I won't lie. It didn't take much convincing at all. He just said it has to be done after New Years so he can use vacation time for it).
Are Vitamins very important to take after the surgery, or is that just a personal choice?

Yeah, vitamins are not an option for either surgery. And Calcium, Iron, B12. It's a lifelong commitment.

now.thumb.jpg.d37e6f21dea4239e306207c0acdf5ef4.jpg then.thumb.jpg.e9c18dcb97075f08eb262f79c80c53c7.jpg

I'm 5'3". High weight April 2016 271.5. Today, 10 months post surgery (8/23/16) I am 173. I have lost 98 pounds in less than a year an people don't recognize me.

I'm 55 years old, work full time, have two teen daughters and a husband. I had the sleeve. I went in the hospital on Tuesday, was home Wednesday and back a work on Monday (I'm a desk jockey.) I was 246.9 at surgery. I have lost more than 70% of my excess weight - which by my practice's standards, I can shift to maintenance now, but I'd like to get close to 150 before I go to maintenance.

Now, I can walk for miles without pain in my knees. Last year around Memorial Day, I couldn't finish the campus tour at the University of Pittsburgh - it was too far, too many hills, too hot. Was at campus last week with my daughter for freshman orientation - parked the car on Wednesday and didn't move it until check out on Friday - walked 5 miles a day and then went to work out in the gym.

Yes, it is major surgery, but it is laparascopic - you will have three or four small incisions in your belly. As compared to the two C-sections I had for my daughters - this was a walk in the park.

Here's what before and after look like for me - the before photo was April 2016. The after photo was about 6 weeks ago - I'm down another few pounds since that photo. I'm your height. You decide.

Success story!!

3 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

I'm sorry I don't see the pictures.

Yet another success story for the sleeve. You guys are making me feel better about choosing that option actually (which is good since like I'd mentioned, that was the one that scared me the most).

I would like to be able to do at least some of the walking I used to, like you seem to be able to. I know that the pain won't go completely away since there is no cure or anything for fibromyalgia.

Is the one day hospital stay the norm for the sleeve surgery? Or was yours just that well.... good? (feels weird saying it like that).

I'm not too worried about small scares tbh. Several years ago, I had really severe depression and cut myself several times, so my arms are already full of them. I mean, I wouldn't be thrilled if the scar is big and ugly, but well.... You have to take the bad with the good