Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just told i have sleep apnea and i was wondering if this delays my surgery date

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

So you had the sleep study? What happens is the sleep study results are faxed over to your doctor and an order is put in for your cpap. They verfiy your insurance and about 3 weeks you should get a call from the cpap supplier informing you that they have your cpap and they will set up an appointment for you to come in so they can show you how to use your cpap. Depending on how severe your sleep apnea they will order a full mask, or pillow or another type of mask(I forget the name). I have been using my c pap with a full mask for months. In regards to them delaying your surgery because of sleep apnea. The way I was told is when they officially diagnose you with a sleep apnea you must have your c pap machine before surgery. We are required to bring it for our hospital stay. I even had to have mine when they kept me overnight for observation. So, if your sleep apnea is documented they have to order a cpap machine and at least my surgeon states he would not perform surgery unless I had a cpap machine and was using it every night. I was told it helps your lungs along too as well as providing air. Check with your doctor. So, what my doctor stated is that as long as I had my machine I would be fine. Having sleep apnea does not cause a delay. Its a health issue that needs care and thats the cpap machine. They will help with that. Sometimes it takes a lot of calls. My surgery is July 17. I was also told you have to use it at least 4 hours everyday. If not your insurance may stop paying for it. My doctor and nurse said I had to have one or he wouldnt perform my gastric bypass.

Omg thank you for your response. I did all my preop appts but I was told that I have severe sleep apnea. And I did the cpap study. I went up to 12 in the oxygen. I'm sopposed to see the surgent on Monday to get a surgery date but after this idk if I'll get a date [emoji21]

Omg thank you for your response. I did all my preop appts but I was told that I have severe sleep apnea. And I did the cpap study. I went up to 12 in the oxygen. I'm sopposed to see the surgent on Monday to get a surgery date but after this idk if I'll get a date [emoji21]

Im at a 10. So I feel you. So you have your cpap machine? Waiting for it? Where ever you got the order for the sleep study that doctor has to make sure you have your cpap. My pulmonologist ordered my sleep study. Your surgeon usually just gets a fax with your sleep study results from your ordering doctor and also from where ever you had your sleep study.

Sent from my LG-H811 using BariatricPal mobile app

I did my cpap test in ISLEEP. They already sent all my results to my Doctor. I don't have the machine yet and idk who orders the machine for me. Prob my surgent im not sure. Where are u from

I would ask your surgeon when you see him who will be ordering your cpap. Get the number from him if its not him and call them. Make sure you get the number and check on them about your status. If you get a surgery date tell whomever is ordering your cpap your surgery date and stay on top of them. For me I had to call them many times to make sure I knew where I stood in regards to what stage of the process I was at with them. Its some paperwork they have to submit to your insurance company and some office work so I its a good idea to call them. I called once a week for 3 weeks. I live in joliet il

Okay thanks for the advice I will do just that. I see my dr on Monday hopefully I get a surgery date on that day. Do you have a day?

July 3 is when I start my pre op diet. My surgery is July 17

Before my RNY gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago, my snoring at night would keep my wife up all night long. After surgery, I would sometimes wake up to find my wife hovering over me. I was sleeping so quietly, that my wife was trying to detect if there were any signs of life left in me or if I was dead.

So the surgery can dramatically reduce the effects of sleep apnea or even put it in remission. In my case this happened within 30 days after surgery.

Before my RNY gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago, my snoring at night would keep my wife up all night long. After surgery, I would sometimes wake up to find my wife hovering over me. I was sleeping so quietly, that my wife was trying to detect if there were any signs of life left in me or if I was dead.

So the surgery can dramatically reduce the effects of sleep apnea or even put it in remission. In my case this happened within 30 days after surgery.

Thats great to hear!! This sleep apnea & having the c pap with a full mask can kind of be a drag. Its a blessing to have such a machine to help with the sleep apnea but it will be a bigger blessing when I wont need it & have no sleep apnea. Its great to hear how gastric bypass surgery can benefit us in many different ways.

Hi.. I am new here.. like a few hours new. . Wow. the advice that

BgR72

• gave you was spot on with what is going on with me. I had my sleep study back in may and i just got my cpap machine last week. My surgeon said its fine i just have to have it with me in surgery, and i also need to just have a consultation with a pulmonologist before surgery.I Am at a 10 also. My surgery center also has stated that if you do have a Cpap machine , even if your regular settings are higher than 10. it needs to be set to 10 for surgery. Good Luck!! :)

Hi.. I am new here.. like a few hours new. . Wow. the advice that

BgR72

• gave you was spot on with what is going on with me. I had my sleep study back in may and i just got my cpap machine last week. My surgeon said its fine i just have to have it with me in surgery, and i also need to just have a consultation with a pulmonologist before surgery.I Am at a 10 also. My surgery center also has stated that if you do have a Cpap machine , even if your regular settings are higher than 10. it needs to be set to 10 for surgery. Good Luck!! [emoji4]

Welcome to the forum! Thanks. This site has been a blessing to me. All the information everyone gives in detail has been so helpful. We are here to help. Good luck to you too. Keep us updated