Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

food and water together??

HI ALL,

Happy New Year! I have a dumb question...I'm new. Is it true you arent suppose to eat and drink at the same time. No one told me this.... please help.

Staci

Orlando FL

Banded 12-14-04 TJ Mexico

"Well behaved women rarely make history"

Yup. It's true. Your doctor didn't distribute literature or tell you?

Here is a list of band rules. maybe that will help. :)

In order to have the best possible result, the patient should obey the following rules:

Eat three small meals per day.

Eat only good solid food.

Eat slowly, sense fullness and then stop.

There must be no eating between meals.

Take no liquids with the meals.

All liquids must be zero calories.

Stop eating when your stomach is full. If you reach a satiety sense with a quantity of food lower than prescribed, do not attempt to introduce more food. If the quantity of food prescribed does not cause satiety or if you feel hungry a short time after a meal (one hour), contact the medical team to evaluate a possible LAP-BAND System adjustment.

Eat slowly with very protracted chewing.

Do not eat sweets or soft foods with a high caloric content. Banding cannot control the introduction of such foods.

Avoid foods and drugs with gastric side effects. Reduce coffee consumption. No alcohol. No carbonated drinks or cola.

Do not drink and eat at the same time. Do not drink for at least two hours after eating

If I eat and drink at the same time--it HURTS!--and then I pb. My doctor told me that the Fluid puts pressure on the food/band. Stopped me fast from drinking and eating!

My doctor's timetable is to wait for 45 minutes after eating to drink anything. It's usually considered okay to drink right up to eating or only leave 15 minutes before.

I try to wait at least an hour after eating. Some, like Leatha, have been told 2 hours. The important thing is to be sure you pouch has emptied and your nerves have told your brain that you are full. ;)

I think this is THE most important guideline to follow. It's how the band works. Some of us :guess drink with our meals only when we want to eat more -- and it hurts. Not a good way to treat the band!

Thanks for all the responses. I eat and drink together all the time with no problem and never had a PB yet. Maybe they forgot to put the band in???? ;)

Staci

Staci, the purpose of not drinking w/eating is so your food will stay in your pouch and make you feel "full" longer so you'll eat less and lose weight.

Staci... are you restricted at all with eating? Have you had a fill yet? You may find that when you have restriction... drinking while eating may lead to the problems discussed above... at the very least you will find that you eat bigger quantities and are hungry sooner than you would have been without drinking with or after your meal.

I have been breaking the drinking with meals rule... and I paid the price with a whomping 6 lb gain... so... I'm back to following the rules. ;)

Darcy