Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm wondering if there are other clergy folk on this list (rabbi, minister, pastor, imam, priest, etc). I feel that there are some specific challenges I am facing wls while being the spiritual leader of my community. I'm thinking of everything from how much to disclose when I take time off, to dramatic weight-loss in the public eye, to handling the (inevitable) inappropriate remarks and "suggestions", to putting the whole journey into a more spiritual, God-forward, framework.

The truth isn't "God-forward" enough?

As clergy, or rather, in a general sense, as someone who is trying to be a role model for others, it seems more logical to be honest and forthcoming, if you're trying to tailor your experience to others.

What I'm referring to is using the language of my faith and tradition to talk about my decision and experience.

My previous pastor was morbidly obese. He was a great spiritual leader, but his weight did limit his activity and therefore his ability to participate in some functions. I believe most of our church family would have supported him if he had chosen to have WLS. There will always be those that are negative and it can be hard because they always seem to be the loudest voices.

I think you should be honest with your congregation if you feel comfortable doing so. It is a personal decision that only you can make. i don't see anything wrong with keeping it to yourself either if that is what you decide.

I believe God has called us to be whole, spiritually, mentally, and physically. Having WLS should be a great tool to lead others in the church on a WHOLISTIC journey for their health. Obviously, it'll be to each person's convictions and preference whether they accept it for you or themselves, but overall, if this brings you peace and health in your personal life, then I do think you should share in some way with your congregation as well. Why keep the good God has given you to yourself? That's an awesome testimony! But hey, in your own time too, unless He tells your otherwise.

I have told numerous church family members that I had it. I've had nothing but support from them; but my church is probably one of the MOST LOVING churches ever! Lol. A few have more questions too, for their own journeys. One had her's before me, she gave me even more confidence in going forth. So, if you decide to share, you just might be helping others as well. 😉

Edited by Newme17

I'm not a clergy (my dad is), but I'm super-involved in my church, and their excitement at my progress each Sunday when they see me again has been a big boost. If I were you I'd be honest about the reasons for your time off, and about your new habits. If your church is like mine, food is a big part of social events, so it might help to explain why you're not eating lots of casseroles and Desserts anymore.

I also choose to present my surgery as a blessing from God, in that it helps me work around my health issues, and that it's helping me prolong my life so I can serve Him longer. You could also point out to the congregation how much more active you'll be able to be as you lose weight, and healthier. You may still get occasional rude comments, but it's really none of their business, is it? :-)

Not clergy, just involved deeply. Our sr pastor recently stepped down due to some underlying sin that our elders were trying to council through. When they informed the congregation, they claimed to want to be transparent however the explanation given lead to rumors. They came forward the next week and cleared up the details further without going into too much discussion on the topic nor sharing exact details. The outcome was better, but we lost a lot of our congregation (that happens when people follow a man and not God).
I share because I feel there is a way to explain this without giving your life details over to a group of recovering humans. ;)
I have shared with everyone that I have undergone a needed (for me) surgery which will, in Gods calling, lead to better health. If my pastor went on a sabbatical to rest and heal in order to come back stronger for God, there would be only celebrations for that.
It's my firm belief that just because you are a man of God, that does not mean that you have to share every detail of your life with other people. It just means that you walk in the faith, lead by example, and teach the truth. Do you share every time you have sex with your wife? No. Because there are intimate facts of our life that we hold dear just between ourselves and our God.
So tell the congregation that your on a mission of health in order to minister more deeply with them, ridding yourself of the sin of addiction to food (if that's what you have), and you look forward to leading the church toward both spiritual health via teaching and physical health via example when you return.

HW: 328 (02/17/17)
SW: 271 (05/24/17)
CW: 253

Nhope,

I am not clergy, however I am a spiritual believer. I am also a community leader that is almost 8 months post gastric bypass surgery. When I woke up in recovery, I knew then that God was not done with me.

Prior to surgery, I had decided I was going to private and reserved about thisnjourney. However, something changed along the way. I decided to accept my journey. Own every ounce of this reality.

As you decide to own your journey towards improved health, I believe that God will give you the words to speak to move others.

Religious texts are wide reaching in the subject of life transformation. You will find your voice. Keep reflecting and praying. No man or woman is on an island all alone.

This journey has impacted others around me in many ways.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, hope this thread will continue. B.Annie, fyi--I am female, so it's more accurate to say "Woman of God." I think the difference between talking about sex and talking about weight loss is that there is more social permission to talk about the latter. No one has ever said to me: Have you had sex lately? You look great!

But I do appreciate your input. I will certainly need to find a balance in what I feel comfortable saying and what I don't. While I would characterize my congregation as being very loving and supportive, sometimes what gets said out of love can be painful. Case in point: one of the people I chose to confide in at this point responded by saying; "That's not good news for me. I don't want to be the heaviest person in the congregation." Does this person support me? Yes. Did this person say something insensitive because of her own issues? Again, yes.

These comments will not stop. I've heard I'm jealous, I need to have your diet, etc. The reality is your change will more than likely spur others to make necessary changes as well.

Most of us can only respond with respect to how it impacts us.

This is not a secret nor something to be ashamed. You can't hide 100lb or more weight loss. I've lost 200+ in 8 months and people struggle to recognize me. We have to take it all in stride and know that we are perfecting Gods Temple to do His Will.

Reality is that you will change your life and because of the changes you make it will positively change many others. As a leader you will need to request special dietary needs, which will more than likely improve the nutrition of others.

God is using you to move his people. Example my wife now orders food the same way as me. My team at work is more conscious of choices and as a mentor I give better advice about managing work life balance.

One thing I really love about our Pastor is how he shows us he is just like us. He has weight issues just like us. He gets road rage just like us. His kids can be brats, just like ours. Etc.

He is a sinner saved by God's grace, just like us. To me, it makes him so much more relevant and we love our church.

But your business is your business and you should be able to keep info private if you choose.

Could you bring some healthy ideas to your congregation? I saw a running for God program, and did a Bod for God (weight loss competition) , and Body and soul (fitness program). Slightly off topic, but it could help you in your new lifestyle.

God bless!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app