Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there folks!
I am so very glad to have found this forum.

Please forgive my naivety, or if I'm going about posting here in the wrong way, I'm just very glad to have found such a great resource.

I've just started this journey (requesting a referral from my PCP & having a phone interview), but I'm a bit unsure which procedure is best for me.

Any insights, between DS & Roux en Y?
Also, any recommendations for reference books?
What have most people found helpful?

Thank you so much!

I'm pretty much a newbie, but I'd find a doctor you like/trust and see what he/she recommends for procedure. There are pluses and minuses to all, I think, and reasons some are better for your individual situation.

There is a ton of information on this site--just keep reading and looking around and you'll find all kinds of links. I've learned a lot just reading about people's experiences.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Marie1987 said:

Hi there folks!
I am so very glad to have found this forum.

Please forgive my naivety, or if I'm going about posting here in the wrong way, I'm just very glad to have found such a great resource.

I've just started this journey (requesting a referral from my PCP & having a phone interview), but I'm a bit unsure which procedure is best for me.

Any insights, between DS & Roux en Y?
Also, any recommendations for reference books?
What have most people found helpful?

Thank you so much!

Hello and welcome!

First, you will need to go to a free seminar about WLS(weight loss surgery). Your PCP should be able to refer you to a bariatric doctor. Once you have a WLS doctor, you can call them and find out about the seminar and go to it. At the seminar you can ask about the different types of surgery available and any other questions you have.

I don't know about the DS, but I'm scheduled for the RNY gastric bypass on 6/21/17. I got a book from the store on here. There are iBooks about the different versions of surgery. You can also do your own research on line. The more you educate yourself about these surgeries, the better off you'll be when it comes time to choose.

This site is great. You can search subjects to read about most things WLS. Ask questions. Everyone here is going to know how you feel and understand your situation.

Good luck!

Hello and welcome!
First, you will need to go to a free seminar about WLS(weight loss surgery). Your PCP should be able to refer you to a bariatric doctor. Once you have a WLS doctor, you can call them and find out about the seminar and go to it. At the seminar you can ask about the different types of surgery available and any other questions you have.
I don't know about the DS, but I'm scheduled for the RNY gastric bypass on 6/21/17. I got a book from the store on here. There are iBooks about the different versions of surgery. You can also do your own research on line. The more you educate yourself about these surgeries, the better off you'll be when it comes time to choose.
This site is great. You can search subjects to read about most things WLS. Ask questions. Everyone here is going to know how you feel and understand your situation.
Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I too am confused about these 2 procedures, when I met my doctor he said the RNY would be better for me, but I didn't k ow about the DS then, because i have to travel to another country where surgery will take place, so I have met doc only once and keep in touch via email, but I am scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks, but from what I read DS has far greater risks then RNY

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you all for your responses!
I really appreciate all of the information!

I've taken part in the free WLS seminar, I've spoken to my primary care provider, & I've started looking on Amazon for some resources (books/journals/ect.).

So far, these are the books that I've got in my shopping cart:
"Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook: Healthy recipes to enjoy favorite foods after weight-loss surgery."- Sarah Kent MS RDN CD
"Gastric Bypass meal plans & Cookbook."- Monika Shah
"Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies."- Marina S. Kurian

& a set
"The Breakthrough Journal"- Beth Bianca
"Mindset Breakthrough: Achieve Weight-loss Surgery Success."- Beth Bianca

Has anyone read any of these?
Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks SO very much! I feel like there is SUCH a learning curve & I'm just getting started! :)

IMG_5042.JPG
I enjoyed this one.

Michelle Pre-op revision band to bypass
Starting weight 275
Healthy BMI 154.

Thank you all for your responses!
I really appreciate all of the information!
I've taken part in the free WLS seminar, I've spoken to my primary care provider, & I've started looking on Amazon for some resources (books/journals/ect.).

So far, these are the books that I've got in my shopping cart:
"Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook: Healthy recipes to enjoy favorite foods after weight-loss surgery."- Sarah Kent MS RDN CD
"Gastric Bypass meal plans & Cookbook."- Monika Shah
"Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies."- Marina S. Kurian

& a set
"The Breakthrough Journal"- Beth Bianca
"Mindset Breakthrough: Achieve Weight-loss Surgery Success."- Beth Bianca

Has anyone read any of these?
Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks SO very much! I feel like there is SUCH a learning curve & I'm just getting started!

Watch YouTube videos...especially fighting 400.....he's very informative and inspiring

I've enjoyed chemistry queen on youtube

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19

Watch YouTube videos...especially fighting 400.....he's very informative and inspiring

Just started watching him... thanks!!

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19

Hello and welcome!
Good luck!

My surgery is June 21st also!

Thank you ALL for the support & the MARVELOUS recommendations!!!

I have my first meeting with a surgeon on Tuesday!
(It seems to be FLYING by!)

I can't properly express my appreciation for this marvelous group of people.
Your support is absolutely the best thing I've ever encountered. :)