Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi y'all,

I'm seven weeks out on this rollercoaster. Its had its highs and its lows! I wanted to share some of my personal experiences so far, in case it is of help to anyone.

To start off: I'm around 50% of the way to goal after 7 weeks and numerous inches lost. Which is amazing! But please bear in mind that I was a low BMI patient so I expect to lose slowly as I'm starting off nearer goal than many. I hope that I can make goal, but I know it will be hard work!

It has been hard work so far! Sometimes I kinda miss eating whatever I want all the time, but my overarching emotion is RELIEF that I am freed from the tyranny of overeating and feeling like I need huge portions to be satisfied.

The first month out was tough. While in the hospital, I did experience some pain from the surgical gas, and nausea. But it passed. I walked as much as possible. Best advice anyone gave me in the hospital? In those very early days, "don't trust a fart!". Lol, but she was right. Just putting it out there ;) Once out of the hospital, my incisions (internal an external) did hurt for almost a month - an abdominal binder was a lifesaver. I had a wrap around one for sleeping and a corset like one for under clothes. It hurt to cough, sneeze or laugh. But now they do not hurt any more! Many others (those who have had c-sections for example) didn't find the incision pain that bad, clearly they are more hardcore than me 😉

Days 5-10 after surgery were the worst. I was 'hungry' and sick of broth, jealous of others food. I was still a little in pain and liquid tylenol made me sick. I was mad grouchy and tired from lack of calories. I didn't do much expect sleep and walk a little. I was back at work but working from home. Don't think I was at my most productive 😉 I worked from home for about 2 weeks after surgery, and felt like I needed it. I also experienced some back pain which I think is muscles shifting from weight loss. It feels better now my body is catching up with my weight loss.

I didn't feel any restriction really until I was on solid foods. I was worried about it! And now I feel that restriction with a vengeance! I still get hungry. I feel like I am hungry every 2.5 hours! So I eat pretty regularly. Until recently I was eating a lot of 'protein products' like the Protein pudding and Veg Chili from bariatric pal but felt I should move on to more dense solids to help me be more satisfied.

As per the instructions of my surgeon, I moved onto solids around day 30. Initially, I had to struggle to eat 800 calories. The NUT said she wanted me on 1000 calories by 5 weeks. Now more appetite has kicked in - I could probably eat this relatively easily depending on what food I choose!! And thats a bit scary. So I am being extremely diligent in weighing all my portions and counting calories on MFP. This surgery does not release you from that! Well, for me anyway. I am scared about being on 1000 calories as it has slowed my weight loss down, but I want to be healthy and not screw up my metabolism, so I do what I can to eat a balanced diet at 900- 1000 calories and drink plenty of Water. I havent been exercising more than walking to date, but now that I feel healed and am on higher calories, I will kick it into gear with strength training to tone.

Stalls are a thing. Also I've seen the scale go up. It has gone back down again afterwards, so I try not to be too shocked by that and do not let that discourage me. I don't know the solution for stalls, but Im trying tweaking calories, water and exercise to see about kicking myself out the stall.

I have experienced some acid reflux, which I never had before. Which is a bit of a bummer. I get it to varying degrees after I eat and sometimes when I drink. Should I go to the doctor for this? Tums and Gaviscon don't seem to do much. I have read that acid can make you think you are hungry, and I wonder if thats whats causing my 'hollow' feelings at the moment...? I got to around 1350 calories the other day thanks to some cheese and a cupcake. Most calories I have eaten in a LONG while. First sugar I have had since pre-surgery. I was annoyed with myself, but it isn't the end of the world. It could be that, time of the month, or I am just a damn hungry person!! Given these hungry feelings I do have to employ my willpower not to graze constantly.

One method of doing this is drinking water. So you aren't allowed to drink and eat at the same time. I've found that hard!! Its like a Pavlovian response for me...I am preparing a meal, and I get thirsty. I am super thirsty after I finish the meal, but know I have to wait an hour to drink. (Sometimes I cheat and have a sugar free ice pop after eating as it staves off the thirst). But I make a conscious effort to drink between meals. So when that 'hungry' feeling comes, I go first to drinking water before I snack. That then prohibits me from snacking for an hour!!

My eyes are bigger than my belly. Literally. I have recently been invited over to friends houses for dinner and didnt weigh my portion like I usually do. I also introduced some new foods which I hadnt tried yet - sweetcorn and broccoli. I must have eaten too quickly because DAMN i felt soooo uncomfortable for at least 2 hours afterwards, like I had swallowed a bowling ball. I got the crazy hiccups and was bringing up tons of foam and saliva. It was not pleasant. This has happened a few times since I've been on solids. Obviously I need to work harder at slowing down my eating which was always a problem for me pre-surgery too.

Mentally I'm feeling pretty good. I am happy with the weight I have lost so far and already feel soooo much more confident. I don't hide from pictures or shy away from meeting new people. I havent been drinking alcohol yet so probably get a bit more bored when socializing, but the results make it worthwhile.

So this is my experience so far. Wish me luck for getting the next 50% of my weight off! I have a feeling its going to be slow going. But as long as its going, its good!

Critique my meal plan! (this is mostly what I eat, with variations...sometimes I'll have 1oz ezekiel Cereal and milk for Breakfast, sometimes a bit of fruit...dependent on whats around. Some days I can eat all of this and some days, bits will be left from each meal)

Breakfast at home 7am

1/2 Premier Protein shake

At work 9am

1 whole egg

2oz low fat cottage cheese

Snack 11am

2oz deli turkey wafer

1x 2% cheese stick

Lunch 1pm

2.5 - 3 oz Salmon/fish fillet (have been eating bariatric pal veg chilli entree for the last few weeks but trying to move off that)

1oz Green Beans

Snack 4pm

2.7oz tuna

1oz avocado / 1oz light cottage cheese / 1oz light cream cheese

After work 6pm

1/2 premier Protein Shake

Dinner 8pm

2.5-3oz chicken

1oz Spinach

MAYBE 1oz beans sometimes or 1oz roasted sweet potato

Snack 9/ 10pm

1x 4oz greek yogurt

maybe 1x sugar free popsicle

Drinking: 64oz calorie free liquids: water, herbal (caffine free) tea eg mint, arnica, chamomile, crystal light

Exercise: 40 mins walking a day

Thanks so much.... never trust a fart! [emoji12] good one :)

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19