Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post-Eating After Surgery

Hi All. My wife just had her VGS 5/17/17 and mine isn't until 8/31/17. I know we all have our diets that we are supposed to follow after surgery but my wife is a stubborn rule breaker! I worry that she will hurt herself internally but know that all Doctors diets are different. She is basically eating regular food, although only a few bites, and is now wondering what the repercussions could be. Does anyone out there have any experience with eating too soon or is she okay as long as it isn't hurting her? Thank you in advance for all your answers :)

Sorry I can't relate, I'm a rule follower especially when it come to this surgery stuff. I don't know what the repercussions are, maybe dumping or maybe the labs might show that she's not following the rules and doctor might chew her out? That's what I'm worried about since I'm scared s**t of my doctor. lol

The repercussions might be she is going to learn the hard way and I hope you don't follow in her footsteps...

I, too, am a rule follower. Your wife is taking a serious risk eating unauthorized foods that maybe detremential to her health!! If she's already doing her own thing, this surgery will not be successful in helping her lose the weight. This is only a tool to give us a jumpstart. If she doesn't follow the rules, she will be back where she started.

I pray she gets it together. Also, I recommend YOU call the doctor to get "real" medical advice. We are here only to support each other. We cannot help with your wife's food addictions or whatever issues causing her to take such a big risk.

GOD BLESS & GOOD LUCK.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

The repercussions might be she is going to learn the hard way and I hope you don't follow in her footsteps...

What is the hard way? Will she ruin her weight-loss progress or hurt her insides? And no, I don't plan on doing the same thing, I'm too much of a scaredy to deviate from the plan I have....

What is the hard way? Will she ruin her weight-loss progress or hurt her insides? And no, I don't plan on doing the same thing, I'm too much of a scaredy to deviate from the plan I have....

The hard way is the fact of not letting her stomach fully heal...I don't know what foods she's indulging in but if they set up the format of an eating plan in a particular order it's for a reason...that reason is healing and not damaging the work they did. My first question I wanted to ask but didn't cuz I felt it would be harsh was if she's a rule breaker and out the gate broke the rules....why have the surgery? I really am not trying to be rude...

It takes months for the stomach to heal, and since it is inside the body and can't be seen, that makes the situation your wife is in even more dangerous. This isn't about weight loss; this is about life or death. Seriously, why would she do this to herself? Please do whatever you can do to make her stop.

First, I'm wondering if she's hungry. I had my operation last week and haven't been hungry yet. Please encourage your sweetie to follow the rules, otherwise she'll damage her insides, fail to see results and everything will be in vain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using BariatricPal mobile app

I think she could halt any weight loss and probably tear her pouch. The rules are there for a reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using BariatricPal mobile app

When you say "regular food" could you give examples. An egg is a lot different than a hamburger. I ask because I've seen people on soft food as soon as a week out. I'd think she would have pain if nothing else. Does she experience any pain after eating?

You were vague about what she is actually eating, regular foods encompasses everything.. I would be concerned about causing complications as well as sabotaging any chance that she will benefit from the surgery and lose weight.

Is she meeting her Protein and Water goals? Is she at the very least choosing healthy foods? I think you need to discuss this with her doctor or nut.