Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with Kaiser

So I am a little frustrated with Kaiser at the moment. My original appointment was back on April 5th. My Doctor was completely supportive and very kind. He told me to go to the Orientation class the following Monday April 10th to start my wl journey and so I did. I drove the hour and a half to the Corona Kaiser straight after work and was very excited to get the ball rolling.

When I got there they told me I couldn't stay and that I had been assigned a different orientation that was actually another 2 weeks away. What!?! Why had no one told me?! [emoji30] Unfortunately I was set to be out of town that week. So they sent me home and told me to call the next day and reschedule.

When I called at 10am the following morning the only class available was 5 weeks out on May 15th. [emoji34]Unhappily I took it.

It has now been 3 weeks since orientation and I have yet to hear from them on a start date for the 12 week options program. I called this afternoon to see if there was any info I could get as to a time line and was told that I probably won't be getting a call until JULY [emoji631] with a date to start classes and those classes might not start until August.

I work for a school district and am hoping to get the surgery done during Christmas break.I fear at this rate I'll stay fat forever! Or at least until next Christmas [emoji319]

Can anyone validate either my frustration or Kaiser's wacky time line?

Thanks so much! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hang in there! I'm with Kaiser too. I had my orientation in January and started Options at Panorama City in February. My Options classes ended the last week of April. For me, the orientation, Option classes, and tests during the 12 week program was all very efficient.

Everything post-Options has been very slow and frustrating. I just met with the surgeon this week! And, he told me his surgeries are being scheduled two months out!! I haven't heard from the surgery scheduler yet. Surgeon told me to call her next week and the nurse said I won't hear from her for a couple weeks.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:07 AM, monica91355 said:

Hang in there! I'm with Kaiser too. I had my orientation in January and started Options at Panorama City in February. My Options classes ended the last week of April. For me, the orientation, Option classes, and tests during the 12 week program was all very efficient.

Everything post-Options has been very slow and frustrating. I just met with the surgeon this week! And, he told me his surgeries are being scheduled two months out!! I haven't heard from the surgery scheduler yet. Surgeon told me to call her next week and the nurse said I won't hear from her for a couple weeks.

Yikes the surgeon is booked out two months :( that scares me. I'm also Kaiser but Colorado. I've heard from what I've been able to get from them, had to be on CPAP machine for a couple of weeks, 6-8 weeks of classes (including nutrionalist, and psych eval) so in my head even though I haven't heard from them, classes all of July and into August, then surgery sometime in August/September??? I actually JUST wrote to the doctor to tell them, how much my body is hurting and that this needs to get done NOW. So waiting to hear. I pray I don't have to wait till end of the year for this.

Yikes the surgeon is booked out two months [emoji20] that scares me. I'm also Kaiser but Colorado. I've heard from what I've been able to get from them, had to be on CPAP machine for a couple of weeks, 6-8 weeks of classes (including nutrionalist, and psych eval) so in my head even though I haven't heard from them, classes all of July and into August, then surgery sometime in August/September??? I actually JUST wrote to the doctor to tell them, how much my body is hurting and that this needs to get done NOW. So waiting to hear. I pray I don't have to wait till end of the year for this.

Always ask to be put on the cancellation list. They had me scheduled for surgery for August 1 then I called back the next day and they were able to schedule my surgery for June 22nd, which is about 3 weeks after I saw the surgeon.

I love the idea of the cancellation list. Never would have thought of that. Great tip.

Yikes the surgeon is booked out two months [emoji20] that scares me. I'm also Kaiser but Colorado. I've heard from what I've been able to get from them, had to be on CPAP machine for a couple of weeks, 6-8 weeks of classes (including nutrionalist, and psych eval) so in my head even though I haven't heard from them, classes all of July and into August, then surgery sometime in August/September??? I actually JUST wrote to the doctor to tell them, how much my body is hurting and that this needs to get done NOW. So waiting to hear. I pray I don't have to wait till end of the year for this.

I'm also Kaiser CO. I have my surgery booked July 6. I can tell you right now you won't be August. After your last class is done (and you see the psych again, but this is typically done during your last week), you'll wait a week or two to get a call to schedule your consult. That is typically scheduled a week out. Once you see the surgeon, they give you your date. Which surgeon you see may impact your wait time. I got Rahem and my surgery was scheduled 9 weeks out. Others in my class had the new guy, Johnson and got in earlier. Who knows, by the time you finish it may all equalize. I'd plan on surgery being 6-8 weeks after your consult, so 7-10 weeks after your last class.

Oh..and if you are an ex smoker, plan on taking another nicotine test after classes are complete that will add 2-3 weeks to the process.

Let me know if you have any questions though. I realize I sound like I'm raining on your hopes...but as someone who just went through the frustration, I want to help really!

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh no, this is good information. I know I have been consulting with Dr and they have said it would be Bolanaski (not sure I spelled that right). But trying to get the ok from her. Never have smoked a day in my life so wont need to worry about that.

How were the classes? Did you have to go to Rock Creek or Downtown. Are they every week, on line?

I'm with Fresno Ca Kaiser. I started my process in August and had surgery on Feb. 9th. It's a process. Takes time. Trust me I know how anxious you are to get the surgery. My Kaiser has an 85% 5 yr. post-op success rate of maintaining weight loss. All the hoops they require you to jump through is building a foundation for your best results.
That said. Some goid advice I got that helped me jump thru the hoops. When you go in for your orientation you will be weighed. That will be your "Offical start weight" unless you have been regularly weighed at your Primary doctor's office for the last six months ( I think that was our length). For me I was right at the cusp of meeting requirements to be eligible. So I was told not to lose any weight until after my Offical weigh in. Most patients are required to lose X amount before surgery.
Start keeping a food journal. Be honest!! Weigh and measure when you can. I use myfittnesspal app. Start working on achieving 60 grams protien and 64 Fluid ounces of non carbonated drinks daily. If you drink soda start to ween yourself off of them. Start practicing nothing to drink 1/2 hr before during and after meals. Start doing some form of movement and logging it. I started with a 15 minute walk 2 times daily. After you have your Offical weigh in, start working on losing weight. Whatever you lose from that moment on counts. I was required to lose 15%. I reached that rather quickly (luckily). You will not be approved for surgery until you reach this goal weight and you must not be over that weight on day of surgery. I was told if you are you will not get surgery.
All things I've mentioned above were requirements that my Kaiser required before surgery. By starting now you are establishing your new way to healthier you and showing your bariatric team that you are serious and motivated for surgery and being successful at weight loss.
It's a wild ride but so worth it. Good luck to you

Oh wow, thank you. ALL good info. Yeah, from what I've found out, only that one weigh in also too for us. I'm at 202 right now, ugh (hate it and it hurts), but maintaining it for this reason. I also have My Fitness App, and a couple of others. Water, very easy for me. I've been trying to not drink while eating, that's a hard one. Is this so that you don't get full on liquids, and get full on the actual food then? I use to walk five miles a day. I love the Leslie Sanson walking videos, and have a bunch, also got a Bellcon trampoline last year that I totally wasn't prepared for, LOL.

Yes drinking fluids fills up your tiny tummy. Drinking during and within half hour after a meal flushes the food you just ate through your tummy. My hubby bought me a smart watch for X-Men. It's been an awesome tool in helping me Keep track of time.

So I have kaiser Fremont Ca Bariatric surgery center, I did the orientation did the class with the dietician met with the surgeon he said I need to loose 15lbs they said I need to call a number which is to leave a msg as to how much I've lost and what form of excerise I've been doing! Then when I'm 5lbs from goal I'm to call and meet with Phyc having a hard time loosing any weight but I trying I really want this 15lbs doesn't sound like much but it is hard

Oh wow, thank you. ALL good info. Yeah, from what I've found out, only that one weigh in also too for us. I'm at 202 right now, ugh (hate it and it hurts), but maintaining it for this reason. I also have My Fitness App, and a couple of others. Water, very easy for me. I've been trying to not drink while eating, that's a hard one. Is this so that you don't get full on liquids, and get full on the actual food then? I use to walk five miles a day. I love the Leslie Sanson walking videos, and have a bunch, also got a Bellcon trampoline last year that I totally wasn't prepared for, LOL.

Heads up, Colorado does not require you to lose weight. You weigh in the first class and are told not to gain weight. If you do, the surgeon may not take you. They weigh you again on your last class and day of surgery. A woman from my class told me on the day of surgery the woman before her weighed in 2 lbs heavier and they cancelled her surgery.

California is stricter than Colorado.

On 6/21/2017 at 6:08 PM, kimberb said:

Yes drinking fluids fills up your tiny tummy. Drinking during and within half hour after a meal flushes the food you just ate through your tummy. My hubby bought me a smart watch for X-Men. It's been an awesome tool in helping me Keep track of time.

THat makes a lot more sense now. Thank you.

10 hours ago, sabrina14339 said:

Heads up, Colorado does not require you to lose weight. You weigh in the first class and are told not to gain weight. If you do, the surgeon may not take you. They weigh you again on your last class and day of surgery. A woman from my class told me on the day of surgery the woman before her weighed in 2 lbs heavier and they cancelled her surgery.

California is stricter than Colorado.

That's interesting because I've talked to several people in that department and they said they do require us to loose on liquid for at least two weeks before surgery. But will find out more once everything actually starts.

That's interesting because I've talked to several people in that department and they said they do require us to loose on liquid for at least two weeks before surgery. But will find out more once everything actually starts.

That's different. I'm talking about during class. Two weeks before surgery you go on a semi liquid liver shrinking diet. I was never told I had to lose weight but the expectation is, if you do it, you will lose something. I imagine not losing would be a sign that you didn't complete it.