Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Idaho, here I come

I live in SE ID 9 months out of the year while I attend ISU. I haven't been banded yet, but I am scheduled for mid-March. Talk about your different kind of March Madness!

I will be getting my band done in Kirkland WA at Evergreen Hospital. I'm not sure where I will be getting my fills done however. I do know that my Dr. has been meeting with some Dr.s in Salt Lake, so I might go there, or just go back home to WA to have them done.

Anyway, I'll be heading back to ISU and classes in a couple of days.

Cheers!

How come you went to Washington to be banded when there are 2 doctors doing it in Boise? Just curious. I have lots of questions about things I've read on here. I'm most concerned with a couple. Someone wrote and said they had chest and shoulder pain after the surgery. That would scare me to death as I've had bypass surgery. Why would gas cause shoulder pain? I could understand the stomach and chest, but can't relate to shoulder pain as not being something to worry about.

Also, what is the "sweet spot" that everyone refers to?

Do the fills hurt? Where is your port. I talked to someone with the port in her sternum. Don't most people have it in their lower stomach? Does it hurt and can you feel it? How ofter do you have to have fills. Is the surgery ever right the first time without fills? Why isn't it done like gastric bypass. You are given a one-time, one-size pouch and there are never any fills, although the surgery is definitely more risky and not for me. Why do they make it so you need fills?

Can you take medicine after your surgery. Can you only eat soft foots and drink for awhile? I'm sure some of these questions will be addressed at the seminar but I don't see them bringing up the bad aspects. They will be promoting the good things, and I see there are many.

I guess I've bothered you with enough questions for now.

I went to Washington because I was self pay and it was 7,000 cheaper and the doctor had done a lot more bands. He did the field trials for the FDA in the mid 90's. And the after care was much better than in Boise.

Gas pain is from the gas they use during surgery to make more room inside you to see. not to worry it is totally normal.

Sweet spot is when you get the right amount of fill to give you good restriction.

I have had 2 fills so far and they did not hurt. Just a little ping and done. My port is on the left side across from my belly btton. I can feel it if I hold my hand over it other wise I do not know it is there. The purpose of the band is so it can be adjusted for each individual. No it is not filled during surgery, that is why it is called adjustable gastric band.

Depends on the meds but yes you can take medicine, pills have to be small or crushed. You will be on liquids and then pureed and mushies for a while to help healing and then on to food. If they do not bring up the pros and cons ASK..if they still do not answer to your satisfaction...........find another doctor!

Search this board for answers to your questions also. Email me if you have more questions.

I went to the seminar held here in Boise by the two surgeons that do lap banding. They are new and have only done 105 bands. That worries me. I would like to go to Portland and have it done, but I have to go there to attend another seminar; go to see the dr.; go back for the surgery; and go back for fills. That is quite a bit of expense flying around and going to an area I'm unfamiliar with.

I wasn't crazy about either of these surgeons here in Idaho for some reason....

Not sure what the next step should be. Any suggestions?

I know in Portland that Medicare does pay this dr., but here in Boise I have to have the surgery before I find out if they will pay this one. That's a big if to look at. The dr. in Portland specializes mostly in Medicare patients. Her name is Emma...oh I forget. Doesn't matter...just seeking advise. I wonder why they just won't count the seminar I attended here.

Each seminar is different. It is geared toward that particular surgeon and their requirements. It also gives you the opportunity to question that surgeon on his/her pre-op, post-op and any additional requirements and also you can learn about the after care provided.

Welcome to LBT 1978tigger. It is nice to see more from Idaho. I am in Burley. Good luck on your surgery and let us know how you are doing. Where are you having your surgery and who is your doctor?

Guest Dukelard

Hi Im James from Nampa Idaho. Im scheduled to have the surgery Dec 5th. My Doctor is Doctor Cahan. Im not nervous yet. but will be soon Im sure. Does anyone know of a support group in the treasure Valley?

Guest Dukelard

I thought the seminar that Dr Cahan and Dr Anderson did that I attended in march of this year was very informative and detailed. They seem to be very strict about your post weight loss and making sure after the surgery that you see them quite often to make sure every thing is going well. I did not feel any misgivings about them but I did lean towards Dr Cahan.