Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I feel the restriction?

I'm still on full liquids for 1 more day. Tomorrow I start mushy foods. I have to admit that I'm getting a little worried about restriction -- or lack of. I can easily eat 1/2 cup of creamy Soup (I pre-measure and don't go back for more though). There is no full feeling. I'm hoping that it's because the food is liquid, but of course I'm worried that I'm not in tune with my sleeve and I'm missing my "full" feeling and that I'll be overeating when I get to solids.

When did you first realize you had restriction?

I definitely feel more full eating things like eggs, puréed fish, and chicken. Liquids tend to go right through my sleeve.

I've been told restriction wasn't felt till people eat dense foods. I too can get liquids down like it's nothing so I was a bit concerned.

By the time you are on chewable foods.

The first soft/mushy food I had was a scrambled egg. I had about three bites and I was full. Even now, 9 months out - two eggs is my limit. At first, I could only eat a few bites of anything that had to be chewed. Believe me, you will feel it.

I felt the same way at first but then when I started chewing food I knew for sure my sleeve was working.

Completely normal! liquids go straight through my sleeve. Even well chewed foods don't give too much restriction. Eat mindfully and stick to the portion sizes recommended by your dr. Most of what you will feel for the first 4 month or so (some people, the rest of their life!) is not hunger.. it is in your head! Mentally I want to eat more because I'm stubborn and think I should be able to eat a normal size portion of food, but I can't and I don't need to!

Banded 2010. Sleeved Dec 2016
130 lbs lost

Liquids go straight through the sleeve. There is a pyloric valve that the liquids pass through. With food it's different.

I'm not on solids yet but it's normal to not feel full on Clear Liquids and minimal fullness on full liquid (if at all) and fullness on food.

This is why they ask us to not drink liquids 30-60 minutes before or after we eat. Because the food doesn't just pass through the pyloric valve, any liquid after stays in the stomach as a result and can cause major upset.

Some docs say you can drink and eat together, but minimal liquid with teeny bites. I won't risk it.