Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I'm feeling so negative about my band!

And towards my dr! On my initial visit, the dr said I would get the smaller size band, but then gave me the 10cc and didn't even tell me until a few weeks AFTER surgery. When my DH and I attended the initial seminar that this dr and his partner held, we were told that the price included 18 months of free follow up and fills. Now that I have the band, the dr decided that fills should be done at the hosp under flouro (for which I am glad), but I feel like my insurance and my wallet (I have to pay a portion) are being milked for all they can get and I STILL don't have restriction after 2 fills. Now that the new year is here, I will have to pay my deductibles all over again. What happened to free???? This really makes me angry...And it certainly doesn't help that the coordinator I have to speak to when I call my dr's office always seems to give me attitude. It's all I can do not to just go off on her!!!!

My stomach NEVER says stop!!! I have had 2 fills, 1cc each, and still can't tell I have a band. I spoke to my dr regarding being more aggressive with my fills, I told him that I have heard of several other people who have the 10cc band and got 3 to 4cc's on the first fill. He said that's just too much and then started quoting "nationwide results" to me. My first fill was 1cc and after my conversation with him, he said my second fill would be 1cc as well. When I got to the hosp and saw his orders, it said .5cc! I blew a gasket and called his office and demanded that those orders be changed to 1cc, which was done. He just won't listen to me!!! How can I make this man understand that I need restriction and I need it NOW! If I got this kind of result out of a product that I purchased, I would either take it back for a full refund or contact the BBB. Who do you contact regarding medical services? This wheel is ready to start squeaking, BIG TIME!

I'm gaining weight and will very soon need to buy bigger clothes. How do you follow bandster rules when you have no restriction? 1/4 cup or this or 1/2 cup of that just doesn't work for me. I will not diet. Period. Diets have never worked for me and I will not go down that miserable road again.

I am going to call the dr office again on Monday to ask for another fill. God only knows what it's going to cost me this time....

Sorry for the vent, but I'm so upset that this band isn't working for me. I go into tears every time I think about it.

At my doctor's seminar there were printed handouts. If your doc did this too maybe he put the offer in writing. If he did it'll be easier to hold him to it. If not, contact the other people in the group who heard the offer.

Doctors are businesses too, no matter what they claim. They must follow ethical business practices.

Don't know what you should do about the fills. My doc gave me a 3cc fill and I have the 10cc band. He did it under fluoro, and got the first fill in before the end of the year so I won't have to pay deductible on that one, anyway.

You might try calling Inamed directly and voicing your concerns. Also most states have an office of Licensing and Registration, or some such name (they differ from state to state) you could call and voice your concerns on your doctor renegging on a deal. You could also give your state Ombudsman a call, as well as your State Representatives office. They can be quite helpful. You can even call the Attorney General's office to see if his practice was fraudulent.

You can fight if you want to. Just use the free government resources at your command.

Good luck.

I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your Doctor. Maybe you could email Don at Inamed and have him send you something in writing to take to your doctor. Maybe you could print off some of the other posts that tells how much fill the other people got and show your doctor. I have the small band and got 1.5cc the first fill and I am not restricted either, however, I had an appointment to have one yesterday and had to cancel. That is a very large band for your size, and it is definately going to take a larger fill for you. Good Luck!

Blossom,

I have the Swedish Band that also holds 10 or 11cc's. My first fill was 5cc's. I was a bit worried that it would be too much, but I was filled under flouro and Dr. Rodriguez said that I was tight, but not too tight at 5cc's. Well my restriction didn't last long, so a month later I got another fill. This time it was only 1.44cc's but it did the trick. So I'm filled to 6.44cc's and fill that my restriction level is perfect.

I don't understand doctors that use flouro but use a "standard" fill schedule and volume. Why use flouro then? Everyone is different, shouldn't a doctor use the flouro to see how much is going through the band then make his decision about fill amount based on that? During my first fill, Dr. Rod kept adding some, then had me drink barrium, then added more ect... then eventually he took some out because he saw that I was filled too much. That's the beauty of flouro in my opinion.

I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time, I would be just as frustrated as you are about having to pay for fills and having your doctor not fill you enough.

I would also call Inamed, maybe they have some recommendations for you.

Hang in there!!

Tricia

You are exactly right, Tricia. Flouro is meant to be able to SEE how tight you can get and still allow the barium to pass through. Scheduled increments have no place using flouro. What a waste!

Who is your Dr. Blossom? You definitely have every right to remind them that they said all aftercare including fills were covered and now you're being put through flouro for no good reason.

Personally, I love flouro because they normally close you off completely, then back off enough so that they can see the barium goes through. If he's telling this guy how much to put in, he's basically just shirking the job himself. After all, it's more cost effective for him to be drumming up new patients than wasting his time giving fills.

I think you should definitely raise hell. The larger band definitely does take more to find restriction and you are very small to begin with. It makes sense that you'd need more to feel anything. I wish you luck in resolving this. But, Blossom, don't get discouraged about the band itself. This problem is human error and greed - no fault of the actual product. It works when used properly. I feel for you. :)

I'm so sorry that you're having such a time. You do already have your band and it's not going anywhere. Now, let's get that dr. to fine tune it for you! Hang in there!

Im so sorry for what you are having to go through.... I havent had my band or even seen anyone about it but I can only Imagine what you are going thourgh I really hope everything works out for you.. Please keep us informed!!

Take Care (((((((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))))))))

Blossom, I would demand a appt/meeting with the Dr. I would tell him exactly what you've told us and that you want your free fills, unless there's an indication there's a problem with the band, I don't see where you'd need fluro everytime.

My doc said he was filling w/ 1cc on Jan 10, then another on Feb 10. When I asked about the fluro, he said, just a waste unless there's a problem, just an added expense. I get a year of fills, not 12 or 6, but a year of what ever it takes.

I would ask him why he used the 10 after he told you he would be using the smaller one, there must be a reason, but is it a valid reason?

As for his office help, either put them in their place or ask for the office manager and don't hold back! You paid for better service and you deserve the service and attention....just my opinion.

I'd be in somebody's face like flies on do-do. Doctors or their staff do not intimidate me, I'm footing the bill and I will be treated with respect or I will be making complaints with the medical board.

Stay out of the kitchen and get in that doctor's face! You've worked too hard to have a major setback. Good Luck!

Blossom, this is just a thought..

Have you ever considered going to Mexico for a fill? I do not know where you live but . Mexican Doctors all do theirs under fluoro and a much much more aggressive in their fills, the do not follow any national protocol, that is why they use the flouro so they can see each individuals restriction level. I have had good restriction with both my fills it was in August that I had my last fill and lost over 30lbs with it...I know you say money is an issue but in the long run it would be worth it, since you will be eating less food at less money, you will not need to buy bigger clothes which is less moneythe stress level of it all and the obsession of all of this.. etc..etc..American Doctors have to protect their butts per say, even in Dr. Ortiz's book it touches on how American doctors are so conservative with their fills, they like to creep up on the sweet spot where as Mexican Doctors like to hit the sweet spot sooner. Mexican doctors will see any patient banded anywhere. There are many of us here who went to Mexico as a matter of fact I am going to be scheduling my 3rd fill in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz ..I need one desperately!!

Like I said it is just a thought

Michelle, you must live pretty close to Mexico. Do you drive or fly, I've never even been close, wouldn't know where to start. I may consider Mexico after my year of free fills. You've done very well, congratulations on your loss.

Thanks, ya'll! I feel better just having your input!!! I fully intend to get in my drs face on these issues. I plan to hit him with my plan of action if he doesn't get his ass in gear and get me some restriction. Michelle, you hit the nail right on the head! My dh works for a major airline, so I fly free. If my current dr doesn't stand up to his end of the bargain, then I will go to Mexico for my fills. I am just giving my dr here another chance before I do that, though. I currently live about 5 blocks from the hosp in one direction and about 8 blocks from the drs office in the other direction. It would be so convenient if I could just get it done properly...

blossom: Thanks for posting this , because I have not yet been banded and I had no idea that the band had different sizes. I always thought that the fills only determined how restricted you are. This will deffinetly be something me and my Dr. will talk about before hand. Thanks. I hope every thing works out for you.

Blossom I was banded in Monterrey Mx and found several docs that will do fills near me, it's just a question of price.

I have a swedish band simular to yours. It took me 3 fills durning the first few months to feel restriction (5.7cc's total) I'm looking into having another fill soon.

I believe the new larger band you have is better then the smaller one. Once you get that restriction everything will start working like it should.

Pat I live an hour and a half from TJ, and the local Dr. in my area is an hour and a half away also so I chose aftercare in Mexico with my Band surgeon...I like the fact he uses flouro and does my fills according to what he is seeing under the flouro. I have a friend who flys here from PA who is banded and stays with me and we just drive down together. It is cheaper then what her local Dr. charges her and Mexican Dr's are much more aggressive on their fills...Blossom take charge and demand more fill, it is your band and your body only you know what level of restriction you are feeling, it has nothing to do with how much you have in you, everyone is so different. 2cc's for me may be too much or too little for someone else.. ..

About Mexican drs.... If I went to Mexico for fills and later on had a problem with my band and needed to see a dr here in the states, would I be able to find one that would see me and would my insurance cover any of the costs? I'm thinking probably not. This is something to consider...

I have an appointment to see my dr at 930 on Wednesday. I gotta get my ammunition ready!