Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I'm about 3 1/2 weeks post-surgery (sleeved on 4/26) and I wanted to share with you all some resources I've found helpful in tackling this part of the journey.

Apps/Websites

Labdoor.com (Free) - "Labdoor is an independent company that tests supplements. We find out whether products have what they claim and if any harmful ingredients or contaminants are present. Then, we grade and rank those products, write reports, and publish that information for free, so consumers can confidently buy the best supplements for their health." My surgeon and medical team has me on a daily Multivitamin, B-complex supplement, Probiotics, Calcium + Vitamin D, Iron, and a Protein Drink. I used Labdoor to find the best ones for me. ***The top Protein was Muscle Feast whey Protein Supplement so I bought it and I recommend it. The flavor is really mild, like a watered down chocolate milk. It mixes really well in my Blender Bottle, and there's no added sugar. Thumbs up!

Amazon Subscribe & Save (Prime) - All those supplements are expensive, so I use the subscribe & save feature on Amazon to get the 15% off and the supplements get delivered every other month. It still kind of costs an arm and a leg, but if you already have Prime it's really worth it to get the extra 15% savings, plus then you don't have to worry about running out because it ships automatically. My "mini-pharmacy" (as my boyfriend and I lovingly call it) is set to arrive tomorrow.

MyFitnessPal Premium - I used the free version of MyFitnessPal for the year leading up to my surgery and it was great. I decided to go with premium after surgery since there are such specific needs with grams of protein and carbs and stuff. The main difference (for me) with the free vs. paid is that I can set more personalized goals (ex: 70 grams protein, less than 50 grams of carbs) and track the nutrients I actually care about; carbs, protein, fat, sugar and nutrients/vitamins. It also allows you to change the names of meals in your diary so instead of using Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I use blocks of time like 7AM - 9AM, 9AM - 11AM, 11 AM - 1PM, etc. Since I don't eat traditional meals/snacks yet, this works much better for me.

Glow App (Free) - A period/fertility app. At my highest weight(s) I stopped menstruating as the result of my weight and my form of birth control (Nexplanon Implant). I would still experience some PMS symptoms but not menstrual Fluid, so I had no idea what to expect with my cycle post-surgery. Since my period did return (just one week after surgery) I wanted to be able to properly track it and Glow has been fantastic. It's easy to use, the app is attractive, you can set it to "avoiding pregnancy", "trying to conceive", and "pregnant/nursing". It gives you helpful insights based on your unique circumstances, like if you have Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome for instance. It also syncs up with MyFitnessPal which sends your weight data - this has been great for me because back in the day, I would consistently gain about 2 pounds of Water weight right before my period which gives me a warning it may be coming.

Gadgets

Garmin Index Smart scale - First off, I'm a total nerd for data. I love charts and statistics and graphs. BUT, I hate calculating those things myself. I really enjoy math, but those things are usually just a bit above my level of ability. So, I really love things that figure the data out for me. So this scale measures weight, body fat, BMI, bone mass, lean muscle mass, and hydration. I find the weight, body fat and hydration most useful. It reports automatically to the Garmin Connect app via Bluetooth or wifi, and I sync that directly into MyFitnessPal. You can set up multiple profiles, so it recognizes individual users. I have a profile for myself and my boyfriend (and also my cat because he likes to sit on it).

Garmin VivoFit - A more affordable version of the Fitbit that syncs up with the Index Smart Scale perfectly. The reason I chose this activity tracker is because it syncs with the scale and MyFitnessPal and I don't need any of the more advanced features that other trackers come with. I love that it gives you a little warning light and beep after being inactive for too long which is a good reminder to get up and away from my desk and take a short walk. I also like that it sets walking goals for each day based on my habits. The app that collects the data from both the tracker and scale is great and easy to use, it even measures my sleep!

HydroSpark water bottle - This hasn't arrived yet because it's on back order but I saw an ad for it on Facebook and wanted to give it a try :) It's a water bottle that measures your daily water intake and can report it to MyFitnessPal. Like I said, I love data but I'm terrible at recording it myself, so I like that it's automatic. Really the water was the only missing piece of my health tracking puzzle, so I'm excited to see how it works out.

Supplements

***Note, these are what I picked based on my individual needs and Labdoor ranking information. I'm a 27 year old woman without other major health concerns except anemia. Your needs will likely differ, this is just a quick look at what works for me.

1. Citracal with Calcium D Slow Release 1200

2. Garden of Life Vitamin B Complex (Vegan)

3. Garden of Life Whole food Probiotic Supplement - Primal Defense ULTRA

4. Garden of Life Multivitamin for Women (Vegetarian)

5. Celebrate Iron+C (Chewable - Mandarin Orange)

6. Metamucil Fiber Capsules

7. Muscle Feast Hormone Free Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate 2lb

I hope you find at least one thing that's helpful to you. I'm a research fanatic, so if you have any questions about other stuff - please ask! I may have already looked into it and can share at least a little insight :)