Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been wanting the surgery for years, dreaming about it, going through every possible avenue to get financing, waiting for the right time when work and parenting would allow it. Now that everything has come together and my date is scheduled for less than a month I am getting sooooo scared! Please tell me this is normal for doubts to spring up just before surgery!

Hello

It is so normal to feel scared. I was scared to the point just before I went into Surgury. I almost said no. What helped me was to stay and focus on all the positive things that would happen after Surgury. Being around positive people is so important. Keep speaking to yourself positive things and be around supportive people. You will be ok. Trust me it's normal and many of us have felt that way. A lot of great health and great things will all come together. 😉😀

25 minutes ago, asantiago said:

Hello

It is so normal to feel scared. I was scared to the point just before I went into Surgury. I almost said no. What helped me was to stay and focus on all the positive things that would happen after Surgury. Being around positive people is so important. Keep speaking to yourself positive things and be around supportive people. You will be ok. Trust me it's normal and many of us have felt that way. A lot of great health and great things will all come together. 😉😀

Thank you for saying this. I'm really starting to freak myself out over this.

Don't think to much or you will get sick. It will be ok. When you start thinking and getting anxious, breathe deep in and out and say to yourself you gonna be ok. I would have regretted if I would have cancell my Surgury. I went through a lot but I feel so much better and so will you. We are all here to support one another. You are not alone. 😉

Being scared is very normal.

Since you are at the beginning of this process, I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Literally all I can say is don't think too much about it. I would have panic attacks thinking about the surgery and on my surgery date I just .. forced myself to think about it differently (my mom had RNY along with other painful surgeries n she said it was the easiest thing, just thinking about my loved ones who underwent surgery and made it out helped so much lmao) and less. Also it might help to ask questions / step by step on the procedure even if you know it all, hearing my surgeon talk so confidently about it eased my fears of an incompetent surgeon.
Anyway i wish you the best and a smooth recovery ❣️[emoji261]

My surgery is Friday and I am almost totally freaked. I am confident that I will lose the weight. My biggest concern is that I will be miserable afterwards. I will miss eating alot or feel like a freak for not eating. My sister had a sleeve and she said both of those are not issues after you get used to it.

Still freaking.

Ed

Yes it's normal to feel nervous. Any surgery is a big deal, especially because this one changes your life forever. I won't lie and say there aren't foods that I miss, but now at 7 months I can pretty much eat any healthy thing I want and small bits of things like chocolate from time to time. It's hands down the best thing I've ever done for myself. My quality of life has improved dramatically. The arthritis in my knees and back is so much better. Since I waited so long to do the RNY, I won't ever be running or jumping again but just being able to walk more than 10 feet pain free is game changer.

Ion schedule for May 31 and some days I'm driving to work in the morning and start to get teary eyed because I'm so scared. I think it's a natural reaction to surgery. ButI think about how much better I'll feel with some weight off.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

completely normal - and I know I made a very similar post a couple days before my surgery! Just keep reminding yourself why you made the decision to do this. Make a list of what you are looking forward to doing and what you are looking forward to NOT dealing with after you lose the weight. And be sure to take good 'before' measurements and pictures. I totally forgot to take measurements before and I keep kicking myself because I have nothing to compare to. I also had to just detach for a couple of days beforehand and not think too much about it.... Best of luck to you!!!