Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret, full feeling, satisfaction

Hi Sleevers. I'm 2 weeks and 3 days post sleeve op. Still on a mainly liquid diet but with a couple of soft meals in the last couple of days.

My questions. Is it normal to miss the way you ate before? The types of food, the portion sizes the satisfaction of a large meal?

Im finding myself missing these things and thinking what have I done!

ive lost 27lbs since my surgery date and I know I should be ecstatic about that and I am really happy about the weight loss but I get down sometimes missing my old food buddies. Does this pass?

When do you feel full with a small portion? I've not felt hungry since the surgery but just feel I'm going through the motions.

I have not had surgery yet but in the process of losing weight pre-surgery. It's all in the mindset. I used to "live to eat" but now I only "eat to live". "Live to eat" means I couldn't wait until the next meal, or next snack. I've been working on switching my thoughts to not making food the big ritual it was. It's now like putting gas in my car. My body needs nutrition and I give it that but my focus now is on other parts of my life. I hope that's helpful.

Try to keep in mind it is the way you were doing things before that was making you unhealthy and overweight. So do not morn for the things that were unhealthy, instead try to welcome the change as a learning experience and a new way to do things the right way. After all it is not everyday we get to have a second chance to try to get things right.

Of course it's normal. So are the feelings of regret and lack of satisfaction of eating and/or feelings of satiation. We all go through a phase of "What have I done?". A drastic step of altering your body to assist in losing weight must impact each of us emotionally. We just all deal with it differently. Me personally, it was frustration. Once I was able to focus on something other than food though, it all fell in line.

The sensation of fullness will come back once your stomach regains feeling. With the scar tissue, it will take a while. Which is why weighing food is so important. Commit to the lifestyle for 2 years to firmly cement the habits. By that time, you will not miss things from pre-op.

Once you are used to smaller portions. Eating some things are going to feel like a feast. 4 ounces of a dense meat, will make you very full and you will be satisfied on much less.

I understand missing eating large amounts, I had a phase like that around 9 months. So I started eating a bag of baby spinach every afternoon. It was okay for like a week, but I got bored with eating large quantities. Just not really necessary. So if you want to eat a lot there are plenty of option of things you can eat large portions of like veggies and stay on plan. Hopefully you will find you just don't want to.

Everyone misses food when they aren't really eating much. Once more of your swelling has gone down and you have more options, these feelings will fade.

To be honest I actually hate eating since surgery and have to make myself. If I could take a pill that provides my body with enough nutrients to be healthy I would just to not have to waste my time.

Going from a state of eating when bored or stressed to not even really caring about food I'd say is quite a drastic change.

To be honest I actually hate eating since surgery and have to make myself. If I could take a pill that provides my body with enough nutrients to be healthy I would just to not have to waste my time.
Going from a state of eating when bored or stressed to not even really caring about food I'd say is quite a drastic change.

This is my fantasy. Do you do anything instead to deal with stress and boredom?

Hi Sleevers. I'm 2 weeks and 3 days post sleeve op. Still on a mainly liquid diet but with a couple of soft meals in the last couple of days.
My questions. Is it normal to miss the way you ate before? The types of food, the portion sizes the satisfaction of a large meal?
Im finding myself missing these things and thinking what have I done!
ive lost 27lbs since my surgery date and I know I should be ecstatic about that and I am really happy about the weight loss but I get down sometimes missing my old food buddies. Does this pass?
When do you feel full with a small portion? I've not felt hungry since the surgery but just feel I'm going through the motions.

I am a grazer so I never ate huge portions. I actually envy non grazers because it's more dangerous (weight gain wise). I wish I ate big meals although now that I'm reading this it's clear we all have a cross to bear.
My NUT told me that nearly everyone has a moment of regret but she also said in nearly everyone it passes and they move to elation. I hope that's what happens for you.
9 days till surgery for me. I'm having all kinds of nerves.

I am 16 days post op & have also been feeling a sense of loss. I keep wondering when/if the feeling of "missing something" will pass. I don't know if it is because my favorite foods were crunchy and salty and all I get to eat right now is soft and creamy or liquids. Maybe I am just now realizing how often I was eating. I was a big snacker & grazer. I love to cook for my family & I also realize now how many BLTs (bites, licks & tastes) I was taking. That backfired on me today and I am miserable. Belly pain & gas & it feels like I have food stuck in my throat- I don't, I think it might be swelling or just discomfort from overeating or eating too fast and without thinking about what I was doing. Hoping this will pass soon, I am ready for the "elated" feeling I keep hearing about.

I am 16 days post op & have also been feeling a sense of loss. I keep wondering when/if the feeling of "missing something" will pass. I don't know if it is because my favorite foods were crunchy and salty and all I get to eat right now is soft and creamy or liquids. Maybe I am just now realizing how often I was eating. I was a big snacker & grazer. I love to cook for my family & I also realize now how many BLTs (bites, licks & tastes) I was taking. That backfired on me today and I am miserable. Belly pain & gas & it feels like I have food stuck in my throat- I don't, I think it might be swelling or just discomfort from overeating or eating too fast and without thinking about what I was doing. Hoping this will pass soon, I am ready for the "elated" feeling I keep hearing about.

Ugh. Did you eat something you shouldn't have? Sorry you're feeling crappy. I hope the elated arrives soon but I fear it's a few weeks away. Please remind me of this when I'm in this funky phase. I feel for you.

I still eat the things I loved to eat before, most of them. It's just, instead of eating enough to make me fat, now, I eat ONE BITE OF THEM when SOMEONE ELSE orders it at a restaurant -- and that's enough to leave me satisfied. Don't think of this as the end of being a foodie, because I certainly still love food.

I just don't love to EAT.

The trick is the same thing that all those skinny people all over the world use: moderation. You'll be satisfied with less, and you won't feel like you're missing out.

I still eat the things I loved to eat before, most of them. It's just, instead of eating enough to make me fat, now, I eat ONE BITE OF THEM when SOMEONE ELSE orders it at a restaurant -- and that's enough to leave me satisfied. Don't think of this as the end of being a foodie, because I certainly still love food.< br> I just don't love to EAT.
The trick is the same thing that all those skinny people all over the world use: moderation. You'll be satisfied with less, and you won't feel like you're missing out.

How long ago did you have surgery? Encouraging!